1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Chucklefish, that is not a moon, and that is not a planet.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Wreth, Jul 28, 2015.

1. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

You mean charcoal.

2. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

I don't disagree with your suggestion at all, it's something we've discussed in the past and it will definitely improve UX for a lot of players; just wanted to be clear on the reasons for the way it is and for changing it.

3. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

Looks like a Coconut Effect to me.
    Y'know, when people expect something unrealistic to be real because they've seen it so many times in different movies or something. My logic may be faulty, but you probably can understand my reasoning if you try.

4. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, the UI is useful if you've actually run into a 'moon' planet already. Otherwise you're left to rely (incorrectly) on common knowledge of what a moon is and may waste a bunch of time.

'Lunar' would be the most accurate and helpful. It implies a surface like Earth's moon (a.k.a. Luna.)

Harakhti likes this.
  5. Wreth

Wreth Phantasmal Quasar

I feel like ''Dead planet'' would work.

Nah I understand. Thanks for being such cool devs and listening to your playerbase. Love the game!

6. The MechE

Well, it's not a question of realism vs fantasy. It's more of using the right words to describe the right things. If I told you to go find a door, and by door I actually meant a plant, that would be a better example. The wrong word was used. Doors are not plants, moons are not planets.

7. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

It's not that you're wrong, but I don't see how the others that you mentioned get confused. It clearly says "A moon" in the description of it's a moon.

8. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

They ran off a goddamn cliff- oh, wait, sorry, got this confused with another thread. Cant imagine why.

pop-yotheweird likes this.
  9. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

READ. That's my point. It's so simple
    It doesn't take a minute to read simple descriptions of a game.
    If you still cant get my point, I'm sorry to be a little rude but, you are dense
    If you still want to bash my comment, go ahead,not going to bother entertaining you
    I have said my piece. Need to get out of this topic
    It's starting to boil. I hope it will simmer down soon.

10. The MechE

Well, I do read the surface analysis and have never had trouble with moons myself. I still think it's a bad idea to use the wrong word though. Once again, that would be like me telling you to go find me a door and then I show the picture of a blue plant. You know what you're looking for, but you obviously believe that a stupid error was made as that is not a door.

Also, I'm not bashing you dude, chill

11. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

That right there. You have no problem about it after all!
    Man, if you have no problems about it, why do you need to take it further?
    I was just saying that you just need to read descriptions.That's it!
    It's like I'm just giving a tip or advice about my first comment in this post.
    And maybe you'll say again,"that would be like me telling you to go find me a door and then I show the picture of a blue plant"
    And I'll say my point about reading again. And goes on full circle. It will never stop
    Unless you're a -wants to have the last words kind of guy ,which is immature and rude.

12. Madisel

Madisel Void-Bound Voyager

This whole argument is about semantics. One could make the argument that all the planets in a solar system are moons of the local star, and that would be a perfectly valid argument if one simply considers "star" as a type of planet. Also, given the nature of the Novakids, which as I recall are essentially living sacs of stellar gasses, it is entirely possible or plausible that there are beings in the Starbound setting that could live in a stellar environment, and hence consider it their home planet. By a similar token, artificial satellites could also be argued to be considered moons depending on how you define a moon.

If you go by the simple action required, orbiting a larger body, everything in space could be considered a moon for something else, up to and including small galaxies orbiting larger ones over the course of billions of years.

So, while I came to this thread expecting a Star Wars reference... I would agree with the suggestion that the "moon" biome be considered for some sort of rename. Rocky Planets? Lunite Planets? Echrius Planets? At the same time, I don't see any dire need for a change. Some people might overlook the way the nav system UI literally tags planets/moons in game and think more realistically... but so what? Eventually they learn, and probably end up having some fun exploring and finding stuff, even if they didn't find what they thought they would.

Landwatch and Crossfang like this.
  13. The T.C.

The T.C. Tentacle Wrangler

I'm in favor of the moons being called dwarf planets.

Tho honestly I always refer to them as fuel or Eucharist planets. :rofl:

14. Severite

Severite Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well.....I did actually search for fuel on multiple moons, until I just so happened to find a planet with 'moon' biome, and that's when it clicked, but I hollowed out four planets, and spot cored two more, before I just so happened to run across the biome. Luckily I never ran out of iron. and I do mean never.

15. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

You know, MechE, it's posts like these that really show you have no experience with what you are talking about when you talk about features in Enraged Koala, etc. No, fuel did not take time to find - fuel was Coal, the most abundant ore available at the time. You literally picked up your first ship fuel the moment you mined Coal Ore, and, with tree farms using Forest biome trees (which had/have good Sapling drops), you never ran out of Coal. Nor was there ever such a thing as charcoal, as the recipe for smelting Unrefined Wood created Coal. Using my Enraged Koala assets, I will provide evidence of that claim in the following spoiler:

Asset path: ...Starbound\assets\enraged_koala\recipes\starter\stonefurnace\coalore.recipe
    Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "fullwood1", "count" : 10 }
      ],
      "output" : {
        "item" : "coalore",
        "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "stonefurnace", "all" ]
    }

Finding fuel is far more interesting now, because Liquid Erchius is actually not found on every single planet, unlike Coal is/was. It is only found on Moon biomes, and Liquid Erchius itself, while overly abundant and not at all deadly or risky to havest with an Oxygen Nanosuit, is frickin' awesome in comparison with Coal.

With that out of the way, I'd like to say that I fully agree that the current naming for barren, atmosphere-lacking worlds on the edge of a solar system is rather subpar. In fact, I'd take it a step further. I think that the "moon" biome on the outskirts of each system should be relabeled a "dwarf planet" and be drastically reduced in size when compared to other worlds. Also, I think Ice should be a prevalent tile found on the world, and that the various "Moon" tiles should be renamed to something less suggestive of the thing that orbits our world. If some planets had lifeless small worlds orbiting them, those would more appropriately be considered a "moon" biome - also, I want to see a "captured asteroid" biome too, to replicate the kind of moons that Mars has (Phobos and Deimos). Also, "asteroid field" biomes should also be a common type of "moon", and they should actually appear like an asteroid belt or ring like each of the gas giants we know of has. Probably more common around gas giant worlds in Starbound, but maybe very large terrestrial planets can have them too? Would be cool!

1nfinitezer0 and yclatious like this.
  16. The MechE

I was just pointing out that would make charcoal in real life, not coal. Probably be a good idea to make charcoal give less fuel than coal to discourage tree farms for charcoal.

17. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Coal gave one unit of fuel per piece of Coal. There is no such thing as fractional fuel units, and Coal is not going to be fuel for FTL engines again due to its drastic overabundance so NO.

18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

And hell, it didn't take long to replace Coal with more efficient fuels just by strolling along the surface of a planet and picking up the Uranium, Plutonium and Solarium that were at surface level. Finding fuel was LESS involved in EK by a country mile. There was no effort to fuel-gathering whatsoever.

At least now you have to find the right kind of planetoid and dig. I think those sites could certainly use more variety... finding Erchius Cystals that offer better distance-per-unit would be nice, and some micro-dungeons of abandoned (or even curently-manned!) mining facilities would be cool to see.

But no. Fuel in EK, like almost ALL the systems in that build, were at best incomplete, untested skeletons that needed a LOT of work to be not a joke.[DOUBLEPOST=1438471380][/DOUBLEPOST]All told, I'd be up for calling the planet-type "Erchius Planetoid", something a bit more on-the-nose as to their in-game purpose.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    STCW262 and Mackinz like this.
  19. Wyrmstar

Wyrmstar Void-Bound Voyager

This is already changed in the nightly build. The new description calls them "airless" worlds. Of course you still get moondust and moonrocks on their surface. Personally, I think they should just call them "airless moons" and make it so they only spawn as little planets around bigger ones. That would differentiate them from the other little planets present around a bigger one, which are technically moons with atmospheres. Regardless, the nightly build shows they are messing with them at least.

Landwatch likes this.