1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Can't connect to my own IP

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Exterminatus!, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Exterminatus!

Exterminatus! Void-Bound Voyager

I am using Windows 7 and cable internet. I can't connect to my IP, the game says "client connection failed! Error connectiong to 'adress' port '21025'.

I already tried to open ports using my Firewall settings and switched upnpPortForwarding to false. No effect what-so-ever.

2. Mapiasa

Mapiasa Space Hobo

if you are hosting on the same computer you are playing you have to connect to yourself at 127.0.0.1
    if you are hosting on an other computer in your lan,you have to connet to his local ip(usually like 192.168.X.X)

3. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

4. Drasek

Drasek Space Spelunker

Which IP address do you use to log into your own server? I've been using my external IP. Should i be using my internal 192.168.0.X?

5. Coffeeman

You could use either. Your friends will need to use your external IP.

6. Rydian

Rydian Big Damn Hero

If the server is on the same machine you're playing on, use 127.0.0.1. That's the "loopback" address and tells the machine to connect to itself. It'll work in any IPv4 config, and is the least laggy.

Drasek likes this.
  7. Coffeeman

@Rydian It would appear that connecting to that is the problem.

@Exterminatus! Can you try running the server and connecting to 127.0.0.1 ? Does that work?

8. Triksterism

Triksterism Intergalactic Tourist

I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm not new to server hosting, been doing it on and off since the days of the Half-Life 1 modding scene (1999-2005). I have ports forwarded, I have my IP on DMZ. I was able to host Terraria servers no problem.

I can connect to my local ip (10.0.0.1 & 127.0.0.1) no problem but I cannot connect via my external IP of 50.141.207.9

9. kavex

kavex Space Penguin Leader

Linux or Windows?

Edit: I see the OP said windows 7

You shouldn't really DMZ

Do a proper port forward and disable your firewall and test it then

10. Rydian

Rydian Big Damn Hero

Most routers/ISPs will not allow you to connect to yourself using your external IP. This is normal.

If you need to test if your server is visible, you will need an outside tool such as canyouseeme.org (or simply having somebody else check).

11. Triksterism

Triksterism Intergalactic Tourist

Firewall is always fully disabled (windows services and all), ports forwarded, including the other ports (21026, 21027) just incase.

12. kavex

kavex Space Penguin Leader

If this is the case you should be able to go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ on your host machine and type in the ports and get a green success. If not then something is still being blocked.

Should only really have to test 21025

13. Exterminatus!

Exterminatus! Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the responses guys, however nothing helped.

My firewall is disabled and I can't connect to 127.0.0.1,

http://www.canyouseeme.org/ says "Error: I could not see your service on 37.195.242.90on port (21025)
    Reason: Connection refused"

I opened ports but still no effect. NetCat didn't help either.

14. Rydian

Rydian Big Damn Hero

Er, can you ping 127.0.0.1 from the command prompt? If not something's really wrong with the network config.

15. Justown

Justown Big Damn Hero

try using 'localhost' as the server address

16. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

had the same problem.
    i have a server running on my computer (along with the client)
    3 people were playing with me on it.
    then a disconnect and noone could connect, except for me but only via 127.0.0.1 not with Internet IP