Modding Help Case Sensitivity Inconsistent?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Xylia, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So.... a mod that I really liked the look of changed the species name, which obviously breaks my character.

I found workarounds for 99% of the errors, except for...... ONE.

My crewmembers.

I was able to add duplicate ship items, I did a find+replace in my .player file to fix the issues, but I am stuck with this error:

Code:
    [18:21:14.048] [Error] Application: exception thrown, shutting down: (MapException) Key 'Dragon' not found in Map::get()
    (the mod's author changed "Dragon" to "dragon").

So, I thought.... okay, I'll take "dragon.species", make a copy named "dragon_old.species" and change

Code:
    "kind" : "dragon"
    to

Code:
    "kind" : "Dragon"
    And the game should create a 2nd species that uses all the same assets but satisfies the Map::get error (because then, the "Dragon" key would actually exist now.

But.....

NOPE!!

Apparently the "kind" field in the .species file IS NOT CASE SENSITIVE unlike EVERYTHING ELSE IN STARBOUND.

Seriously.

This is the error I now get:

Code:
    [18:40:56.456] [Error] Application: exception thrown, shutting down: (StarException) Duplicate species asset with kind dragon. configfile /species/dragon.species
    I added a _ after "Dragon_" in the second .species file and the game boots up no trouble, proving my theory right that the "kind" field is NOT case sensitive but yet everything ELSE is.

*sigh*

What else can I do to get rid of that Map::get error?

EDIT: I found the problem. some reason notepad++ didn't save after I attempted that find+replace.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I think the answer is either
    1. Accept your character has fallen
    2. Run a "mod" after theirs (using "requires" or "includes") that patches their files back to "kind" : "Dragon"

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I found the fix, lol. But thanks!

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Was the "answer" yelling at the author to not break existing characters for no reason? :D

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Notepad++, Find/Replace all instances of "Dragon" with "dragon" in the .player file and making a few duplicate .object files.

It's just when I tried that for some reason Notepad++ didn't actually save the file when I told it to.

And I'm glad they made the change for consistency's sake, but ya, it broke older characters. At least the fix is rather easy.

That case-sensitivity inconsistency with the kind in the species file is still weird though. Everything else is case sensitive except that.