1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial CentOS 32-bit/64-bit complete dedicated server guide, chroot, startup script and newest libstdc++

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by class101, Dec 15, 2013.

1. If you want to delete the chroot to restart properlyf, edit /etc/fstab and remove the lines with /chroot-starbound, then type mount -a , and then rm /chroot-starbound -fr

2. Nassai

Nassai Poptop Tamer

Thanks for the rapid response class101. Really appreciated.

Apologies for my ignorance, but I had a question. Would the installation of this software on a VPS somehow impact the IP tables?

3. don't see what you mean, if you mean does it changes the way you handle the iptables, no, just do not use the new iptables files from the chroot, keep using the iptables files from the base system.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    supernet2 likes this.
  4. supernet2

supernet2 Existential Complex

What is the average installation time of CentOS? Im stil seeing a crap ton of stuff processing through my setup right now through VMware.

Thats normal right? Its been going on since 6am when i began the installaion process, alot of that information is constantly changing. On average with is the speed at which you finished your installation Class101?

This is the command i put in which spun off whats happening here.

make -j6 install

[​IMG]

class101 likes this.
  5. The -jX options basically depends on how much task you want it running at once

Usually I set X to the number of core thread the processor has, on i7 -j6/-j8

If you want to have it fast on a VM you need to set your VM with as much cores your host has because if you attempt to compile gcc on a single processor, I already made it once, it will really be long to compile, takes more than 2hours, while it takes approx. 20 min on i7/Xeon with 4 cores 8 threads

6. supernet2

Its completed, gave it 3 cores 6 hyperthread access.

./steamcmd.sh +login login password +force_install_dir /starbound/ +app_update 211820 validate +quit

the error comes up to Unable to determine CPU Frequency. Try defining CPU-MHZ. What does it mean/ I already defined the CPU/MHZ in VMware giving it 3.9ghz per core, so 3.9ghzX3. right(?)

[​IMG]

class101 likes this.
  7. you did not mount dirs from the base system to the chroot so you chroot is unable to detect hardware specs

in short you did not followed the first steps of the guide

All the steps I wrote are not to make the guide beautiful, they are mandatory

8. Btw I notice you are loosing time typing the command manually in the VMware ugly shell

I recommand to download Kitty, connect your box to 22/SSH and get a nice shell with copy/paste enabled and lots of other nice customizations

Also get WinSCP so you can transfer files through the same port 22/SSH with sftp

supernet2 likes this.
  9. supernet2

link perhaps? and yes i am manually typing it.

As for... the rest, i thought i did follow the first step?(?) which one(?)

10. You have manually typed something wrong the first time then

http://www.9bis.net/kitty/?page=Download
    http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

This guide is not designed for typing everything manually I'm not that sadistic huhu, just copy paste the block of codes in the order starting at section 2 and you will get it, you can use section 1. to save all the commands at once locally in a file if you want.

Always use Kitty+WinSCP to administrate your local/remote boxes, you will love them, lots of options

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  11. supernet2

Probably, not sure on what i typed wrong though... seriously thought you wanted us to manually enter everything by hand so.. yeah LOL i tak it you noticed why i was so damn slow. As for the copy and paste... i will be restarting the os installation, since i did a backup before i even remotely began the setup. For just incase i fubared it, i wouldn't halfta back track to much.

class101 likes this.
  12. But still good you mention it, for me it was obvious I will link these tools in the FAQ

supernet2 likes this.
  13. PopinFRESH

PopinFRESH Lucky Number 13

Hello class101,

I followed your guide to get this server up and it was working for a few days. With the release of today's update I tried to update the server by hopping into the chroot starbound, then launching steamcmd from /tools/steam_linux using the command from the guide to force install to the starbound user and app_update starbound. This seems to have broken the links to gcc-4.8.2 because now I am getting the errors:

./starbound_server: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by ./starbound_server)
    ./starbound_server: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.5' not found (required by ./starbound_server)
    ./starbound_server: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by ./starbound_server)

I'm sure going back through the whole process will install with the updated app but I figured I'd ask if there is a way to fix what broke after updating, and also if you could perhaps append an update guide at the end of the guide.
    Thanks in advance!
    -PopinFRESH

14. //edit: Guide updated

Indeed that's not you, the Angry => Furious Koala update removed the launcher because they don't need it anymore but you do in the guide

create this file near starbound_server

launch_starbound_server.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

cd "$(dirname "$0")"

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:./ ./starbound_server

chmod 775 launch_starbound_server.sh

and you will be able to run the server as in the guide

I will update the guide with the new changes

Tech: If you want to know why you still need it, that's because you need to pass LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./ before starting the server to force it to find the new c++ links you have created in the guide

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  15. Stadl0r

Stadl0r Contact!

Hey Class101. Thanks so much for posting this guide. I started fresh and followed the guid (full copy and paste code snippet). When I try and start the server manually, i get the "cannot execute binary file" error on both linux32 and linux64. Any help would be awesome!

16. I just updated the guide with a new Furious Koala changes so make to refresh the guide page and make sure the launcher script exists (everything changed in the guide is flagged New) very liittle changes, just a file removed to set back

17. Stadl0r

Stadl0r Contact!

Thanks for the quick response. Ok so I installed the launch_starbound_server script in the correct directory, set all the permissions now this is what I get when trying to start via etc and manually

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7166/nfz6.png

Sorry for the spam

18. as the error says it does not find launch_starbound_server.sh so if you are sure you copied it to good place it is probably you are not in your chroot

you should do
    chroot /chroot-starbound
    then
    nano /starbound/linux$(getconf LONG_BIT)/launch_starbound_server.sh

because in reality the file full path should be /chroot-starbound/starbound/linux64/launch_starbound_server.sh

Then if persist you should follow all steps of the guide you probably missed something but let me know, interested to fix if it is guide error

But just for an update you should follow the steps

Enter the chroot
    Starbound server launcher script
    Set the permissions

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  19. Stadl0r

Stadl0r Contact!

Yea I think everything is fine with your guide. I followed it before and never had any issues. Im starting to think something is wrong because the assets havent unpacked in my folder

http://i.imgur.com/HW48oEL.png

20. Should be the last permission denied then

reapply the global chmods of the step called "Set the permissions"

To recap if it was working previously and no more

Enter the chroot
    Starbound server launcher script
    Set the permissions

should be enough