1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Constant 20 FPS on gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Slimonz, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Slimonz

Slimonz Intergalactic Tourist

So I have a pretty good gaming laptop...can run Witcher 3 etc high settings 60 FPS no problem. From the title screen in Starbound I get a constant 20 FPS.
    Tried to play multiplayer last night and basically got stuck in the dash challenge/tutorial at the last challenge.
    Have read forums and tried every trick I came across (compatibility mode, resolution, windowed/full screen, regedit, vsync off in config, nvidia settings, hell even reinstalled the game) but NOTHING helps.
    Please provide me with some hope that my decent laptop can run this game. This is beyond ridiculous to be honest.

2. TheQ

TheQ Space Spelunker

Check your task manager to make sure it's starbound that's using all the resources and not something else. If resource usage looks ok in task manager, it might be using the integrated graphics instead of the nvidia graphics. Can you tell us your exact computer/computer specs?

3. Ultimate sandvich

Ultimate sandvich Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've ran into the same issue. You see, the problem here is that this game used to run fine for all these years, even on my old laptop which was pure junk, and until yesterday I was able to play it at the usual 50-60 fps. But today I updated my drivers (pretty late but that doesn't matter now), and now I'm stuck with this shitty fps that sometimes even drops beneath 20. After trying some things out I managed to get it to 60 fps on startup, but as soon as I click or do anything else, it drops to 20 again.

These are my specs:

GeForce GTX 960M
    Driver version 384.76
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    7.89 GB RAM

Considering this only took place after downloading the latest drivers, this will probably be an issue with Nvidia (what a surprise). It only seems to affect starbound tho, since I played other games at their usual fps today. I'll keep trying and if I find something, I'll let you people know. In the meantime, all help is welcome!

EDIT: So I started the 32-bit version of the game, and it ran at 60 fps. When I started the 64-bit version of the game, the issue seemed to have disappeared for some reason. Although there's a random drop to 20-30 fps a second or two after the main menu loaded (haven't played it long enough to see if it keeps happening tho), the problem seems to be gone, and I have no clue why.. You won't hear me complain about it tho :nuruhappy:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017