1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Crop Issue -- Potatoes not progressing beyond second growth stage.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by balegrim, Mar 24, 2017.

1. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

I hope it gets examined and fixed next patch. But in the meantime if anyone could help me out, please do.

On my main character, I grow plants in my ship just fine. No mods, and they grow when I'm present or away. I'm a vanilla purist.

I also have starbound on my laptop, fully updated. I deleted giraffe and koala storage, assuming they are no way connected to anything anymore.

Well, anywho. I have planted potatoes on my new character's ship (on the laptop). They grow to the second stage and then just stop. As I understand it, most crops automatically divy out the right amount of tile space, (like banana seeds can't be planted right next to each other, the game won't let you without giving each a little space) but just to be sure I manually gave each potato a block in-between. They never get any bigger than their second stage and I don't know why.

If anyone could shed some light, I'd appreciate it.

Also. I am on the first stage of my new character's ship.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

balegrim likes this.
  3. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

I may have. I have a brilliant idea to fix this issue though that CHUCKLEFISH should implement if they are PAYING ATTENTION.

You know the way food expires in your inventory? It's basically a countdown timer, right? Just give each crop a global timer, only instead of expiring, it hits the next growth cycle.

If I can have a bazillion timers for each unique piece of food I have I don't see how crops would hit the game's performance.

4. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

I was also hoping this topic was something related to a much older patch. Damn. . .

5. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I looked at the assets, and it seems that this is already the case. In the case of crops, it defines a number of ticks before it progresses into the next stage. For food rot timers, all food has the same base number of ticks before rotting (10,800) and consumable food applies a multiplier to that number.

(I looked at rotting.config, potato.consumable, and potatoseed.object)

I'm not that skilled or experienced with Starbound's code (or any code for that matter) so anybody that is better at interpreting it, please take a look at it as well.

EDIT: Just occurred to me that these numbers are not necessarily ticks, and also that I'm unsure of how long a tick is (but I believe it's 1 / 10,000,000 of 1 second). Regardless, I think that food rotting and crop growth use the same system.

EDIT2: The official wiki refers to these numbers as seconds, so I guess potatoes really do take 15 hours to rot.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    balegrim likes this.