1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

"Crash" When taking a screenshot

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Shewba, Aug 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shewba

Shewba Space Hobo

On steam, if you take a screenshot, (F-12 DEFAULT) It is still playable, but not really, if you shoot something, it still makes noise, music is still there, but it becomes pitch black and you can't see nothin

2. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

This happens to me too :(

3. Kulsius

Kulsius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Seems like some misundersanding between steam overlay and game. Did you try to open steam overlay when game is pitch black?
    what system you using, x64 or x86 game and steam? Also, graphic card info might be relevant.

Iris Blanche and ErebusAmauro like this.
  4. ErebusAmauro

ErebusAmauro Astral Cartographer

Have the same exact problem playing on an asus notebook
    Asus Eee Pc 1215-b
    Processor AMD E-450 (Dual core at 1,65 Ghz)
    RAM: 4 GB at 1333 Mhz
    Graphics: Integrated AMD Radeon HD Graphics 6320
    The game runs well, with some few fps drops in some places.
    When this error happens, the only way to solve it is to right click the minimized game and close it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  5. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Can't confirm this issue. Maybe it's a problem with the integrated graphics chipset or like @Kulsius already stated a misunderstanding between the game and the steam overlay.
    I checked both, 32bit and 64bit.
    Video card is an asus overclocked gtx 750 ti
    Processor an i7 3770

~ Iris ~

Kulsius likes this.
  6. Kulsius

We need more people who have this issue with their PC specs to narrow it down. So far integrated AMD seem to be culprit. Does steam overlay screenshot option work in other games that run on OpenGL? What about steam overlay itself?

ErebusAmauro likes this.
  7. ErebusAmauro

ErebusAmauro Astral Cartographer

I will try if the problem goes the same way with another game I have installed in the same PC, though I don't know if it runs on OpenGL or in Directx (Torchlight II :3)

8. Kulsius

As far as i remember, Torchlight 2 use d3d10, which is DirectX. There should be some ways to force OpenGL, but I've never tried it or cared enough to try. Still, who knows, maybe problem persist there too. Never hurts to try :D

9. Shewba

Shewba Space Hobo

I am 64 bit. It works fine in ither gams, not in starbound tho

10. Kulsius

Would you mind trying 32-bit starbound to see if it behaves same?
    Are you using any Screen Capture handles? (softwre that adds overlays, layouts, screen capture? Maybe active ShadowPlay or Xbox gme DVR?)

11. Shewba

Shewba Space Hobo

It still doesn't work even with 32-bit.

12. Kulsius

Is game DVR enabled in xbox app?

13. bryozoa

bryozoa Space Spelunker

I have this issue either and I wish it was fixed...

I have i5-2500 cpu; AMD Radeon 6800; Win7 SP1 64x.

Tried starting game in 32 and 64 - both crash when trying to take a screenshot with default F12. And also it makes 5-12 screenshots with one keypress, 1 screenshot is normal all others are black.

And starbound.log file from ...Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\storage\ have many of lines like: "[21:13:16.722] [Error] OpenGL errors this frame: GL_INVALID_OPERATION"

Added: I have no software for screencapturing. I used built-in Steam FPS counter when i disabled it game still crashed on F12.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  14. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please attach your full log.

~ Iris ~

15. bryozoa

bryozoa Space Spelunker

that one from ..Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\storage\ I found on my own.

If there's other logs you need just say the path to them.

Attached Files: