1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Can barren planets be terraformed?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RubytheKatt, May 6, 2017.

1. Flannel

Flannel Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pretty much, yes. Iirc once a planet is 66% (could just be 50% but generally terraforming is done in 3 stages minimum, unless if you have Frackin Universe planets) terraformed, the planet's main biome changes to be whatever you terraformed it to.

2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

calm down first, terraforming is a MAJOR grind.

first the guy at the outpost ask you for 10 random chosen crafting materils, such as hardened carpaces etc. So this is the entry grind for EACH instance Then within the instance you need a lot fo luck to get the right microtrasnformers if you want to do micro biomes. And you need serveral instances to even gather the energy to craft the terraformer and then ontop even more to terraform a single planet.

So if you don't want to do that via admin commands be prepared for a load of repetitive grind.

3. Flannel

Flannel Subatomic Cosmonaut

Terraform is literal end-game content that brings about massive changes to the game itself, so it makes sense that it's such a grind, but... Yeah. Be prepared to spend a long, long, long, LONG time on the grind to get one, let alone use it.

4. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

grind i never any worhty "content". And "endgame" is not really justification for grind. grind is a mndless repetition of a task. No good game implements grind unless devs are having no idea how to keep people busy porperly.
    Also, wow yeah "massive changes to the game itself" care to explain? it changes nothign except a chosen planet to an already existing biome. So all you do is imvesting a huge grind to make a planet visually how you like it. "massive changes to th game"

When did people usign thise words like "massive" for such triial things. the only true impact is, that we can finally get a Tier 6 planet of the biomes not normally tier 6. But thats not massive, thats like bringing back what we had behind a massive grindwall.

5. Goncorer

Goncorer Void-Bound Voyager

Calm down dude.
    I understand the idea behind the grinding. It's to try and keep things balanced when your working with machines that can (pretty much) re-make an entire planet.
    Although, endgame, there's not much need to keep things balanced, But still. Good intentions.

6. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

What balance? There is no balance in this game?

7. Goncorer

I mean the balance of to easy versus to hard. If it was to easy, some people might find it boring.
    While having them from the start might be cool, Not everyone wants that.

8. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

See thats what I don't understand.

what is easy and hard? the game is currently very easy in my opinion.
    How is grinding the xtremely simialr looking modular dungeons for the terraformers hard? all it does is a LOAD of runs which are easy (but grindy) after you even grinded more of the required components to buy the key.

So please explain me where there is balance, and how repeating an easy process just a LOAD of times is creating "balance". All it does is causing it to be a boring repetitive task, and thats the definition of grind. I don't want them from the start But have you doen and counted the amount of runs you need to terraform a planet for that energy requirement? It's horribly boring, adds nothing for the gameplay and all that just to get a specific planet and it's diffiiculty to look visually different (which btw in Koala was existing already by the created universe).

bad gameplay is "endcontent" consisting of a grind for no real gameplay unlokcing features as terraforming is mostly a visual thing than opening a new gameplay component.

and the mechs have gotten the same "endcontent" grind. it is easy and I can make the hardest ones already wit the basic mech. I have serveral top blueprints already, yet not enough materials. And so i decided to drop the "mech" feature. Simply becaue all that is now to do here is: doing those ship assaults a load of times to get upgrades for my mech I have no need for because I can do them already in my current simple mech. What kind of balance is this? This is actually no balance ad all, not even any progression. All that those top mech upgrades do is making me complete those levels faster to gain more mech blueprints faster that I already have or are inferior. And it makes me farm those mech component increadients faster which once I have the upgrades to farmt hem faster have no purpose anymore. So where is the progression of unlocking new gameplay or getting some new equipment I can't get lready with my crappy startermech? And thats exactly the lack opf progression because I don't unlock something new by gameplay. and thats the lack of balance, beeing able to assault the hardest ships successfully in the crappies mech available.

Those terraforming instaces are no different form the same progression/balance lacking features.

The "coolest" part of them is you can upgrade some low level unqiue wepaons to higher levels and make them not worthless anymore. ut I wish we could do that to all regular weapons as well, since otherwise finding a higher Tier version of that same weapon is again just planethopping grind.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  9. Goncorer

I understand what your getting at. all i'm saying is I get why it's there, (That is, trying to get a balance) I didn't say that a grind is a good way to accomplish that .
    I've never completed the game yet, so I can't say I feel your pain with the grind, But I do agree with you.