Modding Help Decorative sign not showing up

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Naddox, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Hey everyone. I'm making a mod that makes some generic signs for people to use for whatever reasons and I am having some issues. I can give myself the sign with /spawnitem and it will show the icon for it in my inventory. But when I place it in the world, its blank/empty space. I know it actually places because the item comes out of my inventory and I can use the MM to break it off the wall and see the icon image drop to the floor. Can anyone tell me whats going on here and if so please explain what is/was happening?

Here is the graphic itself.
    [​IMG]

And the code.

signitems.object
    Code:
    {
      "objectName" : "signitems",
      "colonyTags" : ["misc"],
      "rarity" : "Common",
      "description" : "...",
      "shortdescription" : "Sign Items",
      "race" : "generic",
      "category" : "decorative",
      "price" : 0,

"inventoryIcon" : "signicon.png",
      "orientations" : [
        {
          "image" : "signitems.png:<color>.<frame>",
          "flipImages" : false,
          "imagePosition" : [1, 0],
          "frames" : 6,
          "animationCycle" : 1.0,

"spaceScan" : 0.1,
          "anchors" : [ "background" ]

}
      ]
    }

Someone is going to point out that there are actually 7 frames in my image and my code is only calling for 6. I don't want to use the 7th frame in this item. I want to make to versions, 1 that glitches and uses the last frame, and 1 that doesn't glitch or use the last frame.

signitems.frames
    Code:
    {

"frameGrid" : {
        "size" : [36, 12],
        "dimensions" : [3, 1],
        "names" : [
          [ "default.0", "default.1", "default.2", "default.3", "default.4", "default.5", ]
        ]

}
    }

--- Post updated ---
    Going to give this a bump as I still haven't figured this out.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The dimentions on your frames file only says 3,1 when it should say 7,1. Even if you are only using 6 you still need to define them all. The 6 on your object is fine though.

3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

And when in doubt, check the log file. /starbound/storage/starbound.log is the quinessential debugging tool for Starbound and reading it will catch most errors.

4. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

How do you find what you should use for dimensions?

5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Dimensions is the number of columns and rows of frames on the x and y axes. Since you have seven columns of sprites and one row of sprites, your dimensions value is [7, 1].

6. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Ah, that makes sense. So its working now, but it doesn't draw a ghost image of it when placing. How can I fix that?
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, I have no idea why, but its making it so only the left end of the sign is the actual object. The rest draws over everything and if you try and break the sign from the middle or the right side, nothing happens.
    [​IMG]