Modding Help creating a tech that can target others (helpful not harmful) and a general mod question

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ellary, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Ellary

Ellary Pangalactic Porcupine

So have been looking around and I see nothing in anything (least that I have found) that will let me do helpful things to others. I am wondering if anyone knows a way to make it so an item going near another player would heal them? was thinking I could make some kind of throwing healing dart or something. To use when teaming with friends.

Also the general question! is it worth even making mods right now during early stages of beta? will they work on release?

2. TheWall

TheWall Phantasmal Quasar

Well, I don't have any of my friends around to test this with so this is mostly theoretical.

The statuspod object has a random chance to launch a projectile called "healingstatusprojectile" it uses the "statusEffects" object to apply the "health" buff. I have seen this projectile hit both player and monster alike. Like I said I have no friends around to test this with yet so I cannot see if it can actually hit players. The idea would be to make a gun that shoots the "healingstatusprojectile". I am not sure if a player projectile can actually hit another player though. Hope this helps a little.

Also about the modding in early beta. Tiy has stated that if he sees a mod that he thinks would benefit every player, he would put it in the default game. This was confirmed when Tiy added Ncrpts' pixel compressor to the recent patch. Also, it appears that a ton of the modding API is already in place. We can test this "unofficial" modding API for them so that it is easier to finish when the time comes. Besides modding is great fun ^_^.

3. Ellary

TheWall! you have helped me find hope! I now have another wall...I edited it to the bubble gun (the script was broken so instead I used the lower half of the brain gun thingy, changed the projectile tye) but now when I shoot the gun, it just heals me nothing is launched out

{
    "itemName" : "bubblegun",
    "inventoryIcon" : "bubblegunIcon.png",
    "dropCollision" : [-8.0, -3.0, 8.0, 3.0],
    "maxStack" : 1,
    "rarity" : "Rare",
    "description" : "A bubble gun! It shoots bubbles! Weeeee!",
    "shortdescription" : "Bubblegun",
    "image" : "bubblegun.png",
    "handPosition" : [-3.5, -1],
    "firePosition" : [20, 1.5],

"fireTime" : 0.08,
    "twoHanded" : false,

"projectileType" : "healingstatusprojectile",
    "projectile" : { "speed" : 2,
    "power" : 12,
    "color" : [10, 255, 10]
    }
    }

do I need to edit something else to make it shoot the projectile? am just using this gun for learning purpose. I plan on turning into a book or healing scanner

EDIT wait it is shooting a projectile I cannot see! but still wounds my character making her make the damaged sound (wounds her as in animation, but does heal her and whoever is shot)

EDIT EDIT...tried to change the healing status projectile file. I was able to change how much it heals. I set it to bullet instead of grenade ..still doesnt work. Is there truly no friendly type effect I can use for a ranged healing item...that wont make people do the healing sound and flicker.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

You might want to look into the throwable items folder as well. There's something called a healing grenade or something similar if I remember correctly. I don't think this'll fix your problem, but you might find some new leads.

5. Ellary

Oh I tried to use that..it crashed my game when I threw it o.o

6. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Hmm, alright. I just found the file while searching for other stuff, thought it might've helped. Guess not. Good luck anyway, heh.

7. Ellary

Thank you for bringing it up though!

8. TheWall

The statuspod's healing projectile is set up so that it hits you and dies. If you were to create a copy of a projectile (one that acts like you want yours to act). And then add the status effect part of the statuspod's .projectile file along with whatever parameter makes it hit you, I believe it is the "universalDamage" property but I am not sure

note that the "timeToLive" property is probably what kills the statuspod's projectile so fast.

9. Ellary

O I have it not hitting me anymore, but it still makes whoever i shoot to heal get pushed away, they do get healed..but i dont want to push them away or make them make the damaged sound and go all blinky

10. TheWall

My modding computer just ran out of power so I am stuck without viewable files. You might be able to adjust some of those properties by creating a new damage type. Before the recent patch you could remove knockback by setting the armor penetration really low. I am not sure how you would do it anymore.

11. Ellary

oh gosh, I am starting to wonder if my idea of making a medic type character...just might not be possible in the game. Wanted to make a healing mod for roleplay servers.

12. TheWall

Lol it is something I am really wondering about. If it isn't currently supported, I am pretty sure that the Tiy said he wanted it (no quotes sorry).

I always play the healer or the tank in RP games so when I get the chance I am going to look deeper into this and see if I can accomplish it. If nothing else I am fairly sure that you can make a placeable object that everyone can "interact" with that heals them (basically a non-random, timed lifespan statuspod) not the best solution but it would get the job done outside of combat.

13. Ellary

healer for life here! all of my roleplay characters are a medic of some sort. I will just keep my fingers crossed someone might know a way! or the devs will add it.

TheWall likes this.
  14. Ellary

tiny little bump as I have been at it for hours and just broke my game..so reinstalling ._.

15. Symmasolan

Symmasolan Big Damn Hero

I really like this idea. Might take a poke at it myself in a couple days if i get some time beyond a current project :)

16. sarcose

sarcose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can you make a status pod that auto-activates on placement?

17. Dilwoah

Dilwoah Void-Bound Voyager

This was interesting, I had the idea myself but I'm going to try to go about it an entirely different way. I'll post back if I get something to work.

EDIT : Not really sure if I'm going anywhere with my idea. I had the thought of using the healinggas, and it shoots out of the gun just fine. The problem is, even when I run into it it won't affect my player. Not sure how it works on multiplayer. None of my friends are online :(. Gunna keep tweaking and see what I come up with.

EDIT 2 : Using it on a monster crashes the game :p So that's a thing.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  18. Ellary

I used the bubble gun, (which is broken! you need to take the lower part of the brain gun thingy n paste it there! ) and just changed the projectile type to the healing projectile thing. it shoots n heals..but pushes the person around....i have no idea how to make it not push,

19. Symmasolan

Symmasolan Big Damn Hero

@Ellary I have a feeling there arent enough weapon types defined in the main code of the game for that way, as i tried the same thing with a sword and it does heal still, but it knocks back. Not sure if there's a way to stop that though :V

20. Ellary

aww..there goes my dream of being a medic in the game...Still love Starbound!! not complaining, just bummed. Thanks to everyone who looked into it and tried it out.