Changed Food Blueprints to look like Recipe Cards. Add Cookbooks.

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Mackinz, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I know it's simpler the way it is now, but it rather irks me that you have to find blueprints to be able to cook more varieties of food, rather than things like recipe cards with the food image on it or race-specific cookbooks.

The first suggestion is simple enough. just replace the background of the food icon for recipes.

The second suggestion is a bit more complex. Essentially, it's a multi-page recipe book which would unlock more than one recipe when used (like any Codex entry or Blueprint currently is). Would help speed up the process of collecting recipes if found randomly generated, and could also be crafted with individual recipes to, maybe, give to other players on a multiplayer server.

I've been thinking about this a lot. Can't find any real balance issue with either... mostly an aesthetic change. What do you think, fellow Cooks?

Tamorr likes this.
  2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

umm... I like the first part, as it makes more sense. The background shouldn't look like a blueprint/tech item, even if in the long run technically would be. makes it more at a glance to know if it is a recipe for cooking than a blueprint for something else.

As for the second part, I am not too fond of the multi learn from book idea, as I am a collector. I would rather use or have a cookbook that I log my progress in my cooking skills so I know what ones i am missing. This would be what I would see in it.

A useable item the opens a log book with recipes learned, categorized in tabs in a alphanumeric order. This would have a search function like the crafting stations. With the recipes learned being at the top in order, while the unlearned ones below those with a ? in the icon. The ? (unlearned) recipes there will be a hint description instead of the usual description you would see when learned. The hint would be geared toward what the recipe is of. The search function obviously would only work for what you have learned.

For me I would rather have that kind of setup, as I like going out of my way to collect the individual recipes. This is a personal preference though.

3. Mackinz

That could be an extension of the Codex, which lists which recipes you have found like the Wooden Cooking Table does. Does not have to be a cookbook.

I like hunting them down as well, but it's rather frustrating to raid multiple villages, castles and dungeons to find out how to make... Pies like Sweet Time. I've raided a dozen large Glitch generations and am still missing a number of recipes. A rare cookbook would help reduce the frustration that comes from being inhibited by RNG.

And that doesn't change how the cookbooks could be crafted by the player to give to another player as a gift.

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

still not too fond of the rare cookbook, but do like the crafting one to give to a friend to learn.

Really I think that if you have learned the recipe, maybe you can make a recipe card/notebook that you can give to others to learn. Basically being able to craft those recipe tech items that you learned from in the first place. Can't make what you didn't learn first. This would be more for the multiplayer aspect of course so in a way players could swap recipes they have learned.

5. The5lacker

The5lacker Phantasmal Quasar

I don't know about you, but when I think of cooking food I totally think microchips and holographic schematics.

6. Mackinz

The rare cookbook would just speed things up. Could be a structure generation item, or found in NPC stores, and it would allow the player to get the recipes quicker than normal, by rewarding exploration or by costing a lot of pixels (I was thinking 6000 pixels or so).

The multiplayer cookbook would just be plain awesome. It could be a portable chest for recipes, or something. Craft the book, right-click with it, and fill it with recipes to give to another player.

Very cool.

Well, it's obviously because you're a Glitch, and your food is made of that stuff anyway. :v

7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

oh I see you point, even though I not too fond of it. Pretty easy to understand it even from the first post.

If it were in game, it gets in game. Either way is fine by me, after all it is just preference of mine, no matter how odd that sounds. lol

But over all it is a good idea, wasn't doubting that. :D

8. Badprenup

Badprenup Ketchup Robot

I wouldn't mind the idea of the cookbook in the OP, depending on how many recipes it has. But I definitely like the idea of changing the image for recipes and the added idea of a cookbook you can use to make recipes to give to friends.

I'd like the cookbook for making recipes to be something you place like a crafting station, so you could place it on your Crafting Table or Kitchen Counter. Then you can read it like a cookbook and make copies of recipes for friends.

Tamorr likes this.