Modding Help Creating something from nothing

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by JFoxx64, Dec 10, 2013.

1. JFoxx64

JFoxx64 Big Damn Hero

I'm stuck on the next stage of my idea with this issue. I've created the item and everything, and what I want to do is have something that works like the furnace, except that instead of having to insert an object into the first spot, you can just start the "smelting" process to create the other items. I have a feeling that removing the input field entirely will cause errors, and I know that just leaving it empty doesn't solve the problem either...

Any ideas?

2. ool

ool Poptop Tamer

Interesting. So, like a sort of dispenser, that does not take any input?

Can't test it right now since Starbound is updating, but this might work. Make sure you back up everything. I'd copy/paste everything into the mods folder, etc., but assuming you have some idea of what you are doing:

1. The items you make with the furnace are actually handled just like everything else, with recipes. You could try making the input blank. If that doesn't work, I'm stumped.

2. If that does work, then you just have to modify the interface. So remove this bit from the stone furnace interface:

Code:
        "itemGrid" : {
          "type" : "itemgrid",
          "position" : [74, 37],
          "dimensions" : [1, 1],
          "spacing" : [19, 19],
          "backingImage" : "/interface/inventory/empty.png"
        },

The problem with this, if you did get it to work, is that you could only create one thing with the new "furnace." Based on my limited understanding of how the stone furnace works, I think whatever you put into the "itemGrid" box determines what comes out on the other end. If you have nothing there, there is no interface to make a selection as to what you want to "smelt" the nothingness into. So basically you'd be making an item that can make an unlimited number of one other item. And I don't think that's what you are trying to do.

If it's not, you are probably better off trying the empty input on a modified anvil-type crafting device. That way an interface already exists. Or you could attempt to make a custom interface that combines a menu with the modified smelting interface, but to what ends, I'm not sure.

3. JFoxx64

JFoxx64 Big Damn Hero

Yea, I've already got the base of this mod made with my SpaceFuels mod, and got a pretty basic understanding of how that all works. However I tend to run into the problem of it not working. I want it to produce items over time, not by user click. However, last I checked it wasn't working, and now the game is getting stuck at the loading screen, so I'll need to find what I broke to continue testing. Thanks for the response.

Oh, and just outright removing the itemGrid portion causes the game to crash. Already found that one.

4. ool

ool Poptop Tamer

Lame!

Well good luck. Let us know what you figure out!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  5. googleben

googleben Void-Bound Voyager

Friendly tip,

If you launch the server, it'll tell you where you messed up. Also, you'd have to have a recipe for something like dirt, or you'd need to make a custom interface for this purpose with a selector field or something.

6. JFoxx64

JFoxx64 Big Damn Hero

I've already fixed that error. What I am getting hung on is not the interface or recipes, but how the game handles the "input"/"output" fields. Seems as though there is a hidden handler I'd need to find to be able to create this effect. Until then I'll just use dirt. There's lots of that.

7. googleben

Yeah. You would have to use the base game files, and for an unexperienced programmer that could be hard. My advice, stick with dirt.

8. JFoxx64

JFoxx64 Big Damn Hero

I wouldn't say I am an "unexperienced" programmer. I've worked with Java, programming some in-depth plugins for Minecraft through Bukkit. This is child's play compared to connecting a minecraft server to a database.

Also created a pretty simple game using XNA (C#), so have a little know how.

9. googleben

Agreed. I just wasn't sure what area you were in, but that should help. If you know any lua, it should be fairly easy to add UI elements. I have basically the same experience, except I often work with HTML, python, php, etc. this game is certainly easy to mod, for the basic stuff, but minecraft may be easier for the complicated stuff.

10. JFoxx64

JFoxx64 Big Damn Hero

The User Interface isn't where the issue is, that's pretty easy to read. The problem is just how the mechanics of the game work. That's alright though, I've made a temporary solution until I can create a solar energy source.