Modding Help Can you situationally replace certain armours?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Feynt, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Feynt

Feynt Void-Bound Voyager

I'm working on different sized race and obviously the typical armour and clothing sets won't fit the larger base body. I was wondering is there a way (besides racial clothing/armour cosmetics) to override other armours so that they have their own look? Like, having a torn up lab coat on a large creature, or a floppy coat dragging behind a significantly smaller race?

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

It is theoretically possible...

However it would entail adding frames for every armor already within the base game and redo-ing the frames for each armor to recognize a specific race amongst any other.

In short, it may very well be do-able, however, the work it would require plus inevitable incompatibilities make it quite implausible.

3. Feynt

Feynt Void-Bound Voyager

At a general level I can copy paste the same proper form fitting armour to various file names and gradually recolour and adjust them to look like the thing they're replacing, but you're right that it would largely be incompatible. If I made it to include armours not in the vanilla Starbound set, it would add requirements for all the mods being covered, unless I broke those up into separate assist mods (requires avali and my mod, for example). I was just wondering if the system is in place that I can name something again, like the aforementioned lab coat, and have new sprites replace the old.

Is it actually that doable? Or do I have to patch more files to allow that? And I guess the greater question is will it affect everyone or just the one race. The intention is that armour or clothing would be universally wearable, but if you wore it on a different sized race the appropriate sprite would be worn instead of the generic one.

4. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Well the route I saw was more like editting the image for each armor and adding new frames to the image to fit a different body type.
    I'm not too sure of another way unless you could somehow pull off drawable armor...

I don't know everything such a task would entail, however I know it has been a widely speculated idea that requires MASSIVE work.
    There's a reason no one has been able to do it until now...

5. Chofranc

Chofranc Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes, you will need to tweak every armor in the game to fit them into your race, that is the main problem with races that have a different body shape.

What you can:
    - Copy/paste the armor that you want to fit in your race and made it compatible by naming it "yourRaceName+the name of the armor".
    - Create an special crafting table with recipes to convert vanilla armors into yours.

That is the only what that you could make compatible the vanilla armors with your race or instead of doing that, you could create your own custom armors/clothes, if you create enough, you will fill that emptiness of vanilla armor for your race.

6. Feynt

Feynt Void-Bound Voyager

Alright, I'll figure something out. I was hoping not to have to rely on making generic cosmetic armours to cover up whatever I'd be wearing that was default, that's just the extent of my desire, and going to greater lengths than making just the racial sprites is something I'm capable of doing.
    So if I'm understanding this, adding additional bsleeve.frames, fsleeve.frames, chest.frames, and head.frames at a different offset along with new textures which are appropriately larger should allow automatic wearing of different sized gear without having to craft a different item? I guess I'll need to experiment with that.

I kind of wanted to avoid adding crafting to convert standard armour into different sized armour, but if it turns out that's the only way, then that's the only way. If the above option works though... I could make a comically mis-sized version as the default and a properly fitting version for crafting the racial version. I guess at that point it'll be how much work do I actually feel like doing. >)

In the end I'm not going to replicate all existing armour and clothes at a different size, this is mostly going to be a, "I'm using this, so I should probably make it compatible" affair, but that'll cover some clothing options and of course a set of racial armours. I like some of the current racial armours too, so I might want to do changed versions of those as well.

7. Arsakes

Arsakes Phantasmal Quasar

Is it possible to restrit armour usage to some races only?

8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

An easy but perhaps unsatisfying option would be to permanently give your race the "nude" status so armor isn't drawn, but can still be equipped for functionality sake.

edit:
    Perhaps a custom status that checks the armor slots and gets the attributes of what's there. I could look for a special attribute that you add to your armor, and if not present for each, apply the "nude" status.

9. EmissaryOfInfinity

EmissaryOfInfinity Subatomic Cosmonaut

Was just about to recommend something similar, actually. It's possible to check what's equipped in each slot of a player's armor, so a rather crude - but potentially effective - solution would be to have a script running that checks what's equipped in each slot of the player's armor. You could then make versions of all Vanilla clothing and armor that fit your race's aesthetic, and if the script detects a player of your modded race is wearing a specific piece of armor, it replaces it with your modded version of that armor. Mind, I don't know how you'd set up said universal script, but I'm sure there's at least someone here who'd be more helpful on that front.