REQUEST Casks Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ShneekeyTheLost, Dec 2, 2016.

1. ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Honestly, I'm surprised this hasn't already been done by someone. Basically, wanting casks to run anywhere instead of just the cellar. There just isn't enough room down there for the number of casks I'm wanting to make and use.

• Harzelora

Harzelora Phantasmal Quasar

I don't think it's been done yet so you could use the Extended Cellar mod by Androxilogin instead.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

That's really got too many dependencies for me to be comfortable with, and it doesn't really accomplish what I want to do. Much of that mod's extra space is taken up by a garden area unsuitable for more casks.

I just want to put casks in sheds so I can have my wine aging happen in bulk. 120 wine per two seasons is not worth bothering with.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Cant be done, Casks explicitly accept only Cellar locations, and you cant change other locations to that type without breaking their own unique properties and causing who knows what issues.

Harzelora likes this.
          • retsnom

retsnom Intergalactic Tourist

could you not just then create a new building mod that leads to a copy of the cellar map. couldnt it then be saved as celler2 in the map folder and so on like multiple sheds

• Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

Hmm.. A new location may work through ALL with the 'Type' attribute set to "Cellar". And thanks for the shout out, @Harzelora . The new Extended Cellar is up which has a suitable room (in my opinion) in the back for casks.

[​IMG]

• retsnom

retsnom Intergalactic Tourist

Yeah if anyone knows how to make the cellars like sheds they should try it out. i know i cant haha.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

ALL lets you add new Cellar and new Decoratable location types, you just cant have both in the same place due to how CA coded them.

• LeonBlade

LeonBlade Phantasmal Quasar

I just created a mod for this after seeing this thread. The solution is simple, the actual complication comes in designing a solution to avoid conflicting with the Serializer when saving the game. Unfortunately, I don't think we have any way to hook into a pre-save which would be really useful for mods everywhere.

That being said, I did come up with a solution. To explain briefly how the mod works, whenever you interact with a Cask, the game will first replace the Cask with a Hijacked version of the Cask which replaces the functionality that normally would normally stop you if you weren't in the Cellar. To get around the serialization problem, after your interaction with the Cask, it will revert back into a normal cask. This means that it will not break your game. Some optimizations can be done and admittedly the method in which the Casks are reverted back to normal is less than ideal, but overall it works just fine.

You can download the mod here: https://github.com/LeonBlade/CasksAnywhere/releases/
                    EDIT: I made a thread for it as well: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/smapi-casksanywhere.128739/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
                      HopeWasHere likes this.
                    • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Huh, I distinctly remember that I discarded that option because the Cask did some logic in its quality changing method... But after just looking at the class again I find no such thing.... >_<
                      So yeah, this mod should work just as wanted, although I find it somewhat cheaty to be able to put them literally anywhere :p

• TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Making a giant ass cellar room and adding that via ALL is no less cheaty though, heh

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

There you have the option to lock the expansion away behind a condition though ;) So at least you gotta earn it :p

• TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you're at the point where you can think about putting hundreds of casks somewhere, you will have had plenty of money go through your hands, so chances are almost 100% you got a cellar already.

• LeonBlade

LeonBlade Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe it was an older version you saw or something. I'm sure that you would have done it otherwise, that is quite strange!
                              The Casks already can go anywhere, but you can't interact with them unless you're in the Cellar which is really weird... I personally would like to filter it so you can only interact with them on your Farm, but I'll add that once I rework how they revert back to normal since I think there are some bugs with it still.

I think it's acceptable to have casks accept items anywhere but I think limiting it to the farm would be more what I'd prefer. I stopped my play-through to work on a different mod for transplanting trees so I don't even have casks or a Cellar in my game yet (still on the first Winter).