Cursed hill top

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChaosAzeroth, Nov 14, 2016.

1. ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Twice now I've tried to start a hilltop farm just to have the quarry area blocked by something large. ((Hard wood or large rock.))

Is this normal? If so it defeats a lot of the purpose of it, to not have the main draw available early...

• nash579

nash579 Astral Cartographer

are you sure the large debries are random? I think there are allways 2 direct paths blocked,
      and the long way around is open.

• ChaosAzeroth

2 times mine ended up entirely blocked, though you are right that some is not...
        Thankfully I did get one working as intended so it's all good.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

There's a deliberately placed fallen tree and a giant rock that made travel through my farm my cumbersome until I got the requisite tool upgrades, but never anything preventing me from accessing my quarry tougher than a regular tree. Sounds like something to write up in Support.

• ChaosAzeroth

I'm not the best at making those sorts of threads. I'm pretty useless.X3

I'm just glad I have a farm working properly, though I'm finding it underwhelming but that's another issue entirely. ((Barely anything there, and what spawns is just grey rocks and 1 at a time..))

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

It takes some time. Thing is, right from the start you'll find copper in the mines, even in the very earliest levels. And you'll find iron a lot earlier, too. They'll also show up at the same time in your personal quarry, so the hipptop farm synergizes with working down through the mines. That in turn leads to better tools, etc.

I made a point of chopping down plenty of pine trees, but leaving enough of all three varieties to use trappers on regularly. And I've replanted all the seeds, rather than using them for snacks. I spent a lot of time farming: planting, watering, and harvesting, all activities that raise the farming level. Soon as I hit jars, I began making plenty of those, and kegs as well when those came. I've spent nothing on animals, but picked up a few bundle items from the pig with the fez. I may get into fruit trees soon.

In short, I can't say I've found the hilltop farm an impossibility. I just had to tailor my playing style to the physical limitations of my new farm.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
              • ChaosAzeroth

Yeah it's not impossible so much as it doesn't seem as beneficial as the others so far. Well Wilderness isn't so much either I guess? But forest and far are way more so?X3

Is pretty though. :3

Borodin likes this.
                • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Can't say I've got much use for the Wilderness one, since I can get all the combat I can eat any day down in the mines (and so much more). And while I can quickly get all the trees I need by just letting those seeds grow (and replanting when I chop anything down), I don't have a great source for rocks, much less ores on that farm map. I'm beginning to think that, the basic map to one side, the hilltop farm is tough but the best balanced. It really does give you something back for all the land it's taken away. Of course, each to their own, but I do like progressing by building a lot of things: good sprinklers, bombs, machines, etc. And the metal bars are the way to get that.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                  • ChaosAzeroth

Yeah that's what I was saying, wilderness is probably the only one that's worse IMHO. Of course all that is defo opinion based. I never got many fights from it at all saying up look for them till like 1 am, far to many nights nothing. That is far more underwhelming.

I don't mind the lack of space so much as I'm not really getting anything from it so I fee like other than being pretty it doesn't have the early advantage the fishing and forest farms have. Heck the forest has mid-game advantage with all the hardwood.

That being said, it's not the worst and it is pretty. I guess I thought I'd get more than 1 copper ore a week or so. That's not really helping the case. Neither is the idea I had almost beaten into my brain by people that the farms give an early game advantage, that's their charm, of COURSE they don't help much later but they do so much early on, etc. People have made such a big deal about the great early advantage that what I've gotten feels off I guess?

Borodin likes this.
                    • WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

Well endgame monsters drops are very good, but I don't think that it justify. I play on the same map of you and I had access to the quarry normally (only two bridges blocked with annoying big rocks and trees like nash said), I think that have access to copper so early really is a big hit, you can have your pickaxe upgrade before the mines are open and it will save you a lot of time (or upgrade your watering can), the map design is very bad for a plant and preserve jar type of game playing.
                      I have another game on the forest map and it's amazing, it's very handful to find seasonal forage in your garden and theres tons of hardwood to be choped, saving a lot of time that you waste going into the secret forest.

• bobucles

bobucles Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is no way you're getting copper tools before the mine opens unless you are munchkinning HARD. Early game harvesting and foraging is only worth a few hundred gold per day and that gold is best reinvested into crops.

If you're power fishing it can make a few thousand gold up to a comfortable 6-8 k at high level. Even then you have to be hardcore fishing much of the first spring season to have spare gold like that.

• WilliamZ

You start with 500g, you can forage in the first day then receive the fishing rod on the second day, making 500g~800g a day, It's not impossible but hard to do, since there will be a lot of RNG factors (like the quality of the fish, rain, things that will pop on the beach for you to sell), but you can say that is reasonable to have a upgraded tool for the day 6.

• bobucles

Don't forget the 500 + 500 gold from ma and pa.Yes, you can get an upgraded tool within the first few days of playing. SHOULD you? Absolutely not. Upgraded tools mean nothing if you have no way to use them.

Put that week 1 money into crops (casual fun play) or the upgraded fishing pole (power gaming CapitalismHo! play). A week 1 copper pickaxe is tempting, but rushing down to the GOOD stuff is much easier with a few thousand gold to keep your weapons sharp.

• WilliamZ

But we don't pick the hilltop map for crops, that's the point xD
                              I only planted the first 15 parsnips that we receive and one crop of each type for the community center, for enable the minecart because it save us a lot of time, in the end is about your preference of how you should want to play, the crops, animal or mining route, or do a little of everything :3

• bobucles

Caving is definitely fun, and I honestly think that a quarry defeats the fun of mining. There's an adventure to be had in the cave tunnels, never quite knowing what you might get. There's no adventure in the quarry.

The only real benefit the home quarry gives is it might save you a trip or two to the mines. You still have to spelunk to get useful quantities of ore. It's such a huge amount of space for such little gain that the hilltop farm would probably be better without the quarry at all.

• ChaosAzeroth

The problem is the quarry is supposed to be the perk.

Also not everyone likes the adventure of the mines. To each their own. That being said I don't expect massive quantities but not abysmal ones either....

Yeah but endgame you can get the same thing on ANY map as wilderness, so as much as it was the only map I was initially excited for I found it very lacking. Especially after learning that.

You waste so much IRL time for little to no benefit and then find out you could do that anyway. The only difference being the house, which if the theme actually spread whole house wise might be enough to tip it. But as it is it's a tiny, awkward area once you complete the house. Which, IMHO, actually makes that a little worse...