RELEASED Configurable Improved Sprinklers + Scarecrow and Sprinklers area Highlights

This mod allow you to make your sprinklers water in whatever shape you want, and add area highlights

1. RnDMonkey

RnDMonkey Void-Bound Voyager

Do they have to water in a square at all? Shouldn't they water in a circle? Crazy talk!

• Budzilla

Budzilla Subatomic Cosmonaut

Don't think you get what I am asking.

I was asking him to make them all water in a square, rather than having the odd oblong sides.

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

It was molly that put it in the cheat section :(

By the way for people arguing about the shape: I am now researching on how to make them very configurable, this way people stop fighting over the shape :p You will be allowed to make them whatever shape you want.

I don't decided yet how... Maybe I will see if I can edit the topic with a pool. If that doesn't work, then you people write after this post, my ideas are:

1) "Draw" in a .json file the shape you want, advantage is you can make it literally any shape you want, disvantage is that it has a size limit (for practical reasons I can't allow you to draw a farm-sized shape).

2) Add several shapes (cross, square, circle) that you can configure how far you want it to go (example: the default would be for the quality sprinker: circle 0, square 1, cross 3).

codemartin and Budzilla like this.
        • Arrek

Arrek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Creating the Shape would be interesting. Like the idea alot, would it be possible if that is done to make the sprinklers crossable like torches? I have a plan for a lawn sprinkler type then instead of the normal circular/square.

Also another thought would be to make a fourth sprinkler (Idea I have but lack of time and ability keeps me from putting it into practice), Irrigation Hoses. If it's possible to mod in multiple soil effects, tie a soil effect to a hose that can water two tiles (Above/Below, Left/Right). Would allow for super flexible farm design and layout, make trellis farming less a visual nightmare. Could be balanced on the materials used, and amount given per craft.

• Kittenykat

Kittenykat Big Damn Hero

Speeder, can you help me learn how to make a mod like this? I'm interested in learning, but I only get a few days off a week to try to look into these things.

• OrSpeeder

You can bug me in the irc channel I made: #stardew-modding in the network irc.freenode.net
              Also I am trying (if the forum cooperates :/) to put here in the forum a tutorial on how to use SMAPI

• Kittenykat

Kittenykat Big Damn Hero

Cool beans, I'll pop in when I get time. ^^

• Tyrian

Tyrian Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, if you don't want to make the sprinklers OP, but still make the basic sprinkler water the full circle like the vanilla quality sprinkler, you could try this shape for the modded quality sprinkler:

------W
                  WWSWW
                  ------W

I'm also wondering: Since you said that any shape is possible, can you possibly make sprinklers only water a single line in one direction? That would not only be very nice for anything growing on a trellis, but would also allow large fields without any sprinklers in the middle to block your way as you harvest them.

• OrSpeeder

I will work soon in making the seemly "winner" of the poll, the draw-able sprinkler configuration. It will come by default with the current shapes of the mod.
                    Mind you, I won't block the vanilla sprinklers working, for several reasons, it is not good idea to do so, so whatever you draw, will be whatever you draw + vanilla.

• raenevigil

raenevigil Phantasmal Quasar

This. ^ So much this. It's exactly what I'm looking for in coverage. *watches thread*

• ADoby

ADoby Subatomic Cosmonaut

Why waiting, its done already:
                        http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/simple-sprinkler.110326

As well as Circular Sprinklers and possibility to add more as you want.
                        Custom Pattern yet not implemented, because there was no desire.

Clovilah, syafiq and raenevigil like this.
                        • OrSpeeder

* points to the poll *

• ADoby

That is related to your mod, because it didn't have the functionality that people seeked.
                            And they didn't know about my mod.
                            If I would add this poll it would look differently.

• OrSpeeder

I made the poll before you released your mod, by the way. I just didn't had time yet to do as people asked, quite busy week for me this week.

• ADoby

Didn't know that, just saying, that people most likely won't even use it.
                                You can just use a rectangular sprinkler and not create as much tilled soil.
                                Sprinklers will only water tilled soil and ignore the default dirt.
                                Thats why I think custom patterns is just a waste of time even if we could easily implement it.

Just have fun doing it :p

• OrSpeeder

The way my mod works now, is perfect for my uses, and there is a reason why it ins't just a square, but a square + a cross.

But some people might want for example D shaped pattern, or butterfly sprinklers, and some other real-life existing patterns that CA never thought it would be possible, for those people, why not? I mean, implementing custom watering shape is easy, at least for me, thus why I offered it in the poll, I just didn't had the time to make it yet... But I can think all sorts of uses for it, like someone mentioned here, to make some interesting trellis patterns for example.

Or later, when custom objects become easily added without xnb modding, it might be the way to introduce specialized sprinklers for certain tasks (like watering flowers for bee houses without spamming sprinklers).

• ADoby

Whats the reason for the pattern ?
                                    Can't you just make the range bigger and have the exact same result ?

• OrSpeeder

If you read the thread first page, you will see that I explain that I didn't want to make the mod "cheaty", I just wanted to balance the existing sprinklers... people then asked for more features, some for cheaty reasons, but some want different sprinklers based on real-world sprinklers.

So for example the horizontal/vertical patterns (that I saw you added to your mod), can be used to water trellis better, without making the sprinkler overpowered. If you make the sprinkler water a large square, some layouts become too easy to create (for example the location for scarecrows) and you need less sprinklers than the usual, making them too cheap.

But now you gave me a good idea... I will see if I can mod sprinkler building cost, and make it so that it is tied to the sprinkler power... so that if a person wanna make a level 1 sprinkler that is 20 radius square-shaped he can, but he will need something like 50 iron bars =D

• ADoby

That would be amazing.
                                        Letting people configure your mod ALWAYS makes it cheaty.
                                        People have to decide for themself if they want a balanced game or not.

I will always create mods fully configurable (as much as desired at least)

• Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

creating the shape would be pretty nice, and really the size limit is fine, as long as you can reach the size you have presented in the mod currently.
                                          The big question is, how complicated would it be for the user to do this on their own? I mean, i really wouldnt want to download something just to edit the file, ya know? O: If it would be easy for the user to make the edits themselves though, i think it would be the best option over all because of the amount of customization it would provide.