Clockwork's content mod creation and installation guide

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Clockwork, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

So you want to mod starbound? Well I have good news, for the most part it's insanely easy. However most of the mods I've seen just tell you what file to edit, or give you a file to replace, in a specific folder.

I propose a standardized format for mods. Modding in starbound is similar to modding in dota 2, you have a bunch of folders you need to put files into, and giving people a list of what files to put where doesn't really work very well.

My idea is extremely simple, create a blank file structure of the starbound asset folder. Put your file into the specific place it needs to be, and then zip that entire file tree, and tell people to simply take the asset folder you distributed, and copy it into their starbound game folder. It will then give a prompt asking if the user wants to overwrite the file, and then they're done!

I know this seems like a stupid, obvious, and kind of pointless thread, but I think standardizing mods like this is necessary until Chucklefish gives us a mod folder to just drag and drop files into.

I don't really know if this is the right section, however it's the only one on modding, and I thought the most relevant.

I'll upload an example later.

2. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

One question - are you Clockwork, the one who created the Half Life 2 Roleplay mod for Garry's Mod?

3. Clockwork

Nope, I'm not quite that talented.

4. jgdovin

jgdovin Poptop Tamer

This sounds great, except on mac, when you do this it would replace the folders with nothing but what was in the zip.

5. Clockwork

Really? That's a bit silly.

carcrasher65 likes this.