1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion CytoWrapper - Beta Public Release

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by IcyPhoenix, Feb 12, 2014.

1. FuzzyThor

FuzzyThor Existential Complex

Why is the source for this wrapper closed? Should we put faith into someone who is so quick to insult members of the community? How do we know that you wont put any malicious code into the closed source .exe? I know how easy it is to make a back door agent in a exe that once ran lets who ever is on the other side in to disable peripherals, steal our information, and wipe our drive clean. From seeing a bunch of your replies to people and you were quite rude with some of them. If you want to gains peoples trust you should be more humble. Maybe if you post your source onto github you would get more followers and less negativity.

Underbalanced likes this.
  2. Underbalanced

Underbalanced Phantasmal Quasar

Perfectly said. I love chucklefish's double standard and the communities.

3. IcyPhoenix

IcyPhoenix Subatomic Cosmonaut

As mentioned on the first post, don't use it if you don't trust me - this has been okay'd by a moderator on the forum - so if you have a problem please take it up with the moderators.
    No where in my post do I state that I am looking to gain your trust, as with everything online trust your own judgement, but in this particular cause keep it to yourself or start a new thread - if you have a problem with it.

4. FuzzyThor

FuzzyThor Existential Complex

You know this is a public forum and everyone is entitled to voice their opinion good or bad. You have no right to tell people to shut up. No where in my post did I state about my trust with you. I also think that if you want to develop a program for the starbound community to adopt and use it, it would be common sense to prove to us you mean well. But telling us to shut up or post somewhere else makes me think you're trying to hide something. Instead of trying to sidestep my concerns why don't you be more professional and address them other then dogmatically telling my to shove off.

5. Underbalanced

Lets bring starrybound back! Hey if this wrappers aloud starrybound should be too. Its been verified clean.

6. IcyPhoenix

No I'm telling you not to post in here, as to keep this for support for the wrapper, not for complaints about non-open sourced software, which would be a completely separate topic, which you guys can discuss at your own leisure.

EDIT: I didn't tell you to shutup, I told you to take your complaints to a thread more suitable, rather then posting on this support thread.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. IcyPhoenix

Release
    0.5.8 Public Beta
    • Quick update for the new patch - feature requests will be in a later patch.

8. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

@FuzzyThor , @Underbalanced

He's already had to have it cleared by a developer to be able to post it here to begin with.

Additionally, I'd say he's been more than patient with some of the folks that have gone through this thread spouting out claims that it's related to Starrybound or that because its closed source it should automatically be regarded as malicious content.

If you don't trust him, don't download the wrapper. It's really that simple. If you have a problem with the wrapper please notify a moderator, admin or a developer.

9. Underbalanced

This is interesting considering that the community manager previously mentioned that .exes were questionable. Even with an open source program that had an .exe they pulled it down. Sounds inconsistent to say the least.

10. kamilion

kamilion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]
    Hm, why do several of these function signatures match starrybound's? like SendCommandMessage?
    The rest have been obfuscated so we can't easily tell what they are. None of the code in the CytoWrapper.* space is easily readable.

I have a real problem with the legitimacy of this wrapper if it uses *any* of starrybound's GPLv3 source code.
    Why would they go through the trouble to pay for .NET obfuscation software?

What could be hidden in this? As a security professional, If *I* have trouble figuring this stuff out, I can't really trust it. Or run it on a windows machine. (Say, why's it windows-only, anyway? Isn't that the leaky-boat OS when it comes to security?)
    I ran starrybound quite a lot, always built it myself with visual studio 2013 on my own computer.
    I read through the source enough times to make a bunch of changes for my own server.
    I verified with my own eyes that nothing malicious came into my system.

And I pretty much got destroyed by reddit downvotes when molly and tiy pulled starrybound from the mod list.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/c...reator_of_the_starrybound_is_the_same/celk6ev

As unhappy as that made me, my challenge from that post still stands.
    Likewise, with Cytodev; if anyone else can definitively point out anything fishy, please step up and make your voice heard.
    The evidence I present is shaky at best due to the .NET obfuscator's meddling.

However, as a member of the TShock development group; I can tell you that we started collecting statistics on which servers ran on mono on linux and osx, and which servers ran on .net and windows.
    Starrybound's tracker code resembles ours a great deal, and I would not be suprised if starrybound's tracker code was derived from TShock's, as the two projects are written in C# and slightly interrelated members of the development groups.

Edit: One of the CytoDev people reached out to me; turns out it's someone I know from the TShock community.
    Consider his independant C# skills vouched for. Still disappointed in the Obfuscation. The unobfuscated parts of the source are apparently intended to support 3rd party plugin development at a later time.

(These days, I prefer starrypy to protect my server, since python is one of those languages that one cannot easily obfuscate without including the kitchen sink. lots of nifty plugins too, all in good old eyeball-introspection plaintext.)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  11. Mortalsinn

Mortalsinn Zero Gravity Genie

Seriously guys, back off. He's not forcing anyone to use it, it's your bloody choice. This is his project and if he doesn't want to share the source then he doesn't have to. That whole starrybound mess made everyone paranoid and out for blood.

I personally love this wrapper, it has worked perfect since day one and I am thankful for it.

12. Underbalanced

I am writing some plugins for starrypy. Since I know some python. I remember that on the reddit post they said call backs are fishy.... Minecraft plugins use them all the time.

13. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

Yes, we know .exes are questionable. That's why this had to be approved by a dev while it was still on its first page. It was reported as such and was review by me and one of the developers. That would be why it's still here.

I wasn't involved in the whole Starrybound fiasco, so I don't know any specifics of that particular project but it seems as though it was pulled down because of a mix of public concern and perhaps a mishandling of the situation in general.

14. DarkOS

DarkOS Big Damn Hero

I've worked with Icy for a while with Terraria. I trust him and I have run dedicated game servers for years. People, relax and change the channel if you don't like whats on.

15. IcyPhoenix

Some of the ideas where based off starrybounds commands, ie/ command names and switches, its because coming up with your own style sometimes isn't as user friendly as others, hence why you'll start seeing some tshock type commands shortly, since they have been tried and tested.

Its windows only currently because we are using some non-mono compatible stuff, we've identified it using the mono tool, and we'll be rectifying that down the track, but my priorities is not making it linux (/variants) compatible - only because I do not personally use a linux server, and this started as a private project.

Kamilion, you yourself should understand the risks of open source, security through obscurity is a valid methodology - but in no way is that the aim of why its closed source.

16. kamilion

kamilion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The only risks I'm aware of with closed source code is monetary; and since the code is yours to do with as you will, I'm just gonna bow out.
    Just please, don't repeat the travesty that was /register... I wrote that code for TShock long long ago. It was crap then. It may be a little less crap now that a couple others have polished my turd, but you can't turn shit into gold.

17. Brockway

Brockway Pangalactic Porcupine

I was wondering how long it would be to make a polemique again !
    i have my answer !
    But seriously Starbound staff should apologize to Zidonuke, since his code was clean.
    i have 0 relations with him, but he provide me a great wrapper for some time (him and his team), and i thanks him for that.
    And i thanks Icy for his wrapper too, but it need a lot of work...

Underbalanced likes this.
  18. IcyPhoenix

what was wrong with /register - I still don't like uuid logins, cause uuid is character specific, and losing your character makes you lose your login without an alternative /login.

19. Hant

Hant Yeah, You!

Thanks a lot :) You're the best! :)
    If you have a PayPal Link, i will donate you a Beer :p
    Edit: On Your Website :) If the update come, i will donate :)

20. BaconLord

BaconLord Aquatic Astronaut

looks good but when i open cytowrapper...it says STARBOUND PORT NOT MATCHING CYTOWRAPPER SERER PORT or something like that..any way to fix this please