1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Crew Members

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MinieK, Jan 3, 2017.

1. MinieK

MinieK Space Spelunker

So, I'm still kind of a noob to this game, but can you get any other crew members than penguins? I've been playing a lot with a friend lately and he tells me penguins are the guys you hire for crew members, for diamonds. But I've been very unfortunate with diamonds, finding/getting very little of them, so is there any other way to get crew members? Thanks.

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

If you complete enough quests for NPC villagers or tenants, they'll eventually offer to join your crew. Where penguin crew members are all soldiers, regular crew members can have other professions that offer various bonuses.

More details here: http://starbounder.org/Crew

MinieK likes this.
  3. MinieK

MinieK Space Spelunker

Oh, thank you. So basically, side quests from random NPCs on random planets?

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

That's one method. Same method can be used with tenants from any colonies you build.

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Generally, just run round a planet and you're almost guaranteed to find at least one quest-giving NPC, and usually a settlement large enough for you to be able to reliably get a new crew member if you make three visits (one visit being one run-through picking up all the quests).

One of the first crew members you should get (if you haven't found that many upgrade modules) is an engineer. These make it cheaper and cheaper in terms of fuel to get to other systems and can be recognized by their orange shirts. I suggest you visit the wiki page for crew for more information.

Also, since you seem to be relatively new to Starbound, here's another tip: try to get at least one of each kind of elemental Fluffalo (bought at the Terramart in the Outpost). Once you've completed enough of the main storyline, you'll be able to use what you get from them (by clicking on them once they show particle effects) to get something special and really useful.

6. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

Do becareful though >.> humans, apex and avian seem to love sit in your captains chair and block you from exploring. get one out and the other one jumps right on the chair.

7. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Thats strange, ive actually never seen any of my crew using the captain's chair :eek:

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Two avians were my first crew members and they've never even gone near the chair.

9. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

really? mine love to sit in the chair for ever... makes going to new planets to steal everything really hard lol.

10. MinieK

MinieK Space Spelunker

Thanks guys, got 10 crew members in 2 days. c:

One of them, I got like this:
    "If I join my crew, will you protect me from Big Ape?"

11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, that's a common statement if Apex want to be hired.