Modding Help Custom animation that uses existing sprites

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Fruiteyes, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Fruiteyes

Fruiteyes Phantasmal Quasar

After eight months away from modding in Starbound, I've returned, and my memory of how JSON and LUA works is rather foggy. So if the answer to this question is obvious, I apologize.

Currently, I'm trying to make it possible for players to interact with the wall shackles you find in Glitch dungeons, to get shackled to the wall with them. I believe that the falling animation will work fine for that, but that brings up an issue with the cape animation, if the player is wearing one. In the falling animation, the cape is curving upwards, which is what you'd expect for someone who's falling. However, when you're stationary, shackled to a wall, that doesn't make sense. So I'm trying to determine if there's a way to either:

1) Create a new animation by patching all of the humanoid .frames files as well as the back.frames file for the capes, while still somehow keeping the same sprite sheet.

2) Code the new wall shackle object in such a way that it references the falling frames for the humanoid files, but at the same time references the idle frames for the back file instead.

Is this possible? Or am I going to have to edit all of the humanoid sprite sheets too, even though the sprites I need already exist in the game files? On the other hand, is there a set of humanoid .animation files that I'm somehow not finding? If so, that would make this an easy fix.

2. Momokoaki

Momokoaki Space Hobo

Heya ! quick question, are you still working on this or dropped it ?

3. Fruiteyes

Fruiteyes Phantasmal Quasar

I am, although I haven't made any progress. If you have any tips or suggestions, they are very welcome ^^