1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Crashing upon opening Journal + wiped quests

Discussion in 'Support' started by CFX, Jun 24, 2017.

1. CFX

CFX Space Hobo

Hello Stardew Players,

I have recently picked up this game off of the Steam Summer Sale and absolutely loved it. I logged 2 hours so far, however my quest journal decided to disappear for no reason whatsoever (the exclamation mark on the screen went missing) and when I try to open the journal it causes the whole game to crash. Frankly I find this very irritating and it also hampers my ability to progress in the story, i tried searching around for the fixes, but i coudn't find any whatsoever. I tried sleeping into the next day, tried accepting new quests to see if it would prevent the journal from crashing, it almost worked, the journal didn't crash but my old quests weren't there. One of those quests was starting an animal farm. So I earnestly ask for some help in resolving this issue so I can move on with the game, I really like this save file and would rather not make a new game for the time being, since i really like this playthrough I am doing so far. Thank you for any input on this matter.

P.S Here is also the error log that I get every time the journal crashes.
    I run Stardew Valley in vanilla and my OS is Windows 10.

Message: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    InnerException:
    Stack Trace: at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
    at StardewValley.Menus.QuestLog.customSnapBehavior(Int32 direction, Int32 oldRegion, Int32 oldID)
    at StardewValley.Menus.IClickableMenu.moveCursorInDirection(Int32 direction)
    at StardewValley.Menus.IClickableMenu.applyMovementKey(Int32 direction)
    at StardewValley.Menus.IClickableMenu.applyMovementKey(Keys key)
    at StardewValley.Menus.IClickableMenu.receiveKeyPress(Keys key)
    at StardewValley.Menus.QuestLog.receiveKeyPress(Keys key)
    at StardewValley.Game1.updateActiveMenu(GameTime gameTime)
    at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
    at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

If you want to zip up your save, and upload it here. I'll take a closer look.

• CFX

CFX Space Hobo

Oh thank you so much. Here is the save file attached, I built a coop and no progress so far. Just moving on so far.

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for sending that. I took a look at the save data code, and it looked fine. I also loaded up your save in-game on my Linux system; as well as a Windows compatibility layer that lets me run the Windows version of Stardew Valley. And, the journal works fine in both instances.
          I know there have been issues other users have experienced with bad quest data; crashing the journal in the same way. But, in your case it doesn't seem to be quest related. At least not the 2 you currently have.

Is it still occurring for you? If it is, it's likely your game files themselves. But, if not; it might've been that animal farm quest you mentioned.

Either way. I'd recommend having Steam verify the game files; just in case. It'll fix any corrupted files, and remove any mods(so if you have any; back those up.)

Instructions:
          Right click Stardew Valley in your Steam Library.
          Then select 'Properties' from the popup.
          After that a new 'Properties' window should show up.
          Go to the 3rd tab, 'Local Files', and select; "Verify Integrity of Game Files".

Then after it finishes go back into your game, and give it a try.

• CFX

CFX Space Hobo

Thanks alot it fixed the journal crash, I guess I could live without the animal coop quest though, its not like I need the quests to enjoy the game.