1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Costume Slots for Vanity Gear?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Gypsysmoke, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Gypsysmoke

Gypsysmoke Void-Bound Voyager

I have come across a lot of awesome costume gear pieces while wandering around the galaxy but I always end up wearing my Ferozium armor with a Lantern Stick backpack as it is the most utilitarian option and there are things trying to kill me out there.

I am wondering if there are plans (or thoughts about plans) of putting in alternative costume slots that would be visible while still wearing the high end gear for the stats (i.e. the costume gear covers up the main gear - this is commonplace in many other games).

My dream would be to be able to wear my Frozen Globe (and get the glowing buff from it) in the costume slot while wearing real armor underneath it (the Lantern stick kinda sucks and I really want to be taking Jeff around on my back anyway).

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Allowing buffs from vanity slots undermines their purpose. They are for cosmetic changes only. If you start allowing any sort of effects to carry over, then youve just created a new armor/trinket slot.

3. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

There allredy are "alternative costume slots that would be visible while still wearing the high end gear for the stats" aka vanity slots, they have been ingame for a long time, but they dont give any bonuses such as glow (you need to use the main armor slot for that).

Giving vanity slot bonuses such as glows wouldent work. Since if the vanity slots hade bonuses you would choose the armor with the best bonus instead of the one that looks good, negating the reason for a vanity slot to begin with.

You can use a lantern stick in the main back slot and put whatever you want in the vanity back slot. The item in the vanity slot will be the one that shows, but the effect thats applied will be the one from the main back slot. For example; you can wear a cape and have a glow if the cape is in the vanity back slot and the lantern stick is in the main back slot.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    Gypsysmoke likes this.
  4. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Lemme show and explain it to you from the Inventory screen.

[​IMG]

The blue is your armor. Obviously. I don't need to explain this part.

Pink is your vanity/clothing slot. Basically this overrides the armor appearance on your character. But no additional bonuses are given. Vanity items do and will not give bonuses (except for the Glow effect on the Biolumin costume and the big blue afro.) In a way its good that this is the case. Would be too easy.

Orange is a combination of both of the others. The top is what you actually have as an armor slot and the eye icon below is the vanity slot. With the same effects described in the pink.

BTW I would like to point out I am wearing Hylotl armor as a human cuz I am cool like that.

5. MrToni300

MrToni300 Ketchup Robot

xHel, how do you can change vanity item's color.

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

If the item is set up like any other armor, it should have color indexes. So you can use the command:

/spawnitem itemID '{"colorIndex":8}'

With the "8" being any number between 1 and 11. Or you can use json inserts to swap colors... or you can use Starcheat I believe.

7. Hel

I used SBSE. Kinda how I made the colours for my totally awesome suit ^_^

8. Gypsysmoke

Gypsysmoke Void-Bound Voyager

Ok, first off I feel really stupid, but thanks for not calling me really stupid. I see it now, and it was there the entire time. Awesome.

Second, I realized as I was writing that there are problems with the "stats from vanity items being placed on character" - what would be stopping you from doubling down on awesome armor (I mean a "vanity item" flag would I suppose but that's hardly the point because many of the "vanity" items in Starbound have some insignificant stats on them).

I was just really hoping for status effects (still problematic, sure), and really just hoping for the Frozen Globe because "Glowing" is so great when you are underground. I would guess the upgrades to the Lantern Stick will make this point moot however.

Thanks for the info again ;-)

Garatgh Deloi and lazarus78 like this.
  9. Hel

In my opinion vanity items aren't vanity if they gave extra effects. They're basically costumes for people to wear to look cool and be protected at the same time.

10. dar601

dar601 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

11. Kattanos

Kattanos Pangalactic Porcupine

I can't wait for the update because of these! To be fair, I hadn't heard much of the next update beyond that.. Some bits about sunset/sunrise aesthetic, and mostly harmless garden critters.. I say mostly harmless due to someone is bound to chase one into a trap, ambush, or off a cliff..

12. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

1.) THE SPICE!

2.) is that your real name?