Curious about which single characters are popular amongst which demographics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starfuneral, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Powerwing Amber

Powerwing Amber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oooh, this seems interesting. I don't post as much as I used to, so hello again!

I'd say most of the characters in this game I really like, despite their flaws. (Actually, it might be due to certain flaws is why I like some of them. Gives a bit of flavor, they do.)

As for favorites... One of them is the ever-popular Sebastian, because his personality is very similar to my own. Plus, I have a weakness for the emo look. (Don't judge!) He also had one of the more entertaining heart events, which was the Magic the Gathering type of game we played. I used to play that sort of game, plus D&D when I was kid (and still play games similar to that even now), so I was really nerding out when I got an A rank for the first time. I wish I could play it again. I also liked how even though he looked the part of an emo kid, he had some unexpected, non-stereotypical things along with it, like having a motorcycle and being the keyboardist in Sam's band. Also, he liked comics and lots of the more 'nerdy' activities, which I like as well.

But maaaaan... the smoking (both tobacco and pot-wise) is such a disgusting habit. As someone with sensitive lungs and severe allergies, especially to all types of smoke, that's such a deal breaker. I heard he kicks the habit once he's married, but... gaaaaah.

Elliot is another favorite of mine. His hair is gorgeous (I'm a little envious of that) and he seems like a really suave and proper sort of guy. I love how he speaks, even if his words can be a bit over-romanticized and old fashioned. However, I appreciate that, because you don't hear people speaking like that much anymore. Could it be I'm nostalgic for a time I never existed in? Hmm... No idea, but I kind of get that feeling. Anyway, I love the fact that he's a writer, which is something I enjoy as well and hope to make a profit with someday. So, I admire his dreams and opportunistic way of thinking when it comes to him wanting to be a successful writer too. It's also nice how in one of the heart events, he'll write an entire novel based on a subject I like. I also like how he lives near the sea and seems in tune with it, so to speak. It's just sad he forces himself to live in that little shack.

I do worry he might not be much use for farmwork, or even heavy housework. He seems like he'd complain about his hair getting dirty, or breaking a nail, or something. It might be funny and cute to see him as a house hubby, but maybe I'm looking far too into this.

While I know a lot of people here dislike Alex, I do not. In fact, I have a bit of a soft spot for him. The guy is very flawed and has some issues to work out, but his back story is so sad and very similar to something I had to deal with so, I really feel for the guy, you know? I know what it's like hiding a lot of pain with an exaggerated attitude, even though it might drive others away. I also hate to show tears or any sort of depressing emotions in front of others too, but also realize holding it back can create a lot of turmoil inside. Although I dislike most sports, I do however gravitate towards more of the violent ones, like football and dodgeball. It feels good to get all that aggression out and it helps to forget about the inner turmoil, at least for a little while. Plus, I absolutely love his grandparents and would be happy with an extended family like that.

But yeah... the salad thing did tick me off... a lot, as I know it did many others. I did hear he's pretty awesome and tones down the jock talk once he's married, but I haven't made it to that point yet. Heh-heh...

While I wouldn't marry her in-game, I really like Emily too, which is strange because I wasn't expecting her character arc to be so entertaining! I love how she's so energetic and in-tune with the cosmos, or whatever she's doing when she meditates. She's kind with animals, loves to dance and is simply a joy to be around. While I have no personal interest in sewing and such, I admire people who do, because they can create such fabulous clothes with their talents and Emily is no exception. That whole clothing therapy session looked like so much fun and I wish my character could have changed into a costume as well. I feel like that was a missed opportunity.

Even if I happened to be into girls, I wouldn't want to marry Emily because I'd rather her and Clint get together. I think they'd be a cute couple if Clint got a little help with his depression.

Even though I've put many hours into this game, I'm not marrying anyone until I've exhausted everything else I've wanted to do in this game. (Mainly because I feel like it'll burden my other goals. ~w~; Plus, I like the single life, just like in real life. LOL) So, when I do, it'll mostly be for the achievement, not necessarily because I'd be interested, otherwise. It's just pretty hard to get into a certain mindset with the orientation that I have. It has nothing to do with the characters themselves and their likability. Again, I might be overthinking things, as I am wont to do.

Oh! Almost forgot! I'm female, in my early 30's and asexual (with a strong romantic leaning towards males AKA heteromantic).
    I don't really like discussing things such as age and orientation in public, due to how certain people act and have treated me over them, but since this is for a demographic poll, there you go.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel like I'm one of twelve people on earth who has zero problem with either of Seb's smoking habits, lol.

A slur that's misogynistic by design simply does not have the same impact on a man. This is true of all derogatory terms used against someone who isn't part of the group the term is intended to denigrate. Opposing the use of slurs is not 'shaming' (a term I'm not moved by, as it's often deployed only to stifle critical discussion). I used to think it was no big deal to say all kinds of stuff, and I hurt people. But then I grew up, reevaluated my beliefs and behaviours, and sorted myself out. Feels good.

Anyway... sorry to drag this off topic, OP. I'll leave it where it stands.

I feel pretty similar. Or maybe they don't really notice that some of Alex's ideas are messed up if he doesn't show that side of himself around them.

That family really went through a lot, and I wish we could peek more deeply into their story. I'd especially like Evelyn and George to talk more about what happened with Alex's parents, the difficulty he had dealing with loss and adjustment, and the challenges they faced trying to raise this boy who had such a rocky start to life.

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

You could not have more completely missed my point if you put effort into it. You can call me anything, you can insult any part of my life/family/descisions/race/sexuality and unless I can absolutely verify that you're being malicious then I don't worry about it. There are people that use any insult as a term of endearment, this takes the negative power from the word and turns it into a positive. By assuming that certain words can only insult or hurt, you're approaching language (in my opinion) incorrectly. Ninety percent of everything said is context. By ignoring the context of my use of the word "shame" you tried to prevent me from using it, which ironically hurt your own point about shutting down conversation.

I actually very much enjoy conversation, and like to probe more deeply when claims are made that I disagree with. So please, if you feel like any of the specific words I use are "shutting down" any conversation, please ignore them and continue to challenge my ideas. That way, we both come out stronger.

I don't dislike Alex or Haley because of their use of certain words. I dislike them because (in context) they seem to be selfish jerks. I don't assume anyting negative about George because of Alex's behavior that I can't see evidence of within the context of the existing narrative. I also don't worry that some people would like to believe negative things about these characters in their own mind due to reasons other than mine.

• MsMeiriona

MsMeiriona Phantasmal Quasar

Ok, if you're a lesbian, you have 0 attraction to any men, either sexually or romantically right? And I imagine that there are women who you don't find attractive in that sense, right? So, just imagine that is how you feel about all people.

Sorry if I'm seeming to be harping on this, but it is personal, so.

I'm Aro and Ace. I find no people romantically attractive, I don't desire to go on dates or kiss or cuddle, I don't want a 'significant other' though I enjoy friendships. Likewise, I find no one sexually attractive, though I can appreciate the aesthetic value of a person, it's entirely the same way one would appreciate art.

Hopefully you can understand that.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
            ChaosAzeroth and DreamerDrop like this.
          • ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Deleted

Jeez, I didn't know this thread was gonna turn into an SJW outbreak. I want nothing to do with it now.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
            • DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Harvey and Emily are both a bit eccentric in their own ways, but they're also super sweethearts. You have good taste, buddy. :up:

Marrying Emily is also nice because the crystal garden she adds to your farm is extremely aesthetically pleasing. :rainbowbarf:

• ScarletAurora

ScarletAurora Poptop Tamer

Yeah... though I keep wondering if I'd feel the same if he was a real person. I'd really not be cool with someone constantly being rude to me, and it's sure harder to empathize with someone with this kind of behaviour IRL than in a game, where you can kinda predict that you'll have the chance to know that character, their story and their motives...

Roskii Heiral likes this.
                • Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think about that as well. Trying to win someone over after they've been disrespectful is definitely not something I would waste my time on in real life! However, twice now I've been part of groups where someone was a bit rude to me at first, but warmed up on their own, made the effort to reach out and make amends, and ultimately ended up being one of my best friends. The process we go through with Shane is a really unhealthy way to get to the good stuff, even though he does apologize. I fully acknowledge that. But I do believe that there are people like Shane whose rudeness is a surface-level defense mechanism, and that they can be worth a second chance if they own up to their actions.

To tie this back into the subject of the thread, I think it's really interesting to talk about what we're drawn to in NPCs compared to our real life experiences, especially when it comes to the broad split between "singles who are always warm" vs. "singles who need to thaw out." I'm a sucker for a good redemption arc, probably because I've sort of had one, and the people I've been closest to IRL have gone through some terrible stuff and done things they're not proud of, but are trying to come out the other side as better people.

• reversedtarot

reversedtarot Void-Bound Voyager

i'm a bisexual trans man with a preference for men. fourteen, turning fifteen in less than a month. i instantly gravitated towards sebby and shane because i have a soft spot for depressed boys. i might be projecting a little bit.
                    as for the women, penny's been a favorite since i downloaded the diverse stardew valley mod.
                    all the characters started to grow on me as i kept playing though. except haley. she's a bit much for me.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I just wanted to say I love your avatar. ❤️

• reversedtarot

reversedtarot Void-Bound Voyager

thank you! i drew it myself, so this is really nice to hear <3

wronghandle and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                        • Pyrofish

Pyrofish Starship Captain

"aro and ace"
                          What bloody kinda name is that?
                          Is the a reason behind this name? Everything else at least sounded like a sexuality.
                          Is that legal? Or have you not done the surgery?

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Short for aromantic and asexual.

• Pyrofish

This all sounds needlessly complicated.

• MysteriousOgre

MysteriousOgre Void-Bound Voyager

Just a heads up for you in terms of personal questions regarding the surgeries. It's a very personal question and many in the trans community choose not to undergo surgery. Regardless, it's personal and is not a question you should generally ask people.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Pyrofish

how in the world is that personal
                                  And like that's an honest to god question. How old do you have to be the surgery? Is it a state by state kinda thing?

• MysteriousOgre

MysteriousOgre Void-Bound Voyager

It's a very invasive question, is all. It's not a question you ask anybody regardless of gender or gender expression. Also, whether or not they've had surgery doesn't affect the fact that they are still transgender. Age is a relatively flexible factor in the medical process of transitioning. Some trans kids come out before puberty and are prescribed hormone suppressants to discourage certain effects of puberty and continue with HRT (hormone replacement therapy) and possibly surgeries. Many come out post puberty and that process is similar but not quite the same. As long as the trans individual has permissions from their guardian(s) if underage and follow the advice of their doctors the process continues as is best for the individual.

If anyone sees any discrepancy in my post please correct me. I began medically transitioning via HRT 8 months ago and I am sadly not the best at retaining the specifics of information.

Edit: links to helpful information found via Google. These may help you gain an understanding on transgender people.

https://www.transequality.org/issues/resources/frequently-asked-questions-about-transgender-people

http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/transgender.aspx

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
                                      reversedtarot likes this.
                                    • Pyrofish

I feel if I share my opinion on this I'll be silenced and banned, so I think I'll stop here.

Minimanta likes this.
                                      • DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Lesbian and Gay are both short for Homosexual. Straight is short for Heterosexual. Bi is short for Bisexual. Why are Aro and Ace any more complicated...?

Anyway, hasn't this conversation already been had?

Also, speaking personally, you can be approved for hormone therapy at varying ages. I was 16 when I was approved for it, but was unable to go through with it until I turned 18, unless I got court approval which just seemed like a headache to go through. Hormone therapy is the precursor to surgery, so I'd imagine you'd have to be 18 or older to get that. A person can be approved for hormone blockers as young as 7 though. They just delay the onset of puberty, preventing a lot of dysphoria inducing changes occurring to the body. (A trans boy might have his dysphoria triggered by periods or breast development, for example. Puberty blockers delay this from occurring, lessening the dysphoria symptoms.)

And yeah, asking whether or not someone has had surgery, since it tends to involve intimate parts of an individuals body, is generally considered invasive and unpleasant. Esp since being trans is controversial in and of itself, a lot of trans people aren't comfortable disclosing this unless it's actually relevant. (That is, unless you're a medical professional, or their sexual partner.)

sunlite likes this.
                                        • Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Guys keep this discussion civil.

If I see any more arguing about anythibg like this I will ussue out warnins and I may even delete this entire thread.