1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious question/thought about the new block types in 1.3

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by shadowpup23, Jun 15, 2017.

1. shadowpup23

shadowpup23 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is my first time ever posting a thread on the Starbound forums and I hope this is the right place to post it. But i had a curious question/thought and wanted to see if others think the same. So i love the new block types in 1.3 that can be sloped! I was curious if this block type could be made for other types of material (wood for an example) I'm no mod maker myself but i would love to know if this is at all possible or hear what others think on this new block type, it opens new possibilities for building in Starbound, which I love! :D

2. Virdex_

Virdex_ Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, making a mod that adds new sloped blocks is possible and quite easy. You just "burrow" the code of another sloped block and change the texture and the crafting recipe accordingly to the material it's supposed to be. I'm not a mod maker either, but I know the thing you're asking for is quite simple, and anyways I want to learn programming one day.

3. shadowpup23

That's awesome to hear! Imagine the possibilities, to most people it might be a small thing but to builders this is huge! Builds could be so much more varied, I might try to look into this more and play with it, imaging this new sloped block type applied to wood or brick or any other material makes me smile :D

4. Virdex_

I wanted more varieties of sloped block from the moment I realised they were in the game xD
    The main thing I think they could be used for is better appearence of customized ships. People build impressive customized spaceships, and with sloped blocks, the walls can look much better and smoother. So yes! I understand your excitement! :D

5. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

they simply need to add hammer like in terraria , and tadaaa sloppable block x)

Also yes Virdex_ is right , we only need to retexture then and change their name for add item , that's i've do for racial fridge , but block are in big amount in game , so it's a lot of work.

6. Virdex_

Thanks, now I know I was right lol.

And yes, this sloped blocks thing is one thing Terraria does better than Starbound...

7. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Yes , when they add that it was a true revolution in building (even if some form are still missing like vertical rectangle for example) , i hope see that in starbound a day (for all block) , but it's already a begining to have 4 sloppable blocks.

(Btw if someone want know their name it's Hull Panel (basic) , Insert Panel (orange) , Scrap Panel and Rusty Panel)

8. Virdex_

I still don't know how to craft them, though xD

9. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

You can't ^^ only found in chest in hostile/friendly ship wandering in the galaxy , but you can spawn them with /spawnitem command.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Pick one up (they are frequently found on ships and stations in mech content) and then go to the Industrial Workbench. Not all of them are craftable, but the Hull and Gold ones are (they take one Titanium + Tungsten or Titanium+Gold bar for 20 IIRC).

11. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Ho ok i didnt knew some was craftable ^^'

12. Virdex_

Oh, well... So I'll have to wait a lot for them, since I still have to build a mech and probably still can't at the moment xD

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You can get your mech (for free, just do a simple quest) as soon as you finish the Lunar Base mission (the penguin at the outpost gives you the quest), but you can't *upgrade* said mech until you reach the Durasteel tier. So basically, get to Titanium Tier (since Titanium is needed to make the blocks) and then go do some Ships/Stations found on Gentle Stars and you can collect all you need to make said blocks.

14. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Also don't forget Ursa Miner sell ore/ingot , and we can get a ton of pixel with a proper mob farm...

15. Virdex_

Lunar base mission = Erchius Mining Facility?

16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

You can also mine blocks in space normally. Any structure that doesn't have a "mech bay" can be broken apart with the Matter Manipulator as normal.

Fly up to the thing, hit the brakes (spacebar) to make you're at a dead stop, then exit the mech with "E". Use the Manipulator as normal (odds are you've upgraded it to stronger than the default mech drill), climb back into the mech to collect your goodies, repeat. That should net you plenty of rusty & scrap panels (and depending on what structures you find, some unique decor items).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  17. shadowpup23

Oh wow i wasn't expecting so many replies that's awesome! I was looking into it today but it seems beyond me right now since I've never modded before in my life. I'm hoping some talented mod maker sees this and implements it, but if not it's always good to discuss and it's awesome to see others share my interest in it too :D

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yes. Mechs are available as soon as you fix your ship's FTL.

19. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Depending on what materials you want to use, some Platform blocks form perfect slopes rather than steps that may blend into the look, though you might have to paint them, and you need at least a 2-block-tall stretch of them for it to work, but that's true for the panels anyway. Example:

upload_2017-6-16_19-12-10.png

How well those blend into your build will hinge on what blocks you're using.

20. shadowpup23

Oh yea! I seen those, they do produce pretty close to the new sloped blocks, It's a great alternative until someone releases a sloped blocks mod. I just love the possibilities with sloped blocks, having played Terraria in the past I've seen some crazy builds people have done it's incredible! :D