Modding Help Change "Some Indescribable Horror" Text

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Campaigner, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

I got tired of seeing the "some indescribable horror" message on randomly generated captured pets, so I took a look for that line in all the files in an attempt to change it to something more interesting. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in finding what I needed to edit.

Here's what I did, in order;
    1. Opened capturepod.thrownitem
    2. Opened capturepod.projectile
    3. Opened capturepod.lua
    4. Opened the following: "/scripts/util.lua", "/scripts/companions/util.lua", "/scripts/messageutil.lua"
    5. "/scripts/companions/util.lua" allows you to change the "Unknown" subtitle.
    6. Opened "/scripts/pathutil.lua"
    7. Opened "/scripts/rect.lua"
    8. Opened "/scripts/vec2.lua", hit a dead end
    9, Searched for every .lua file in the unpacked assets, opened all in Notepad ++, searched for "indescribable" and "horror"
    10. Same as 9, but with .config files instead

I got to figure out what makes the subtitle, so at least that's a start, but this is where I got stuck. Could someone help figure out which file determines this message?

xaliber likes this.
  2. magewish4

magewish4 Pangalactic Porcupine

I searched all the files for 'some indescribable horror' - no hits. I guess its hard-coded as a default?
    You could add a description to the .monstertype files for generated mobs or edit /scripts/companions/util.lua to have a backup description

3. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

That is definitely an easy option (which I managed to forget was even an option, thanks!), though I had hoped I could change just one tiny line for one file. Hard coding is such a cruel thing.

4. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A more complex option could be to add a script to those .monstertype files to generate a description, but you don't really have much to work with beside the monster's type (largebiped etc) and level, so using the patch solution would probably be easier for similar results

5. magewish4

magewish4 Pangalactic Porcupine

Can't you access the seed and color? That would be a good start for a description

6. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The seed yes, but it's just a number; and I'm not so sure about the color. Monsters have access to the actorMovementController, animator, entity, monster, statusController, world, root & message tables; doc about these can be found on the wiki or in /doc/lua/ in the game's folder. By playing enough there's surely ways to get some unique stuff, but I don't think there's much; It'd provide more flavors than one generic text tho