RELEASED Custom Animal Breeds Toolkit (V0.6.1.2: Now with Lite Mode)

Discussion in 'Modding Tools' started by Lavapulse, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Lavapulse

Lavapulse Phantasmal Quasar

ToolkitPreviewCloseupV0.2.png
    I needed a more automated way to add extra animal breeds to my game, so I created this tool to help.

This tool allows you to create, install, and use new animal breeds. Think "white" vs. "brown" chicken... except now you can have as many colors as you want. Currently, this supports all purchasable animals (excluding horses).

The program should be able to find your files if you've installed via Steam. If a non Steam-user can tell me about their install configuration, I'll make it compatible.

Xnb_node is required for the full version
    . Find the download link here.

Lite version now included (read caution below):
    * If you run without xnb_node, you'll get the "lite" version, which can detect your installed breeds and allow to you edit your save file. The lite version cannot edit your FarmAnimals.xnb. Lite users must install a modified FarmAnimals.xnb before using custom breeds, or your game will crash. You may only use one overwrite, so different modified FarmAnimals.xnb's will not be compatible with each other.

Goals for the future:

1. Tool for creators to make and export their own breeds
    2. Tool for users to import a default-replacement and add it as an extra breed
    3. Ability to install and uninstall breeds for you
    4. Tool to add custom crafting recipes (requires ability to dynamically combine spritesheets) (Releasing as separate tool)
    5. Make a "lite" version that doesn't require xnb_node (for people that just want the specific save editor bit)
    6. Ability to create and install animal product retextures (new eggs, wool, milk, etc.)

DOWNLOAD TOOLKIT (V0.6.2.1)
    No need to install anywhere; just unzip and run.

TTTV0.6 -- Create Breed.png TTTV0.6 -- Install & Uninstall.png V0.5Preview-Save Editor.png V0.5Preview-Breeds.png TTTV0.5.1-Showing Installed Breed.png

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    • Meevers

Meevers Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think this works with xnb node 0.2.2? At least I can't seem to get it to work with it. Just constant errors.

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Havent tried it yet, but I also use xnb node 0.2.2

Also following your craftable flowers page. Love it!
        My question is can this add like multiple dogs doing something with the script keyten found? I already have my actual dog in game made by a lovely person who is also making my pug. ;_;

• Lavapulse

What kind of errors? I'd tested with 0.2.1, so I'll have to look into it.

• Lavapulse

I could tweak it to create multiple dogs, however I haven't yet looked into how to use multiple sprites for dogs. Since your dog and/or cat is handled as an npc instead of a farm animal, the process for changing the specific image would be different. It's possible that it can't be done without a script injector, but I'll have to look into it more.

EDIT: Unless you just wanted the tool to swap your default dog to the pug sprite, which I could definitely make it do. However, then all the dogs would be pugs.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
              taintedwheat likes this.
            • Meevers

No matter what I try to do whether it's loading farm animals or opening a save, this pops up with xnb nbode 0.2.2. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's xnb node. I have no idea:
              [​IMG]

• Lavapulse

Gotcha. I have a couple ideas what the problem could be. Could you verify for me whether the program generated the "SavedData" folder correctly? If so, it should be in the "Data" folder (where the error says it should be).
                Edit: I think I found the problem. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
                Edit2: Fixed the problem. Ironing out a couple other bugs before I release the next version.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
                  Meevers likes this.
                • Lavapulse

Updated! Now compatible with xnb_node 0.2.2, as well as 0.2.1. Fixed some bugs and added a few features, including an uninstall breed option, autoinstall option for created breeds, and easier import of multiple files.

• Meevers

I just tested. I'm still getting this when trying to create any breed, I was trying to make another pig breed:

'Could not find file TotallyTubularToolkitV0.6\Data\SavedData\Extracted\Animals\Pig.yaml

You can get around it by manually adding in the .yaml into the folder specified and then it works. But I guess that your intention was for the toolkit to automatically extract the files there on it's own? It does work and installs breeds correctly though and is very easy to use. It just doesn't automatically get the .yaml files it needs. :>

Edit: After testing further, when trying to pack some animals the tool switches the baby and adult sprites. For example, I packed a new goat breed file. But the babygoat.xnb contains the adult png, and the adult contains the baby png. Also when packing a cow, it didn't pack the baby sprite at all. It just packed the adult sprite into both the baby and adult xnb. Rabbits and chickens also have the same problem as the cows. Which probably means all animals have this problem. The baby sprite is not packing correctly.

• Lavapulse

Huh. It was working fine for me, but I'll see if I can reproduce the problem. Thanks again for taking the time to test.

EDIT: Found what was causing the missing .yaml issue. I'll try to find now what's causing issues with baby sprites.

EDIT2: Fixed!

• Meevers

Is the fixed version up for download just yet? I'll test it with a couple of breeds again. :>

• Lavapulse

Just updated (V0.6.1)

• Meevers

Perfect, thanks. No more .yaml issues now. And I just tested creating some new breeds, sprites are all in the right places and babies stay as babies. Seems to be good! Great job btw, this tool is really handy and super easy to use. :)

EDIT: Just found a bug I think. After creating a sheep breed it doesn't seem to let me install it. It just constantly tells me I can choose a baby, normal and sheared version at once - which I am doing. It created the mod just fine (with all 3 pngs), but installing it with the 3 xnbs seems to be an issue.

Lavapulse likes this.
                            • Lavapulse

Hey! Moving forward! I was actually working on that error, got interrupted by life, and forgot I didn't actually finish fixing it. Sorry about that.

• Meevers

No worries, just trying to test it all and managed to find it. All other animals seem to be good though!

Lavapulse likes this.
                                • Lavapulse

Fixed version up and going (V0.6.2)

Meevers likes this.
                                  • Meevers

Seems to all be good. Can't find any more bugs or issues right now! :)

Lavapulse likes this.
                                    • Lavapulse

Awesome. I did find one more bug. Fixed and updated. Still works without the fix though.

xelic likes this.
                                      • STulio

STulio Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What about letting us select where our game is installed?

Lavapulse likes this.
                                        • Lavapulse

That's what I'll probably end up doing.