1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial CentOS 32-bit/64-bit complete dedicated server guide, chroot, startup script and newest libstdc++

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by class101, Dec 15, 2013.

1. PopinFRESH

PopinFRESH Lucky Number 13

Thanks! that got it working again. however, just to note for people upgrading and not cleanly installing using your guide you need to do a couple additional steps after recreating the launcher (you might also want to explicitly say to ctrl+x then y to save out the file from nano). Once it's recreated the permissions seem to need to be reset again so just continuing through the rest of that section will fix that, then they will also need to re-run the "launch the server for the first time" line and once it's running and goes to sleep they should be able to ctrl+c out of the server and use "service starbound start" again.

class101 likes this.
  2. PopinFRESH

Hey guys, I just double checked with a clean install on another chroot and you do only need to chmod 775 the launch_starbound_server.sh script and then run the
    "su starbound /starbound/linux$(getconf LONG_BIT)/launch_starbound_server.sh". Once it's started and you see the server goes to sleep use Ctrl+C to close out of the server and you can then use the service starbound start | stop | restart commands at that point.

class101 likes this.
  3. PopinFRESH

Hello again,

It seems that they may have pushed out a small hot-fix (though I can't find anything on here that says they did). However this morning I got a server version error when trying to connect to my server. I forget the number but I'm pretty sure it was the client version 635 and the server was 634. I have Steam on my PC auto update games so I'm not sure if this is the case or if something was just broken on my server.

Anyway, if you had already patched to Furious Koala and created class101's launcher script and then you get this error, simply logging into steamcmd and updating starbound again will fix it. (make sure you direct steam to the starbound folder we used or just use the ./steamcmd.sh +login USERNAME PASSWORD +force_install_dir /starbound/ +app_update 211820 validate +quit

4. Nassai

Nassai Poptop Tamer

Hi Class101,

I tried to install with a clean install. I am getting the errors that PopinFRESH listed.

Code:
    ./starbound_server: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by ./starbound_server)
    ./starbound_server: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.5' not found (required by ./starbound_server)
    ./starbound_server: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by ./starbound_server)

Any guidance would be appreciated?

Thanks!

Nassai

5. :facepalm: do you realize the goal of this guide is to fix this error so if you see it , you did not complete the guide

Could be many cause, you forgot to add the launch_starbound_server.sh script, nor you forgot to create the libstdc++.so.6 symbolic links near the starbound_server (steps starting with ln -s)

6. Nassai

Nassai Poptop Tamer

Sorry about that.

I definitely double checked the launch_starbound_server.sh, I will double check the other steps you highlighted.

class101 likes this.
  7. if I can be of any help add me on Steam same nickname

8. mattataki

mattataki Aquatic Astronaut

class101, could you please upload or send me the whole /chroot-starbound folder? I keep on creating it, and when I succeed, ./SteamCMD.sh won't start. If that's not the problem, my tiny flimsy server, can't handle the make install, it's so slow and all... When the server is in the make install which takes hours, my network switches SSID and I use PuTTY so the connection is lost and it won't resume after :( It takes simply so long to ask the server to do all these tasks, even your script takes for ever (nice script btw).

Server specs if it can help:
    1 Xeon vCPU
    512MB ECC RAM
    10GB SSD
    100 Mbit Network(server side) (15up/10dn on my side)

Thank you,
    -mattataki

9. I cannot share the whole chroot because is too big in gigabits and contains private datas but instead

I can share the installation of gcc-4.8.2 so you won't need to do the longest step called "Get the newest GNU Standard C++ Library v3 to /tools/gcc-4.8.2"

First get gcc compiled I uploaded here : http://goo.gl/s70p7J

If you are on 64-bit system get the file called: gcc-4.8.2-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.tar.xz
    If you are on 32-bit system get the file called: gcc-4.8.2-i686-unknown-linux-gnu.tar.xz

Upload the file in your server to the folder /chroot-starbound/tools

Now when you follow my guide and you reach "Get the newest GNU Standard C++ Library v3 to /tools/gcc-4.8.2" you will do

Code:
    yum install tar xz
    cd /tools
    tar -xJf gcc-4.8.2-*-unknown-linux-gnu.tar.xz
    Once it is extracted you can continue the next steps normally

Note: you will experience troubles hosting the starbound server on a single proc. It is already below the official minimal requierments

10. mattataki

mattataki Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks! I will try this this after-noon, I have to go at my course now but I will try it out and send the result if I was able to manage it up and running.

Thanks again

EDIT: Couldn't manage it up and working :p I guess I'll have or to wait to upgrade or wait for official release where it should be more stable and performant. I know my laptop(2-core CPU) can't run the game only my desktop(4-core CPU) can.
    Thanks again for the help. And keep up with the good work!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  11. Irval Firestar

Irval Firestar Intergalactic Tourist

Hi guys, and thanks for the great server tutorial! Still, I've got a few questions:

---

1. I've got the server running fine right now, but I had to change the echo lines a bit to this because the >> sign gave me errors:

Code:
    echo "/dev /chroot-starbound/dev none bind 0 0" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab
    echo "/dev/pts /chroot-starbound/dev/pts none bind 0 0" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab
    echo "/proc /chroot-starbound/proc proc defaults,noatime 0 0" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab
    echo "/sys /chroot-starbound/sys sysfs defaults,noatime 0 0" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab
    Does it affect anything if I do it like that, or do I really have to use the >> symbol instead?

---

2. When running the server at the end of Step 2, it showed me a live log thing of players logging in/out and world creation, among other things. Is there a way for me to view the log this way again, even when it's running as a service? (I saw mentions of screen in the startup script and I have screen installed, but I have no idea which line I should change to allow me to do this)

class101 likes this.
  12. 1. not sure this command works find haven't tested it but anyway editing fstab is as simple a nano /etc/fstab and then copy paste all you have within the quotes at the end of the file

/dev /chroot-starbound/dev none bind 0 0
    /dev/pts /chroot-starbound/dev/pts none bind 0 0
    etc.

then save the file and hit mount -a, the same way if you want to clean the fstab, you just delete the lines you have added

2.sure I made this in the service, when you are in the chroot you do service starbound connect and you ssee the libe session, to detach from it you hit Ctrl-A + D

13. Irval Firestar

Irval Firestar Intergalactic Tourist

Oh thanks, didn't notice the connect option earlier.

class101 likes this.
  14. noxturno

noxturno Scruffy Nerf-Herder

this works great !!! OH NO my server noo starbound eating all the cpu !!

15. dispereo

dispereo Intergalactic Tourist

Hi!

Thanks for this great guide. Though it didn't work 100% with my server, this guide made it work in the end. Now I've got just one problem. The server startup script to run it as a background service is not working. When I try it nothing happens.
    Code:
    $ /etc/init.d/starbound start
    $ _
    So it basically only goes into the next line, not doing anything. My starbound is in a different folder (basically under home/starbound/steam/... etc.), could that be the problem? I am not really good in linux stuff and only have very basic knowledge. I got the minecraft server to run, so there is some really basic knowledge there. ;-)

I would have expected to get at least an error message if or why it's not working. But nothing.

Anyone got an idea what I've done wrong?

EDIT: OK, it seems the "bindir" was the problem. I managed to get it to work now, though it says status [failed] but the server is running. And it asks me for a password before the service starts. Is that normal?

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  16. You need to update BINDIR of course and all the command lines with /starbound in it, you should have missed a steps and you get a permission problem(permission step I guess), thus the password asked, the Failed status should mean there is something wrong at creating/reading the pid file, the script is probably not able to write/read it and ask a root password to do it in your case

17. dispereo

Thanks class101, i will double-check!

18. dispereo

Hi,

I can't get it to work anymore, once i rebooted my VPS. And I have no clue why.

So, my start-up script paths are:

Code:
    NAME="starbound_server"
    USERID=starbound
    BINDIR=/home/starbound/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/linux$(getconf LONG_BIT)
    SCREENDAEMON=/usr/bin/screen
    DAEMON=launch_starbound_server.sh
    PIDFILE=/home/starbound/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/sb.pid
    I didn't change anything on that, however just to be sure, the launch_starbound_server.sh says:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 --library-path . ./starbound_server

The rest of the script is copy/paste and I didn't change anything. Can you tell me if I'Ve got an error somewhere.

At the moment when I try to start/stop this happens:

Code:
    [starbound@XXXXXXXX ~]$ /etc/init.d/starbound start
    Starting starbound_server:

Nothing happens for about 2-5mins and then it asks for a password (which I still haven't figured out, as it should only access the user-folder and therefore as a starbound user would have access already).

If I try to stop the server... once again I am stuck at "stopping starbound_server:" and nothing happens at all. I waited for about 5min... nothing. And the server is still running in the background.

I find this all very confusing. :)

19. too confusing setup to me, can only help if you follow the guide, its goal is to have everything set chroot+installation in just one copy paste if you want, then if you changes things you are much on your own because I can't tell you to do things when for me they are not risked in a chroot but can be outside.

Imo you better have to follow the guide and set a chroot, if you don't know what it is, in other words it is a Sandbox, if one day a serious vulnerability is found like a stack or heap overflow in the starbound_ server (which is likely to happen in a c++ software), the hacker will be enclosed in the chroot and won't have access to the whole computer, not the best security measure but a strong one most script kiddie won't be able to bypass

And I know what I'm talking about bufer overflows believe me, I have sold a few 10000$ to HP zerodayinitiative program

20. dennisdewey

dennisdewey Space Spelunker

Hi I followed your guide and was able to get Starbound Server running manually on my colocated mac mini server. I originally was using this as a web server so I stopped apache outside of the chroot. For some reason, I'm unable to reach that port from the outside. I can get to the ip address but the port is not going through. Disabled SELinux and iptables just to make sure they don't cause issues.

I really appreciate the guide though. This is my first game server and I was really trying to get it to work so I can play Starbound with one of my sons.[DOUBLEPOST=1426353913][/DOUBLEPOST]Nevermind the question. It was an issue with bind. I solved it by setting my ip address in the starbound.config and it works! I learn something new everyday.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015