Modding Help Custom Ship Question

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by projectmayhem, May 28, 2017.

1. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

Was looking on adding some custom ships to my Star Wars mod. However, I wanted to only use 1 ship design. I'm reading over a tutorial and I "think" I understand it correctly. I should be able to use just one ship design, and then the separate
    structure and block files can "unlock" more parts of the ship, correct?

--edit--
    Ok, maybe I don't understand it. Anyone have a good tutorial link? The one I found in the modding guides wasn't easy to understand. The block.png is a lot smaller than the ships.png. What is the scale difference?

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Think of the block.png file as a map of how the actual blocks are going to be laid out in your ship. Each pixel represents one in-game block, and each in-game block is 8x8 pixels in size. that is why there is a size difference between the two files.

3. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

So if I wanted to see exactly where each block will be, I can increase the block.png to 8 x its size?

**edit**

Guess not, looking at the humanT4ship files, the height and width dont match up if i increase the size 8 times

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  4. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

You can in fact do that. The resulting image dimensions probably won't match because the ship images will need to be bigger because the actual image will take up more space than the blocks. I think this is done so the block images don't have too much empty space resulting in unnecessarily larger file sizes. The ship image is forced into alignment with the blocks using the position line in the structure files. You'll notice that after tier 3 when the ship starts to get bigger the position is different for nearly all tiers.

While making the ship you can copy your block image into your ship image as a new layer and resize it like you mentioned. Just make sure your ship image file dimensions are all divisible by eight, and when you place your block image in to start making the ship image place it with an 8x8 grid in mind so that it falls into that spacing or else it will be hard to find the right position when editing the structure file.

projectmayhem likes this.