Modding Help Custom Gift Dialog Responses?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Baardvaark, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Baardvaark

Baardvaark Space Hobo

Hello, brand new here! Stardew Valley has piqued my interest but I do have some things I'd like to tweak, and perhaps add content as well. In particular, I'm considering reworking the preferred gifts a bit, particularly making artifacts more useful, and loved gifts in general a bit difficult to obtain. For example, the Wizard loves Rare Disc for its magic, now only likes solar and dark essences instead of loving them. Maru loves the dwarf machine. Stuff like that.

From what I've gathered, every artifact is hated, except the dwarf liking the dwarf artifacts. So basically most of the artifacts are completely useless after you've donated one of them (and they mostly don't sell for much either), though perhaps I'm wrong and there's some other situation artifacts can be used. Let me know if there is, as well as if there's already mod doing what I'm suggesting.

I was just wondering if it was possible to make custom dialog responses to specific gifts. Am I going to have to make special events for each one? Is giving a specific gift as an initial trigger for an event even possible? Frankly, if I can't add specific dialogs related to the gifts, I'm probably not going to bother, unless people are really interested in this. Specific suggestions for good artifact gifts for characters would be helpful for speeding that up.

Thanks, and I hope to see the modding of Stardew grow. As silly as this sounds, I think Stardew Valley could be the Skyrim of farming sims :p

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Like the idea, if you are willing to use SMAPI, you should be able to do some trickery to have custom dialogue based on the gift given, but it would be quite a bit of work to get working reliably.

• Ailin

Ailin Title Not Found

I don't know if it is possible to add a custom dialogue for a gift, as I don't know how to program, but using SMAPI it probably is... Anyway, give more utility to the artifacts would be nice! Things like the fan, the flute, the dolls... I think they sound like a good gift!

If the dialogue part can be done, are you planning add specific dialogues just for the artifacts or for all gifts? I've been playing Rune Factory for a while and seems like all characters have specific responses for certain gifts, even giving you hints about what they like when you give a bad gift. I would like to see something like that in SV.

• Baardvaark

Baardvaark Space Hobo

Well I don't know how to program either, so dialogs probably aren't happening, unless someone can figure the code out and it's more or less copy and paste for a bunch of different gifts. I probably wouldn't be able to make dialog responses to every possible gift, but maybe all the loved ones and some of the hated ones. But since gift-giving is the primary means of building friendship, its kind of sad how generic all the responses are.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Once you get the framework setup for it, then it is pretty much copy-paste yes :)

• Baardvaark

Baardvaark Space Hobo

So I've been trying to see if there's some easy way to do this with the xnbs, and I thought maybe I could use mail conditions to send letters after a character received a specific gift, but I don't know if there's a "specific gift given" mail condition (e.g., g Emily 211). Is there a list of mail event conditions somewhere or basically just something you have to figure out?