1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Casual or Survival?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by dullreverie, May 13, 2017.

?

Casual, Survival or Hardcore?

1. Casual

2. Survival

3. Hardcore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. srightmer

srightmer Tentacle Wrangler

For the last two weeks I've been playing hardcore. This week I finally got a character, Mariko the Hylotl, past tier five. I call her "The Seventeenth Samurai" because it took that many tries, lol. Last night I finally beat The Ruin. I've seen the video on youtube of someone beating the ruin without taking any damage but I'm not nearly that good. I put all my spare pixels into a huge elemental flufallo herd, in order to get a Perfect Set of armor as quickly as possible. Still needed a ton of nanowrap bandages to make it through the last fight. Now Mariko is retired to a life of base building, where she will no doubt die falling off a cliff collecting flower petals, or absent mindedly starve to death while getting that fossil museum just right.

If I can do it anyone can, and it really pays off in happy feelings. I was absolutely terrified going in, sure I was about to lose a week of character development, and when I finally won I was so ecstatic! Totally worth it. Haven't been this stoked about winning a game since beating NetHack.

ComatosePhoenix and ForumZap like this.
  2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yeha 95% of my death causes are dropping to death somewhere. Fall damage is the biggest threat in this game.

3. sirpixellot

sirpixellot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Survival

And about the constantly starving, in reality, we usually get hungry if we go a day without eating. Same for starbound. you die after a day or 2 of not eating though

4. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

what sucks about starbound is having to acrively eat food, if you play with a survival char and you coem tot he point youw ant to build bigegr stuff, constanteating gets major annoyance.

5. sirpixellot

It makes the survival more realistic

At least you dont starve that often

The point of the game is to survive and explore is it not?

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017
  6. M.Perruque

M.Perruque Void-Bound Voyager

Personnaly, I play in survival except for boss battle. I'm not really good in close combat and I prefer shooting my ennemy with a long range rifle.

7. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

not when my character can starve in 2 days when "realism" says 3 weeks.

8. sirpixellot

Just go to casual planets and farm all the food items, replant, and turn the entire planet into a farm.

Set up a bookmark or a teleporter and farm everything once a week ingame

Stacks and stacks o'h corn

Just make canned food and non perishables to avoid rot

I did this for manythings(tree farms, mining, ect)

9. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

do you use any mod? you can't stack corn. Only sugar, cacao, wheat and rice is stackable, so if you want to mass farm, youhave to go with these, otherwise you need a lot of storage or constant traders to sell you stuff to

and of those I would suggest only using cacao and rice as you don't need to replant them.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  10. ForumZap

ForumZap Astral Cartographer

He meant lots of corn, not literally like a stacks of them, because you can't stack them. Also, food isn't a big issue. I've only ever starved before when I was afk.

11. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

If you need to go afk, just go to the main menu or put your char in a cry-box.

12. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Survival! like any self respecting badass

ForumZap likes this.
  13. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

you can't be a badass without admitting that you are an ass :p

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  14. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I have played all the modes. First character was Survival since it was the default. found dropping items pretty annoying, so next I tried casual, but didn't like how that makes food, and thus a fairly significant amount of content, completely unnecessary (yes you can still use it for buffs, but you can just ignore it too). So back to survival next time.

Recently I've been playing hardcore with another player on a server. Currently on my 4th attempt, and I finally got T6 gear. Hardcore is a bit less painful in multiplayer, since you can help eachother past the tedious beginning when someone has to star over.

So honestly I enjoy all of them, probably casual the least, but I can understand why one might prefer that if they're mainly interested in building. Between hardcore and survival, I would say generally go with survival, hardcore is an exciting alternative once you're an experienced player.

15. ForumZap

I hear everyone takes 4-5 attempts to beat the Ruin, however I just did it in my first try. Currently on my second solo hardcore playthrough, and I don't think I've died on there yet *chuckles*. You just have to be more careful when playing on Hardcore.

16. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I've never died to Ruin, it kind of goes on too long, but I never found it particularly tough. Big Ape it seems is generally considered the toughest boss, at least in my circles. And you're quite right about being careful, none of the three hardcore deaths I had were even in boss fights, all were fairly preventable accidents. It does require constant attention though, any time you're in an even slightly dangerous situation.

17. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I never died to the Ruin, except in-canon. And I've beaten it with three characters. With two of them, I also decided to test what the XS mining mech's laser does to the Ruin. Long story short, bad idea. It may instakill the Ruin (due to the Ruin's hitbox being big enough to get hit by it six times over, but it'll lose you your framerate and with it, your mech, since the game will have progressed to the cinematic by the time the game responds again. Big Ape is, indeed, harder, at least for me, since his missile phase is a pain. Then again, I'm always reluctant to use my heals.

On a side note, it really amuses me that so many people say that combat is too easy in this game, yet people apparently die in it about as much or more than in some playthroughs of Dark Souls I've seen.

18. ForumZap

I meant like getting to the Ruin, and beating it. I meant like get through Hardcore, also, I overprepared with T6 armor and easily beat Big Ape. As long as you know his attacks (Or you can use a grappling hook to glitch in the door while you're shooting him with a one handed grenade launcher, same with Kluex.) The only thing is his rockets do a ton of damage.

19. Revenile

Revenile Phantasmal Quasar

Casual with hunger modded in. Never been a fan of losing items on death since death in a game like this can be just random bad luck. If they bring more survival elements back in later I'll mod them back into casual as well. I just don't want to lose items on death.

20. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

With your purchase of the ability to not lose your items on death, you also get the ability to stick a knife in your stomach and teleport back to your ship for a percentage of your pixels ABSOLUTELY FREEEEE!