1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Character Wipe?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Hanako Ikezawa, Dec 10, 2013.

1. urist mcaxedwarf

urist mcaxedwarf Lucky Number 13

This argument seems fairly pointless. Your characters will be wiped, you are doomed, there is no hope the end is nigh... Repent now.

Serenity likes this.
  2. Cormac

Cormac Void-Bound Voyager

you are right, "Early Access" does NOT mean beta.....
    BUT: "Steam Early Access" means beta. Buying an "Early Access Game" on steam does mean you are getting into a beta/alpha, and the blue box on Early Access games should be enough to tell everyone that those games are betas

3. FireCyanide

FireCyanide Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah, me and my friend managed to get a long way through the game (almost dragon boss) but then characters were wiped, we shrugged our shoulders, said 'Meh' and continued playing.
    We now know the best way to start and kill the early bosses.

4. Ewok_Jedi

Ewok_Jedi Aquatic Astronaut

Copy-pasta from Steam's Starbound store page:

Early Access Game
    Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.
    Learn more about Early Access.

What the developers say:
    “Starbound is already extremely playable and contains a vast amount of content, however we decided to release the game as a beta through early access to ensure the community gets a chance to help us shape the game. In this first stage of the beta process you may experience some bugs but updates will come thick and fast as we listen to your feedback and add new content.”

Kohl124 likes this.
  5. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

and I thought I was an asshole

the people in this thread are way more jerky than me

6. Sergeant Scryed

Sergeant Scryed Astral Cartographer

Not my fault people don't or can't use reading comprehension and fly off the handle when something was said in a major post pertaining to the status of the game

Get off your high horse.

You either read it or ignored it, IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE!

http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/

That has been on the website for quite sometime, you either read it or you didn't

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  7. Bessieblouoog

Bessieblouoog Poptop Tamer

....I was ok with the character wipe earlier...I started a new character and put some hours into the game to find that all my items..weapons, mining pick, hammers food, items I won from mobs have all disappeared...I now have
    nothing again. I am ok with a reasonable character wipe, but wiping 90% of the items after 2 hours play?

8. Aetius

Aetius Master Chief

You typically don't wipe just a few things. You do a COMPLETE wipe to see how the changes you make alter progression, playability, etc etc. In order to test these things people have to start fresh. I'm sorry you were not prepared for this, but this is typical of a beta and was clearly stated by the devs. If this bothers you overmuch, I would suggest you set the game aside for a few weeks.

Also, keep in mind that a major part of the fun of this game is exploring the randomly generated worlds. Look at it this way - you just got a brand new batch of randomly generated worlds!!! ;)

9. 다크 그레나다

다크 그레나다 Void-Bound Voyager

Only 33 hours? Meh, I put in 40.

10. glider521al

glider521al Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you want to reclaim lost resources from wipes (or at least skip the early grind from mining that you've already completed), all you have to do is mod in custom recipes to starbounds steam folder,

The devs have made it a fairly straight forward process, to edit/add the .recipe (JSON) files:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...crafting-station-create-custom-recipes.37902/

I lost 18 hours from the character wipe, rather than have to mine all over again, I just followed the guide above, and my gear and ftl drive were back to their former glory in no time. :D
    (Thankyou "Dragonchampion")

11. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know many people who got the game from steam without ever visiting the website of the game itself. I know I did. But knowing a little JSON, reaquiring all my items and money was a 5 minute job. The layout of my ship and planet might take a little longer, but with tools like the fishaxe, not too long.

12. glider521al

glider521al Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What file(s) do you need to edit/backup for the player's inventory (I understand JSON as well, but the .player files seemed to be encrypted binary)? I think that would be alot better than using the hax recipe method. :)