1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed crash after update char wiped

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by nyano, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyano

nyano Space Hobo

Running on a Windows comp. I have music pack and blood mod installed. So, I played starbound when the game crashed because of update 40minutes ago. I tried to recover using the tutorial given in forum. When I delete the playerfile that is still there and then try to rename the bak file as (jumble).player there isnt anything to delete. They all read as .player or .ship . There isnt a .bak infront to remove...it still says bak1 2 and 3 on the side where file descr is...please help I cant restart again...too much time lost. Its the second playerfile that ends with 5d. There is also a fail world in the universe, im not sure if that would hinder char. Recovery

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please attach the full log located in your storage directory. It's named starbound.log (will show up as "starbound" when you don't have file extensions shown). There are also more logs (.1-.5). These are logs from the sessions before. If you didn't had start the game after the error i don't need them.

~ Iris ~

3. nyano

nyano Space Hobo

is there a way to send logs? it wont let me attach logs

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  4. Iris Blanche

The "upload a File" button supports the .log extension. Make sure you select the right file :) It's located in your storage folder itself (not player and not universe)

~ Iris ~

5. nyano

nyano Space Hobo

these correct web wont take it?

These correct? Web wont accept it?

Attached Files:

6. Iris Blanche

Please attach the file ^^' with the picture alone i can't see the contents.

Also use the edit function in the future when making additions to your first post.

~ Iris ~

7. nyano

nyano Space Hobo

Appologies, im new to the site, ok so the thing is im trying to attach but the logs arent being accepted as valid files to upload. Am I doing something wrong?

8. Iris Blanche

When navigating with the "upload a file" window to the folder you will see a file named "starbound". this is the log. Your OS doesn't show all fileextensions.

~ Iris ~

9. nyano

nyano Space Hobo

10. Iris Blanche

This is the file path on your local pc. I don't have access to it. Please follow the instructions i've given above.

~ Iris ~

11. nyano

nyano Space Hobo

did i do it correctly?

Attached Files:

Iris Blanche likes this.
  12. Iris Blanche

Did you edit your player files with notepad? When did you play starbound the last time before this happened?

~ Iris ~

13. nyano

nyano Space Hobo

I tried to yes, besides today, it was yesterday. But I havent closed the application since 2 days ago. I only went to menu and minimized the app

14. Iris Blanche

You've broken the files you tried to edit with notepad. You can try restoring them from their respective backups. If you already edited those files too then you messed up these characters and they're lost. There is also an outdated character file which also won't load.

What also were the error message of the crash you got?

~ Iris ~

15. nyano

nyano Space Hobo

It went black screen froze my comp. I waited 30min , and didn't notice my comp was dying. It died I turn it back on and char was gone. Next thing I see is "updating starbound". I look at patch notes, it was set for today so I figured that could be the problem. I know it couldn't have been a wipe, I still have other char.

16. Iris Blanche

Maybe your pc was overheating or your system encountered an error (maybe there was an autoupdate which caused a restart?) When starbound improperly or abruptly closes then it's a high chance that files get corrupted. It seems that this happened here.
    It also seems that you followed the guidelines in restoring the data but didn't read them carefully and/or skipped some important steps. You edited the raw files with notepad so these are lost unless you didn't save them.

~ Iris ~

17. nyano

nyano Space Hobo

The files I sent you are my back-ups before I edited. Is there nothing we can do?

18. Iris Blanche

So according to the picture you edited the backup files too. That means you messed up the character files and i don't know any way to restore them when they were saved with notepad. The playerfiles are "packed" json files which follow a binary structure. This structure isn't recognized by any text editor and therefor converted into characters. If you save it then the binary structure which is needed by starbound is completly destroyed. Maybe parts of it are still somehow readable but will have totally wrong values.
    If you don't have any other backups of the character files they're lost.

~ Iris ~

19. nyano

nyano Space Hobo

Damn. Ok...thank you for your assistance.

20. Iris Blanche

If you're unsure about how to restore the files the best would be to ask in this topic here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/fixing-lost-corrupted-universes-and-player-files.119985/ for assistance. Also don't let starbound open when you're not playing it. This should prevent these issue. Also the pc crash you experienced wasn't caused by starbound. Maybe it was an overheating issue or something else went wrong with the OS itself.

Closing this topic since it's not a crash caused by starbound itself and the playerfiles were afterwards corrupted by saving the files via notepad.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

nyano likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.