1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Dashing: I know I'm wasting my time.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Rylis, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Rylis

Rylis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just found out that jumping while in a dash, which kept momentum, which played like Megaman X, was removed. Because it was OP when combined with double jumping.

This... killed me. Starbound was a culmination of the decades of platforming. Megaman X is my favorite engine of all time and that series is dead. To have it back in a sandbox mine-craft style game was a godsend. To have that taken away. It's soul crushing.

Was it impossible to make a double jump stop the momentum? To make a version of dash that can't allow double jumping? You just had to quit?

I've been here before with several games. I know what reaction I'll get from the community. And I know my input won't matter.

Don't try too hard to answer me. I won't be checking this.

I'll keep playing Starbound. It's too good to let go. But this is hard. I was so excited. But please. There has to be a way. I know dashing was meant to be a dodge, but it's too fast, too short. I simply don't use it in combat.

But I know I don't matter. So have fun anyway. I'll just deal.

Thanks for a great game.

To any "fans" who are just going to shit-post this. Why even? Go kick a child. It feels better.

Niner-7 and ComatosePhoenix like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Don't put yourself down, OP. The game has its fair share of issues like this, so it's alright to bring them up for discussion.

Not really alright to tell people to go kick children, though. It's a pretty sour note to end on, all things considered.

Sylxeria likes this.
  3. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Kicking children is fun, especially if you've got a freezer somewhere

Now, I don't know if you like modding, but I can suggest you to take a look into da workshop
    There's a mod that fixes your issue

4. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

Hey, I agree 100% that the dashing and jumping mechanics feel unnecessarily limited. Until I downloaded a mod that rebound dashing to the up key I basically only remembered to use it when I was walking around in the outpost. In the end it doesn't even matter as between ropes, Multijump, and the ferozium staff you can get anywhere in the game anyway.

STCW262 and Pingeh like this.
  5. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

This is why mods are a blessing.

6. Grubageddon

Grubageddon Title Not Found

Try the "sprint" tech. Might be more up your ally, honestly. You don't lose forward momentum when jumping; double- and triple- jumping is just disabled until you cancel out of the sprint.

7. real cheese

real cheese Void-Bound Voyager

why not cheese it up a bit with a mod?
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/ultra-techs.3810/
    5 techs with quests to obtain them:

Ultra-Dash: A longer dash that has reduced cooldown and keeps your momentum. - Unlock after obtaining the floran artifact
    Omni Jump: A multi jump that not only has more height, but provides 8 jumps as well. - Unlock after obtaining the hylotl artifact
    Omni Wall Jump: A wall jump that has 5 jumps. - Unlock after obtaining the hylotl artifact
    Omega-Dash: A longer, faster dash that has no cooldown and keeps your momentum. - Unlock after obtaining the glitch artifact
    Omega Jump: Infinite jumps. - Unlock after obtaining the glitch artifact

a bit overpowered/cheaty if you abuse them, but it's your game - no sense going around feeling hobbled

8. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

Hm. I have noticed the devs seem to want us to move around with all the agility of a dead tree. They especially hate the dash tech, because how dare we have a good way to deal with all the numerous mountains and odd shaped pits. Seriously though, the constant nerfs to mobility techs are really grinding my gears.

9. real cheese

real cheese Void-Bound Voyager

i feel like it's geared more toward hiding any terrain generation, like they worry about players moving too fast and seeing pop-in. bethsoft did this in fallout 3/new vegas, reduced movement speed to a slow plod, just so the aging oblivion engine (there was a whole movement speed skill progression in oblivion called athletics!) could render the environment.

10. Kaede Grimwater

That would be a good excuse, if it wasn't for the fact that the game has trouble loading anyway.

11. ComatosePhoenix

Honestly I think they nerfed movement speed so you have a reason to use the vehicles. Because why else would you drive a car in a 2d side scroller?

12. Kaede Grimwater

A car that is super annoying to drive and slows the game down for some reason.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Uh, I feel that this post is... something I disagree with.

1). FO3/NV does not have problems with players "moving too fast". It was changed to what it was because they wanted a unified movement speed, and they picked a movement speed that seemed reasonable.

2). Athletics sucked, and sucked hard in Morrowind and Oblivion, especially Morrowind. Your starting speed was SO FREAKING SLOW that it was unbearable. It has to be, for it to be balanced, but yet on the high end of the spectrum, should you have your character running into a wall for 100 hours while you sleep at nights, you'll find that your movement speed is actually problematic, because if you want to talk about games not loading terrain very well, Morrowwind was famous for the pauses every few seconds to load new terrain.

3). The Athletics/Acrobatics skill was easily broken to allow ridiculous crap like jumps from one end of the continent to the other or other ridiculous stuff.

4). Athletics was a horrible skill to level up. I remember being in the low 40s on Oblivion. I swam from Bruma, way down to Leyawiin, and only saw a 30% of a level increase. Then I ran from Leyawiin, clear up to the imperial city, all the way to the western town, and then all the way to the eastern town before I finally got 1 level of Athletics, and this took over an hour to do.

So, good riddance to bad rubbish. They removed two skills that sucked from the start, and made everybody's move/jump the same 'cept for the occasional spell or item that adds a temporary buff.

The only thing I wish the had done in FO3/NV, was the Sprint button from Skyrim. That would have been awesome.

But, in FO3/NV, there are 500 million fast-travel points, and you USUALLY don't want to speedrun through dungeons, because that's an excellent way to die.

Now, back on topic............

I find that I really don't have much trouble, except for high mountains and steep cliffs, and Dash won't help me there. What I wish we had was better vertical movement. I'll use Sprint for fast horizontal movement, and yes, you CAN double-jump out of a Sprint -- you Sprint, jump, and let off the A or D key a split second before you hit the jump key. You will lose some momentum, but you will get a better jump than if you had done it without the Sprint.

I wish we had some kind of jetpack or something that didn't conflict with Double-Jump. An equippable Back Item that allows us to have Edge of Space-style Jetpacks. I know mods will add things like Rocket Boots, but again, I gotta replace my Double Jump with it and I just don't wanna do that.

Jonesy and Kaede Grimwater like this.
  14. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

because mods should not do the basic balance and stuff in a game, they should spice up what already exists.

it only sucked if you took to less at character generation, but yes it felt when chosen at slowest, totally unrealistically slow.

Pingeh likes this.
  15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I assume you mean Major/Minor/Etc?

If you took Athletics or Acrobatics as a Major/Minor skill, then you end up with uncontrollable (and sucky!) levelups early-game and a lack of options on how to levelup later game, because early game you get Athletics/Acrobatics skills too fast, and late game, well as I said above, those two skills sucked to level.

But putting it as a Etc skill in Morrowind, meant that you limped along slower than a 90 year old with a walker.

But if you put it as a Major skill, yeah you can walk decently, but you get a lot of sucky levelups.

You're screwed either way.

The game is already balanced reasonably enough.

Adding a mid-air Dash is "spicing up" what already exists, lol.

They took out mid-air Dash because it seemed unbalanced. If you wanna spice your game up and put it back in, hey, go for it! That's what mods are for.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  16. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

sucky levelups? for what? being ubergod like?

all you need in this game was some proper block and armor skill + alchemy and any one hand. (and i am not talking about the stacking alchemy exploit). the rest was just for fancyness and way more than one ever would need. In my second playthrough all I did was grabbing the money form the trestump, travelled to balmora, ported to the mages guild headquarter, and used that bit of money to make alchemy form 5 to 100. (which is enough when you can resell potions) after this the only mobs that ever can kill you were some on sosltheim with paralyse wepaons, anything else couldn't out damage any HP regeneration pot made with alchemy 100.And wiht this alchemy you are so rich you don't care anymore about anything as well as everytime you need money you just make some potions and sell them.

And then when you consider these minor things as "screwing up" the character I do undertsand how you may think mid air dash was "spicing" up things. This game is far from balanced. No idea what makes you think it is.

Sb is to abroken degree easy and some of the moves are just a waste of energy you can ignore for better things.

17. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

This isn't the Elder Scrolls thread, guys. Cast Divine Intervention if you want to discuss it Elsweyr, but this isn't the thread for it.

Kaede Grimwater likes this.
  18. Kaede Grimwater

That was awesome.

Jonesy likes this.
  19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

20. ComatosePhoenix

The problem with mobility techs is that aside from multi-jump and sprint, they are all a bit situational. The blink dash I think is the worst off of the lot. I'd rather see it reworked into a proper blink ability that's tied to an item or something. outside of dodging boss attacks, the game doesn't really lend itself to the quick dodgy ability. Similarly the wall jump is really good IF you build structures to take advantage of its unique movement options. The random generation doesn't let you take advantage of it and the smart thing to do is to just build a ladder. Rocket Jump I've never found a use for that couldn't be more easily accomplished with a rope.

The spheres are the only techs I feel have some choices. Aqua sphere is an excellent option for getting out of oceans in a reasonable amount of time and simplifies exploring the surface of water. Sonic sphere is actually alright, Though I feel the vanilla sphere could be faster thats probably cause I'm used to a mod that makes it a bit stupid. The spike sphere is really good too.

note that my memory on the vanilla skills is a bit fuzzy as I downloaded a mod pretty early on that I only recently realized changed the way some techs worked. I thought it was just the press up to dash mod but I installed the full rework on accident. Not taking it off now.

Kaede Grimwater likes this.