Modding Help Custom Ore not spawning

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by projectmayhem, Apr 5, 2017.

1. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

I've made three ores, so far I've found two of them, one time each. When you change the values in your oredistribution.config patch, it should take effect when you visit a new planet right?

Here is my oreconfig file

[
    {
    "op" : "add",
    "path" : "/depth1/0/1/-",
    "value" : [ "kyber", 0.40]
    },

{
    "path" : "/depth2/0/1/-",
    "value" : [ "kyber", 0.50]
    },

{
    "path" : "/depth3/0/1/-",
    "value" : [ "kyber", 0.50]
    },

{
    "path" : "/core/0/1/-",
    "value" : [ "kyber", 0.60]
    },

{
    "path" : "/depth2/0/1/-",
    "value" : [ "junk", 0.40]
    },

{
    "path" : "/depth3/0/1/-",
    },

{
    "path" : "/core/0/1/-",
    },

{
    "path" : "/depth3/0/1/2/-",
    "value" : [ "corax", 0.40]
    },

{
    "path" : "/depth2/0/1/2/-",
    },

{
    "path" : "/core/0/1/2/-",
    }

]

2. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

some of the paths in your patch are flubbed. depth3/0/1/- is correct
    depth3/0/1/2/- is not correct

bk3k likes this.
  3. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I recommend using code tags too, so you don't loose your whitespace, but good enough in this case. Anyhow...

Besides checking over your paths again, are you using things like FU and ISE4? Keep in mind that your ore might get crowded out a bit in that case. You'd still find it, but not as much for sure.

4. projectmayhem

What is FU and ISE4?

Edit: Guess I should ask what you mean by using code tags so I don't lose my white space.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  5. projectmayhem

What makes ths second one incorrect? I thought the numbers indicated the threat level the planet could be for it to spawn

6. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

About the code tags, specifically I mean use one of the button controls just above the text box you type into. Insert/code then paste your code. Then it won't delete your extra whitespace aka indentation.

FU is short for Frackin Universe. ISE4 is also a mod that add ores. That's why I say your own ore could get crowded out when these two are used. When Starbound wants to add an ore, it chooses from a weighted list. More options make each choice less likely.

As such you might want more total ore to be spawned when these mods are also active. In order to compensate for the reduced selection chance that is.

8. projectmayhem

Ahh...ok. No, my mod is the only one I use when testing. Well, and a character extender to see the extra species. Also, that file just happened to have no indention. But I'll make sure to use the Code button for now on

9. projectmayhem

Ok let me see if I understand this right, the page I was looking at, some of the image links are broken, but I think I understand....

Code:
    {
    "path" : "/depth1/0/1/-",
    "value" : [ "kyber", 0.40]
    },
    Basic that is saying, I want to go into the depth1 path, then the /0 means, Im going into the first array, which is the 0.5 threat level, then the /1 means I'm going into the first array for that threat level, which is where all the ore is listed, and the /- means I want my ore to be listed last in that array. So if I want my ore to spawn on higher threat level planets, instead of doing this...

Code:
    {
    "path" : "/depth3/0/1/2/-",
    }
    Like I have above, I would do this instead...

Code:
    {
    "path" : "/depth3/1/1/-",
    },
    That would mean I want to look at the depth3 path, the second array, which would be threat 1.5, then the first array, which is ore, and put my ore last. Correct?

And lastly, how popular are these other mods? FU and ISE4? Should I just stick to use vanilla ores for my recipes? Or maybe just add the Kyber Crystals for lightsaber recipes? I definitely don't want to make it where the mod doesn't play well due to trouble finding ore.

IHart likes this.
  10. projectmayhem

Ok, when I used http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com/jsonpatch.jsp it said success when I used my edited version of the patch, even though the results are hard to read through, it looks like all my ores are spawning on the correct depths and threat levels now. Thank you so much for the help and the link to that pathing guide, that helps tremendously.