1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Character Editor

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Irtan, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Irtan

Irtan Void-Bound Voyager

I was playing on modified of Starbound (1.0) and after installing 2-3 additional mods my characters hairstyle was change to rather atrocious one.

So here's my question: is there any in-game way to change character's hairstyle and if not, is there any working editor or way to set back my original hairstyle? :/

Apprecieate any help.
    --- Post updated ---
    Scrap it. I manage to edit my hairstyle through .player file.

For anyone with the same problem or if you just want to change your character's appearance:

1. Go to your Starbound folder (Steam: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound) -> storage -> player
    2. There you should be able to find .player file(s). One file for each character you've created. Topmost one is for the last played character.
    3. Open .player file with text editor (Notepad++ is great for that) and scroll down or just search for "hairType" (no quote marks). Right after that there should be a name of your character's hairstyle eg. male23 or male8. I only did it on male human character but it should be similar with others.
    4. Launch Starbound and create new character with the type of hairstyle you want on your main char (and some easy to remember name). Start a new game with it and then save and quit. Go back to your player folder. There should be a new .player file on top. Open it and search for the name of your second character. If you find it, then that's his file. Search for "hairType", copy the name of the new hairstyle and then past it in to your main character's file (swaping old chairstyle name for this new one).
    5. Save your main file and launch Starbound. Load your main character and check out his new, fabulous hairstyle. c:

I don't know if .player editing is a common knowledge here or not but maybe this will help someone in the future.

With this method you should also be able to edit other aspects of your character, like their personality (stance), skin/hair colours, your inventory and so on. But I haven't played with that yet, so I won't be of much help here. :p

Have a great day.

2. Buxx

Buxx Title Not Found

To skip the part of creating a new character for copy the new hair's name, you can go into /Starbound/assets (only works with unpacked assets) -> /humanoid and choose the race your character has -> /hair and look up the name. Similar way for e.g. the brand on your Novakid.

Anyway, thank you very much, Irtan. This will help me a lot for the future. c: Didn't know it's that easy.

FoolDeadPool likes this.
  3. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Just mentioning if the mod in question is Starface, Bietol has released a fix for the hairstyles being shifted.

4. Irtan

Irtan Void-Bound Voyager

I had the same hairstyle changing problem with Starface but it was on the new (tutorial) character so I just created new one. I don't know what exactly messed that up because the only things I installed between sessions were few music mods and inventory mod.

Anyway, now I have fix for the future. c:

5. Hawklaser

Hawklaser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now here is an interesting question, could this be used to apply one races hairstyle or other cosmetics to a character of a different race without the game going nutzo?

6. Buxx

Buxx Title Not Found

I think this might be possible. The full source code is shown - if I don't look at the wrong line -, so you could replace e.g. "humanoid/floran/hair/1.png" with "humanoid/human/fem1.png". Theoretically.

7. robrym

robrym Intergalactic Tourist

Question. ¿Do you guys see weird symbols when you are trying to edit with notepad++?.
    Becase my "hairType" looks like this HairType ENQ NUL BS

8. Buxx

Buxx Title Not Found

Yes, me too. But between these weird symbols you have some common code like the example in my last post - I hope you don't see weird symbols only. I don't know if this is a Notepad++ thing or breaks the file, so I didn't dare to edit the file yet.

9. MegaBrunoX

MegaBrunoX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Those characters aren't meant to be read as string, but as bytes. If you want to modify them, you are going to need a Hex editor.
    For example. the NUL you saw was basically a byte with value 0x00.

10. Goldman575

Goldman575 Aquatic Astronaut

When I changed the "hairType" and went into Starbound, my main character was gone. Does anybody know why or have any fixes?

11. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just change whatever you changed back.

There are also backups beneath your character but I don't know how far back they go. You should have made a current backup for yourself.

12. Goldman575

I did change the data back but still nothing. How do I use the backup?

13. Eonwulf

First move the current .player file somewhere else so it doesn't mess anything. Then just change the file name to get rid of the .bak extension so that at the end it's only .player. And like I said I don't know how often it backups so you may be set back quite a bit.

14. Goldman575

I can't seem to understand what you mean. It would help if you gave an example. Sorry for all of this...

15. Eonwulf

Let me try to draw it out. Also to note that I don't even know if this will work I am just assuming it will.

[​IMG]

16. Goldman575

I don't have the .bak extension... is this a problem?

17. Ruko

Ruko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It means either your character is brand new, or you've somehow disabled character backups. It also means your character is probably lost forever if you can't find a way to fix what you changed in the file.

18. FloransAreCool69

FloransAreCool69 Intergalactic Tourist

Thanks for making me lose my favorite character. Changing it back didn't work. :nurumad: Better figure something out...

Actually, thanks for the help, you :nuruhappy:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  19. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Nope. It usually just means the person doesn't have the option to make file extensions visible turned on. Here are guides to make them visible for windows and mac:
    Windows: https://www.howtohaven.com/system/show-file-extensions-in-windows-explorer.shtml
    Mac: http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/13/show-filename-extensions-in-mac-os-x/
    So don't worry too much. You'll probably be able to recover your character, since you can't open them anyway and probably won't be able to overwrite their info.

On a side note, this is why I make a copy of the storage folder after every few starbound sessions.

20. Kankree

Kankree Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm trying to edit an existing character through the .player file, though rather than changing their hair I'm trying to change their skin color. Can anyone assist?