1. If you need help with your pre-order or technical support for Starbound, please use the support forum instead. Do not post Starbound-related things here.

Dear admins

Discussion in 'General Forum Help' started by Jilly Bob the Third, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jilly Bob the Third

Jilly Bob the Third Star Wrangler

i would like to become a moderator.
    My reasons:
    I have plenty experience in starbound specifically.
    I am familiar with the rules.
    I think I could be a big help to the users.
    It seems nice and productive.
    My terms:
    I never want to see a single email from anyone from this forum or chucklefish unless it's chucklefish responding to a bug report.

Thanks in advance, and please consider this.

Should you need more reasons I could give more.

2. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

I am not sure you can make any terms, or ask anything at all. You have to earn moderator status, it is not given to you.

CorraidhĂ­n and Firebird Zoom like this.
  3. Jilly Bob the Third

I just asking for it.

4. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

you're pretty new and pretty small, also, so even if they had something you could apply with, you likely would not get accepted

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  5. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

As far as I know, they aren't taking applications anymore.

6. Jilly Bob the Third

Darn it

I also think the custom title it comes with would be nice, I'd rather have a custom title than the ones pretty much any user given enough time could get.

7. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

What do you think are the responsibilities of a moderator?
    What do you expect from being a moderator?
    Why do you want to be a moderator after such a short time?

Your reasons you bring in can also be achieved as a normal user.

~ Iris ~

Jonesy and Firebird Zoom like this.
  8. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

I don't think you even know what you are asking. Even by some rare chance they even chose you, this is a job, you will be working as a moderator for this server. You will be expected to put up with all of us whining and complaining all day long when even a pixel on Starbound or Stardew Valley doesn't work. Moderators have to put up with some of the most selfish and belligerent people around. People will curse you, spout profanity at you, and generally disrespect you. And when they are not doing that, they are constantly crying at you that their game doesn't work, and a lot of the time they won't give you the proper log so you can fix it.

Simply put, Moderators have to put up with our hell. Are you prepared to handle that EVERY SINGLE DAY?

9. Jilly Bob the Third

I think being a moderator means, nicely and not rudely, helping users not break rules, helping users when they have a question, and being a help to this community

I expect that from being a moderator I can assist the other moderators in their moderator duties, when one is offline or busy doing something else, I am generally thick skinned, ain't no one gonna hurt my feelings, so the whiny users aren't that big of a problem.

I want to be a moderator, primarily because I think I could be a huge help to everyone here.

And I am serious I don't want a single email from chucklefish, unless you're responding to a bug report.
    Am I missing anything here?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  10. If we see someone who demonstrates the qualities we look for in moderators, we may reach out, but we aren't actively searching for moderators at this time. As Iris said, a lot of why you want to be a moderator can be done without moderator status, and doing those things as a regular member is a way you can demonstrate to us that we should consider you.
    This should probably be the last thing on your mind if you want to be a moderator.
    I'm not really sure what you're asking here.

The | Suit, Jonesy and Firebird Zoom like this.
  11. Jilly Bob the Third

I'm saying I don't want chucklefish emailing me unless they are responding to my bug reports

12. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

As was said to me when I became a moderator; the best moderators are those who don't seek to become one.

You've broken the rules twice already, mouthed off at moderation staff on several occasions and admitted to keeping tabs on us out of paranoia. That's not an impressive behaviour record, especially for someone who's only been here a couple of weeks. I don't want to be mean, but this application isn't going to lead to anything.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  13. Jilly Bob the Third

then just delete this thread...

14. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I think some clarification here is required on what you are doing wrong and to give a good idea to others who maybe curious.

Moderators are members with a proven track record, which means they have spent a lot of time on the forum, made quite a few posts and shown their true personality.
    There is no point in asking for something unless someone knows you and such a person in charge can vouch for you.
    No one in staff knows who you are, though we are getting to learn quite well how you act and deal with situations.

To help bring your aspirations to more grounded level - moderators help decide on future moderators. We constantly monitor the community looking for people who are a paragon of the community.
    They have shown through the years that they are not only active and friendly but also contribute to the community.
    You should ask your self - what exactly did you contribute before requesting to be a moderator besides your own audacious claims?
    Simply saying you are "helpful" and " know a lot" means nothing. After all we can easily look up every post you made and check the validity of those claims.
    Simply helping one or two people also means nothing, we have members that helped hundreds and in some cases thousands of other users through their contributions whether it by through art, tutorials or tech support, or just by being friendly.

The gist of it is 2 things.
    We decide moderators by actions and not words, and currently none of your actions bode confidence.
    You posted in 4 places requesting to be a moderator, for some reason thinking it would make a difference. We were notified after the first attempt we are constantly monitoring the forums.

Don't take this post the wrong way, I took the time to write it so you clearly understand what you are doing wrong.
    Spend a year actually showing you are a benefit - and that you matured immensely within that time frame - and we will nominate those would be useful to the community at large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.