Colonies and Endgame

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 27, 2015.

1. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

You are doing it wrong @Kawa. You have to post that info on the very first comment page. Saves you a lot of copypasting.

Most people post their pleas prior to perusing past page primus...

The | Suit likes this.
  2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@BloodyFingers, if there's one thing I've learned about this community, one near-universal constant, it's that noone ever reads. Even if it's on the first page.

3. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well now I feel very unintelligent because I remember reading that now. I will go rethink my life now xD

(All humor aside thanks for reminding me Kawa, I wouldn't have remembered such a helpful thing without you reminding me ;D)

RatixFarrence and Kawa like this.
  4. DJ-Hyrul3

DJ-Hyrul3 Void-Bound Voyager

*Finishes reading the first post and sees this post*

well I never :p

5. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Building cities is a bit annoying at the moment, because monsters spawn on every tile - back in Koala, they didn't do that on human-made structures. I hope that CF fixes that before they add the colony feature.

6. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are you describing natural tiles like dirt, sand, rocks vs. manmade tiles?
    Edit: I would assume that would be addressed in the tagging process.

7. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I mean stuff like this:

[​IMG]

How am I supposed to prevent this, when I want to build a nice colony by the sea, without guns and making it Fort Knox? These beasts even conquer my lighthouse...

RatixFarrence, Tamorr and Kawa like this.
  8. RatixFarrence

Ouch, hope the devs can figure this one out... is that monster...doing what I think it is?

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Yes.

n1t3n likes this.
  10. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I might be mistaken but it seems that, in this case, the monster didn't really spawn inside your building. But given it's architecture, it might easily move indoors.

I heard that Terraria determined monster-spawning areas by background tiles. I don't know if Starbound uses a similar algorithm, but if it does, then that monster appeared there due to the lack of crafted background tiles. I've had monsters appearing in such odd places ever since I began playing this game.

11. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

It doesn't matter if inside or outside or on the roof! What do you think how it looks like when you have a fancy building with a long roof full of monsters? It's simply horrible. And even more: this wasn't the case back in Koala. This "feature" highly disencourages me to build anything big at the moment. It's just bad.

In all my time in San Leone with the old update, this didn't happen even once. And San Leone was a pretty big project with long roofs.

By the way, they ALSO spawn inside buildings, I encountered a monster yesterday literally on my breakfast table when teleporting back.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  12. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Spawning habits definitely need to be tuned or looked at, but I can imagine it is on a long list of things needed.

monster on breakfast table... I guess that one wanted to be served.o_O lol

Beatrice likes this.
  13. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I know, but for a builder who really likes to design houses and entire cities, I won't plan anything on a large scale anymore until some things are fixed. For example, building a moonbase has become nearly impossible du to every moon having the same weather (including meteors); I know this has to do with the weather, but all in all, the actual version of giraffe isn't as builder-friendly as koala was. As such, I hope that the colonies leads Starbound in a better direction - but there are other things more important than the "rent&sale" NPC model. Back then, in December 2013, we were promised homeplanet systems to change our homeworld much easier (weather and terraforming changes, for example). This is not a small thing, but it goes hand in hand when planning a real colony. For example, I hate the rain on every Ocena planet. Like I hate these monsters spawning everywhere and destroying my imagination.

One problem are the background tiles. Sure, if you stay underground, it won't happen. But I like to build arches, balconies, galleries and terraces; and also "open" doors to reflect arches.

(just to give another example)

[​IMG]

A model like this is full with monsters in no time. The three arches are an open door, even if other spaces are filled. And the bridge has also tiny holes, which makes it "penetrateable" for monsters.

And this is only a small building.

If we are determined to have always background tiles, it determines our playstyle. This is a direction away from the sandbox-concept, once again. I don't want to be "that" person again, but I think that - as an avid builder of cities, colonies and buildings - I have some experience I might share - and I want to share.

14. RatixFarrence

Hopefully the colony system wipes out this problem, not only tagging the structure/objects inside for NPC living, but also to keep monsters away within a certain radius.

Beatrice likes this.
  15. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

@Beatrice Yeah i do understand that. I have seen a lot of your series of lovely builds. And is a shame that this is happening.

I am a builder, but have yet to do anything big. Mainly for me it is the lack in variety from biome to biome that gets me. So I have to look at something else when determining building things. I build with terrain most times, and terraform when need to fit an idea or inspiration in. Having monsters spawning in things built is a bit odd, and I agree that I don't even remember monsters even spawning so close to even dungeon villages not made by me in Koala. Now even those are plagued.

Birds will always spawn, but that is granted even in koala, and of little concern. It is the land dwellers that seem to be a problem in building. Also the rain in-house thing if built too tall. Don't know if that has been fixed or worked with yet either.

so yes it seems right now the builder mechanic has been downgraded or feels like it, even if assets to build with are expanded; it is the actually mechanics that involve building. Monster spawning, weather, and environment in general do play in part to the mechanic of building. I am sure there are other factors too, as a build like you or I can see plenty of things that go into building creatively.

At least certain things like the colony seems like a slight improvement, but little is known of that as well; so leaves me a bit skeptical in how it will work into the actual building aspect. That I'll just have to wait and see. Does peek my interest, and hopefully with that and a few other tunings we can have certain things a bit more freelance when wanted. After all inspiration comes in many forms.:)

Hatsya Souji and Beatrice like this.
  16. Gevouden

Gevouden Big Damn Hero

"Needs Gambling and prostitutes." -Bender

n1t3n likes this.
  17. ermacia

ermacia Void-Bound Voyager

is this already in the beta, or still in development?

18. BotanicalCode

BotanicalCode Subatomic Cosmonaut

That would encourage players to trade with NPCs (or other players on servers), increase RPG, and it would also give a reason to have multiple characters. But I definitely see why you wouldn't want it.

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

[jest] MU SANDBOX!!! [/jest]

20. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Wow that really is amazing.
    I wish I could take your designs and just turn them into spawning dungeons - it would add so much atmosphere to the game.

Tamorr and Beatrice like this.