Custom built elevator

Discussion in 'Other Fan Creations' started by Runescope, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Runescope

Runescope Master Chief

So seeing as it looks like elevators are being nerfed and only available through item spawning, I took it upon myself to figure out how to build one! I think it works even better than the ones in game actually, and while it looks complicated, compared to a lot of other wiring I've seen, it's fairly straight forward.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've only wired up one level because with more than one, it gets VERY hard to follow where the wires go.

A) The red BUTTON looking things are BUTTONS. The grey below them is a RAIL-BUMPER, it tells the platform to turn around and continue rather than fall off the rails. The green below that is a RAIL-STOP, if it's green, the platform doesn't stop, if it's red the rail stops. (You can see the one on the floor below as being red, behind the platform)
    B ) An OR switch. I don't need both inputs, I'm just using it as a relay so I can have one wire coming up from the floors below to connect to it rather than four from each floor.
    C) A stack of NOT Gates, one for each floor.
    D) A stack of LATCH Gates. These are used to retain a wire state, they're basically a simple 1-bit memory.
    E) The Platform. The yellow things on the other floor are walkways so that I don't have to jump a gap if I want to cross over.

Wires are either powered (bright red) or unpowered (dark red). Everything operates on an ON/OFF binary system. Blue circles are inputs, red circles are outputs.

Okay, so ... The BUTTONS (A) are all wired into the first RELAY ( B ) which connects to the power (top) input of all the LATCHES (D). When a BUTTON is pushed, it briefly sends power to the RELAY. The RELAY then sends that power to ALL the LATCHES. The BUTTON then powers off. Each BUTTON is ALSO wired to ONE NOT Gate (C), corresponding with it's floor. Each NOT is connected to the memory (bottom) input of ONE LATCH, once again corresponding to it's floor. Each LATCH is connected to ONE RAIL-STOP. Button positions correspond to floor levels. Lowest floor has the lowest BUTTON, highest floor has the highest BUTTON. Just like a real elevator.

When a BUTTON is pressed, it sends power to the RELAY which sends power to all the LATCHES, while also sending power to a single NOT. This means that the output of every LATCH is ON except for the one connected to the active NOT Gate.

The BUTTON powers off after half a second, so all the RELAYS power off, but the LATCHES remember their power state so all the RAIL-STOPS keep their status.

So, if I press the BUTTON for the fourth floor, all the RAIL-STOPS say GO except for the one of the fourth floor, so the platform loops around until it gets to the fourth floor and stops.

I get on the platform and press the BUTTON for the first floor. Now all the RAIL-STOPS say GO except for the one on the first floor, so the platform loops around (with me on it), until I get to the first floor.

In the third (darker) picture, I've added in the controls for the third floor with it's RELAYS. Each BUTTON goes to one RELAY and that RELAY goes to the RELAY ( B ) above. Each BUTTON also connects to an individual RELAY that connects to an individual NOT Gate (C) above.

I could have connected each BUTTON on the third floor directly to the NOT Gate(C), but this way I can connect the BUTTONS on the second floor to their RELAYS and those RELAYS to the RELAYS on the third floor, thus keeping the wiring less visually complicated (while more technically complicated lol )

Because everything is running off of one control circuit, the group of NOT Gates (C) and LATCHES (D), it works smoothly. If I'm on the second floor and I want the platform to stop at the second floor, I push the second BUTTON, and viola! It does! I was quite worried that I'd have to duplicate the control circuit for each level, but this works wonderfully and I can keep adding as many floors as I want, as long as I have room for buttons and Gates.

Nifty YesNo?

Mooncalf99 and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  2. Runescope

Runescope Master Chief

Here's the full base (built to test out the elevator & airlock) with all the wiring done up.
    [​IMG]

desbro, Mooncalf99 and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  3. desbro

desbro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is great, from what I'm reading, this means it's got a functional call elevator per floor button? Or did I misread that? I'm super new to wiring and notoriously bad with stuff like that, but I was definitely looking for a way to have the platforms essentially called to different levels via the wiring system.

4. Runescope

Runescope Master Chief

Yes indeed! You can call the platform to whatever floor you're on, and go to any other floor from there. :)

Edit: It's really expandable too! I've got a system with a 12 floor elevator. 2 columns of 6 buttons. It gets a bit difficult to fit all the logic gates in after that though. lol

5. desbro

You're my hero. :D
    In one of my base builds I had a loooooong elevator shaft that ran from ocean surface to floor and it was ages and luck waiting on various floors between those two points to hope a ride without programmed stops and a way to call the elevator to my position. xD
    (nevermind how long it took to lay all that track and not fall to my death, lol.)

6. Runescope

Runescope Master Chief

The next thing I'm going to try and do is link the two elevator towers, but with only one platform between them, and have a switch so that you can go from any floor on one side of the base, to any floor on the other side of the base. Of course, it doesn't have to be towers either. Because it's a rail system, it can be any shape you want.

7. desbro

THat'd be pretty sweet. When I get to it I may pick your brain. I'm still trying to figure out what world I REALLY want to colonize at present though, and scanning all the things. xD I've saved this post for when I get to it, it'll be iiiiiinfinitely more effective than my trial and error approach to making wiring work, LOL.

8. desbro

That method worked out pretty well for me! Just wanted to thank you. Only thing I did different was cut out the middleman with the extra switches and latches and wired them all into the main one. You wouldn't happen to have a solve for the delay that happens when say, your elevator's gone up a floor and then you call it back to the bottom, but you've got to wait until it makes its circuit back, issue, would you? I thought maybe you could employ the railswitch somehow, but my expertise is limited to seeing how people wire and then copying that and frankensteining it until it works. ;D