Changing name of recipes

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Deadshot15, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Deadshot15

Deadshot15 Master Chief

Hi all,

i have a problem with crafting recipes. When i try to change their name,

eg.
    from Wood Fence: "388 2/Field/322/false/l 0" #!String
    to Wod Fnce: "388 2/Field/322/false/l 0" #!String

the object in question disappear in game...
    Can you help me? Please.

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

I'm not sure which XNB you're looking at.

Try changing the name through the "ObjectInformation.xnb"

ex: 322: "Wood Fence/1/-300/Crafting -8/Keeps grass and animals contained!" #!String

In the file you've found this in, (assuming the format is what you have posted here) the 'Wood Fence' part is a key and the string (information between " ") is a value.
      When you change the name of wood fence, you're not changing the in game name, but instead, you're changing the key which is used to search or recall the value associated with the key.
      (This is why it disappears)

Let me know if that helped you out!

(Don't be afraid to ask for further clarification if my answer is too technical)

Deadshot15 likes this.
      • Deadshot15

Deadshot15 Master Chief

I see but, I tried to open the file "ObjectInformation.xnb" and search for eg. "torch".
        I changed the key torch into torchs.
        Now, i opened the file "CraftingRecipes.xnb" and I changed also here the key "torch" into "torchs".

Results: the item disappear in game.

Theoretically if i change the key in both files it should be work, right?

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

@Deadshot15

You can't change the keys because those are used to point to the values.

You need to change the values to edit the attributes of an item.

To change torches, you need to find where torch attributes are.
          Don't change the keys, only the values.

Deadshot15 likes this.
          • Deadshot15

Deadshot15 Master Chief

@RTGOAT so how can i change name of recipes?

In attributes there isn't the value to change the name...

Please help :( Try youself

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

@Deadshot15 : In objectinformation the data for a torch can be changed...
              93: "Torch/5/-300/Crafting/Provides a modest amount of light." #!String

For objects like a bee house, their attribute data is stored in bigcraftablesinformation
              10: "Bee House/50/-300/Crafting -9/Place outside and wait for delicious honey! (Except in Winter)./true/true/0" #!String

I'm not 100% sure, but my assumption is that all object attributes are stored in (objectinformation.xnb and bigcraftablesinformation.xnb)

Now this will change the name of the created object, but it may not change the name of the recipe when you hover it in the crafting menu.
              The name for recipes look to be in their keys rather than in the value like information.xnbs.

That means that you would need a .dll mod to change the names of recipes (Again, I don't edit xnbs too often so this assumption may not be fully accurate),
              because the key is the name and the key also points to the necessary information for the recipe to exist.

p.s don't ask me for help when I'm already helping you,
              nor ask me to experience your issue first hand before you take the time to understand why the issue is occurring.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
                Deadshot15 likes this.
              • Deadshot15

Deadshot15 Master Chief

@RTGOAT sorry, I really appreciate your help :)

I have no idea how to do this, is there a guide or tutorial?

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

@Deadshot15

Programming...
                  If you're interested in working with this game, start by learning basic fundamentals in C#.
                  Or if you want to skip steps look in forum's sticky posts (posts at the top of where you put this post) for modding tutorials.

Everything you want is in there, but it will require patience and dedication to learn.

Deadshot15 likes this.
                  • Deadshot15

Deadshot15 Master Chief

@RTGOAT this can help me? link

EDIT: I tried to use this tool, but it isn't update to latest version of the game :(

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
                    • RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

@Deadshot15 I'm not sure, mate.
                      Reach out and message the authors of those resources for questions.

• Deadshot15

Deadshot15 Master Chief

@RTGOAT I managed to change names of recipes through the use of Localization Tool :)

RTGOAT likes this.