Curious about which single characters are popular amongst which demographics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starfuneral, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Pyrofish

Pyrofish Starship Captain

What in the world does that mean?

• worldstraveller

worldstraveller Poptop Tamer

I believe femme according to google search is a lesbian whose appearance and behaviour is traditionally feminine.

aromantic is someone who has little or none whatsoever romantic attraction for someone and is satisfied with friendships and other non-romantic relationships, while heteromantic is being romatically attracted to your opposite gender/sex (there homoromantic is basically the same but between same gender/sex), there is more terms related to this, it has no sexual connotations, but sometimes can have both, depending on the person.
      I hope it clears up with basics (there is more terms related to this, if you google search)

• Pyrofish

So just a regular lesbian?

So someone who's asexual?

• ScarletAurora

ScarletAurora Poptop Tamer

I'm female, 31, straight. Fell for Shane immediately. I think I can relate to him a lot. At first when he was rude I thought "let's see if I can make you like me". I don't know, I just wanted to befriend the unhappy, depressed guy, perhaps for feeling I could show him some understanding and empathy. As I deal with depression and unhappiness in real life too, I just seem to gravitate towards the "darker" characters. He also looked like the deepest character to me.
          I can relate to everything Seismothesaurus said as well - he sounds more closer to my own age, almost everyone else seems too young for me to have a real interest. And also about my farmer being a version of the real "me". I can't roleplay too much, it's just me being me in the game! I couldn't do anything that wasn't according to my own values and tastes, and it's like I'd like it to be "me" who's meeting all those characters.

I also like Elliot for being romantic, can relate a little to Leah for being artsy and living alone in a cottage (which I would like to), and I like Linus for being a sweet, brave loner. But I still haven't explored these characters very much as I'm still kinda new to the game.

Seismothesaurus likes this.
          • worldstraveller

well there is "butch", it means a lesbian who appearance and behaviour is traditionally masculine. so is similar to femme, the only changes are following and challenging social norms.

Not quite, it's mostly common for asexuals, but it can be applied for example, someone being both homoromantic and homosexual, it can be applied to everyone and it varies, let's say romantic is connected to emotional needs to be with someone and sexual is connected to sexual desires, some have both, others none, others in only one, others is greyish between some of the these variations.
            If you wish to know more about it, you read [link=http://www.asexuality.org]here[/link] and [link=http://www.whatisasexuality.com/intro]here[/link]
            It could be said I'm asexual, since I don't think I have sexual desires, but I'm not entirely sure, I would add is also a choice (celibacy) and no interest or curiosity. I don't feel the need to have romantic relationship, but I'm open to the possibility to be romantically attracted to someone, so it's grey-ish.

• Pyrofish

Butch is a little different, since it's someone trying to be male when they're female, or at least trying to imitate it.
              A girl being a girl is completely normal.

so
              just not interested in sex?
              Why on earth does it have a special name

so you're a totally normal person uninterested in relationships right now..?

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Totally, at first it was like, "This is a video game, so you're gonna have to like me, muahaha," but then... I was the one who couldn't help but like him, lol. The game is playing me.

I feel the same about just wanting to be there for him as someone who gets it because I live it. On those days when he says he would've gone outside if he had pants, all I can say is, "I hear ya, buddy." Sometimes putting on pants is depression's boss battle. I didn't want to 'save' him--it's not possible to 'fix' another person, and I know how insulting it is to be viewed as a project. I'm glad that his story didn't play out that way. Your support is the catalyst that makes him decide to help himself and find something outside of your friendship that brings purpose to his life.

It's the kind of friendship I'd want to offer and receive in real life.

• DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Aromantic = Not interested in romantic relationships, does not feel romantic attraction, to anyone, ever.
                  Asexual= Not interested in sexual relationships, does not feel sexual attraction, to anyone, ever.

It's not quite the same as someone who is just currently uninterested in sex or relationships. Hypothetically, if you're a straight man, the level of sexual and romantic attraction you'd feel towards other men is none, right? That's how asexuals and aromantic feel towards, well, everyone.

Femme = Traditionally or overtly feminine woman interested primarily or solely in other woman.
                  Butch = Traditionally or overtly masculine woman interested primarily or solely in other woman.

Women are not trying to imitate males by being traditionally masculine nor is being feminine as a woman something that should be defaulted as "normal". Equating lesbians who don't conform to gender stereotypes to men is a little offensive, even though I'm sure you didn't mean it to be.

Maru, if she was a lesbian, would be considered butch. She's not trying to imitate males, it's just who she is. A butch lesbian is effectively a tomboy, yes.

Butch is used in the lesbian community to denote a masculine gay woman, as "camp" is sometimes used by gay men to denote an effeminate gay man. (I think the terms are equatable, I'm not too familiar with the gay community as a whole so I could be wrong.)

And besides, I'm a little bit... overly feminine. Beyond what is normally considered "normal" for women anyway.

• worldstraveller

Thanks a lot, you even explained better than me. :D (that's why I say I fall into the grey area, I am a very neutral person and individualistic in most things)

It's not a special name, like Dreamdrop said, it's the same as homosexual and heterosexual and bisexual and pansexual just with the difference is no sexual attraction towards no one.
                    Even if I felt sexual attraction towards someone, I wouldn't still go for it, like I said above, whether I'm asexual or not, it's a choice of my own free will, anyway (celibacy).

being open to be romantically attracted to someone isn't the same as being open to have a relationship or commitment, I don't want and I have no intentions in having commitments (it requires a lot of compromises and investment, it sounds emotionally exhaustive for me), like it is when you feel sexually attracted to someone but don't want commitments or having a relationship, it's similar to that.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Looking back, I'm trying to see when, and how, this conversation started. I can't find it. It just sort of... started. Lol

• DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Someone was unsure of what the terms Femme and Asexual meant, I think, haha. ^^;;

Hopefully it won't spiral much further. I wanna hear more about people's favourite marriage candidates...

• _jdaco

_jdaco Space Hobo

Alright I will join this thread by saying I'm a male 30 and I'm into Emily strictly for her blue hair genes. Haley is beautiful but I know she just wants me to buy her Micheal Koors stuff. #NoHaley

minties82 likes this.
                          • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Ugh... too many labels... can't keep it all straight.

I wanted to agree with a comment by a few people about why they didn't like Alex. Yeah, I can empathize with his story, but every Flower Dance when he says he's enjoying the scenery (or something like that), it really puts my hackles up. I don't like that kind of objectification/sexism. That's one of the main reasons why, yeah I'll get his hearts up, but I don't like it, and when he is at full hearts, I'll never talk to him again. It's like how I absolutely hate it when I hear men refer to women as b*#%@s in a general way. Man I hate that....

*breathes*

On a different vein (but still related to previous comments), I tend to play more as myself. I have wanted to play as a character totally different than me, but some of my traits and values are so incredibly deep and strong that I can't even 'force' myself to make dialogue choices different than how I would in real life. For instance, I really want to do a play-through where I pick all the 'wrong' or 'mean' dialogue choices. I want to see how CA wrote the game to respond to those choices, but I can't get myself to pick them, even once! haha

I'm so weak! :geek:

Ok, done being off-topic... sorry...

Seismothesaurus likes this.
                            • Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

100%! It will make me lose virtually all respect for them, actually. When you use slurs against a person, it doesn't actually say anything about them, but it does say something about you.

It's too bad that Alex didn't resolve his sexism in his arc. It really seemed like he was being set up for that, but... nope. It's especially unfortunate considering how his dad treated his mom, and he's carrying part of that mentality with him. If it were real life, I would never feel totally comfortable around him.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
                              • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Almost begs the question of how George treats Evelyn, since their relationship is what Alex grew up around. His view of women is probably a direct imitation of how he's seen George treat them.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Ugh... that's a good point...
                                  I always kind of viewed them as like the Bunker family (Archie Bunker). He may have seemed all crusty towards Edith, but inside he really was a softy.

• BouncingCactus

BouncingCactus Big Damn Hero

I chose to believe that it's more Alex lack of active role models that makes him immature. Let me specify, I don't think George treats Evelyn poorly, but it's more like I think George doesn't actively talk about feelings and how to behave with Alex.

George seems to fall in the category of the old manly stereotype. Don't talk about feelings, don't be proactive about avoiding misunderstandings. We know Alex had an asshole of a father, so he doesn't get any good lessons there. George might not know how to handle his emotions (see his short outburst with Penny that he then apologizes for properly), but I'm not ready to assume that George is a bad apple per se.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
                                    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I didn't mean to make it sound like George is abusive or mean necessarily, just that his treatment of women might lean more towards that 1950's attitude - women were meant to stay home and cook/clean, be homemakers etc. If Alex only had George and Evelyn as role models for what a relationship looks like, he could very likely carry over some of those same behaviors and not even realize he's doing it. For example, he probably means absolutely nothing by ordering female dates a salad, he probably just assumes as the man, he should order for her (he's been taught to take charge), and that women prefer to eat light to watch their figure (years of Evelyn talking about watching her weight maybe?).

BouncingCactus likes this.
                                      • Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I like the way you think. Its cool to see people not jump to apply negative motives/attributes to people . I always like to think the best of people, even when its more easy to think they're worse.

If someone calls me a bitch, i'm more inclined to laugh than be offended (unless its clear that they are posturing to fight). Remembering that people all come from different backgrounds and different words mean different things to different people is important. Crass language in some families is endearing and its not anyone's place to shame them for it.

On topic:

34/Male/Callistan

Maru is my favorite. I do feel like she's younger than me, but I also feel like I'd have the most fun hanging out with her. She seems to be very creative/bright/engaging and her interest in building robots lines up with my character the most. She also comes across as more reserved with her feelings, which is really endearing to me. Her kiss means more (to me) because I feel like its coming from someone to whom a kiss is a large gesture. Her "romantic" moments are more akward and calculated which are things I value in life.

A relationship with her feels more like an equatable partnership. She's not angsty, she's not angry, she's not looking for meaning; she's pursuing her dreams as I pursue mine.

Anyway, enough of my ranting xD

Edit: I'm not adding my sexual orientation, because in 2017 there seems to be as many orientations as there are people (to the point that discussing it is now dull).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
                                        • Pyrofish

This all sounds pretty out there for me, dude. I might be old fashion but christ.

I'll say my nonsense, so I don't get in trouble for this derailish thing
                                          I'm a lesbian, I just go with whoever's cutest in the game. I dig Leah in this.