1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Current Game State?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by OnePirate, May 12, 2017.

1. OnePirate

OnePirate Void-Bound Voyager

How is the current game state? I started playing Starbound on Steam at the end of 2015, and I've stopped when the game got released, on the middle of 2016, so I think I missed a lot of things. I'm happy with this game, it seems they added a lot of things, including race artwork.

EDIT: I'm checking the dev blog, and now I remembered that I've stopped playing at 1.0.5. I'll be reading the blog to see what got added.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  2. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Officially: 1.0 was realeased with a full story of multiple handcrafted dungeons and bosses to play through ontoo of classic exploration gameplay(now untied from story progression thiugh it can help to progress faster through the story).
    Then releases have been as following:

1.1 update: Added new non-essential features for added nonstory gameplay. Namely the addition of fishing as a feature/minigame that tied into a new "collections" feature meant to tie into other existing gameplay features/minigame by cataloguing your collection of captured monsters, figurines, gardning seeds/plants(iirc), fossils as well as dishes acquired through the new fishing mechanic and minigame.
    Exploration was also uodated with generated Novakid villages for the player to encounter. Humans still have their current refugees camps as far as I can tell.

1.2 update: meanwhile this more recent one has specifically focused on "post game" content unlocked after the player has defeated the final boss. Specifically it added new procedural raid dungeons spawned at the old "Ancient Gates" asteroids that still orbit star systems which, unlike "dungeons" found through exploration, function akin to the story dungeon raids(construction/resource gathering is disabled. Dungeon exist as an instance separate from the rest of the game universe/etc). All of these dungeons supposedly have an "elemental" theme meant to tie into the further uodated elemental damages and resistances mechanics. At the end of these dungeons you now fight new "procedural" bosses with custom movesets, abilities and attack patterns.
    Once defeated these dungeons notably give you a new "essence" currency if I recall well. Which currency is used for the new upgrade mechanic for legendary weapons, ontop of being used(iirc) as fuel for the new terraformer stations that you can also find as rewards within these dungeons(allowing you to completely terraform in time a planet to the point of changing it's biome type. You can also be awarded with oneshot mini-terraformers allowibg you to spawn minibiomes where you use them).

------
    Now for stuff still in the work is the 1.3 update.
    Of this one what is know is:
    -It will overhaul space travel so that it isn't anymore a static menu of selecting static dot in space, but instead see your ship represented in the form of a mobile icon that will physically move on the starmap when you order it to do so. Meanwhile star systems will now be displayed as dynamic as well, planets shown to visible orbit around their stars. In the first preview of the new starmap, space stations orbits were also showcased, and other ships could also be seen entering and leaving the space system(whether those were meant to be the representation of other players' ships or actual npc ships I do not know). Later showcase of the starmap still showed all this though I haven't seen "non primary player" ships in the later gifs anymore so I don't know if they are srill planned for this update or held off for a later update(such as a ship to ship combat update).
    -Mechs are being added. They have been showcased to be custom vehicles who are assembled from separare parts by the player in the configuration of their choice. They also seem to have been developped with the main role in mind of making them the player's mean of travel of choice when traveling through "void" environment such as asteroid fields or around a space stations(such environment being shown to feature new enemy types specifically meant to fight mechs in space battles)
    -Space stations are in, with their own orbits akin to planetary bodies. Multiple ones have been showcased already from seemingly abandonned derelicts to small outposts such as a space Arcade. Not only that, but the ability for players to deploy their own space stations has been showcased, by showing players able to send a "station probe" allowing them to create a new orbit within a star system where they can build their own modular space station from prefab modules they can assemble in the configuration of their choice(a sort of compromise between the noncustomizable progression of spaceships and freeform construction by letting players decide the modules and order they choose to arrange for their space station. Shown in the list of station modules is a "mech assembly bay" which likely is where player will build their customizable mechs. I can imagine modders already using these features to make "custom weapojs assembly bays" and the like as well in the future).

No release date has been given for 1.3 yet, but so far posts seem to show a lot of progress for that update. It is still too early to say it's a matter of weeks(since it's already been months since the first pictures teasing the work in develooment) but I assume it will likely be ready sometime before Fall at the latest(I could be wrong however, especially if the scope of the update prove to be larger than even what was showcased).

Jerln, Jonesy, Lintton and 1 other person like this.