Question Buying a new computer soon...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aegis J Hyena, May 7, 2016.

1. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

So I'm now browsing computers on Newegg as my six year old computer with a GT520 video card is slowly succumbing to dementia or something similar. I am an utter idiot when it comes to all of the technological arcane babble that most computers show.

This is a list of the computers I'm interested in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221144 (looks like a "no signal to monitor" issue though, some cards are not placed right? Requires tinkering? ehhhh... twitchy.)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221142 (apparently a "hybrid drive" as well as the no signal issue... I'd rather have a solid hard drive I can pick up in my hand, so I can just swap out my HD into the next computer...)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221131&ignorebbr=1 (I'm leaning toward this one the most, despite what appears to be a video drivers not found/updated issue)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230086 (This is the other one I am leaning toward, though I hear "i5"s are bad and that I should aim for an "i7")
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102075 (looks like a hit or miss in the reviews... I'm not enthralled.)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230050 (My gut makes me go "GTFO!", but still)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101274&ignorebbr=1 (loud hard drive, looks like a lower end video card too. *shrug*)

The collective intelligence here is a lot smarter than my forrest gump brain when it comes to purchasing a computer. Can you make heads or tails of the technojargon and tell me which of these would be the best for my money? I'm not looking for high high high end games, but something that'd run ARK well, No Man's Sky, Mordheim, Dragon's Dogma... (and yes, even Second Life, since I use that program as well)... something like that.

(offtopic, I'm looking for a couple of people skilled in Reddit and "getting new subreddits noticed"...)

2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

I can help with this if you need me too.

Its not up to everyone's tastes, but have you considered making your own computer? Sometimes this can be better for you, and mostly cheaper (depends on what stuffs you wanna use). If not, I can make some sense out of the links you provided.

The 3rd link you provided seems alright, it has the i7 Intel Processor, which forgive me if I am wrong, has capability to use 4k display? If so its no use without something like a monitor or TV with a 4k display, which is very pricey. So the Processor seems fine and has 4 cores which should be enough.

It has an SSD. Which is good, I don't have one myself, but they're a lot faster than normal drives.

The GTX760 is very good, its the upgrade to mine cus I have the GTX750. Even the GTX750 is good enough to display higher visual games like GTA 5 and still run 2 more screens with the game opened on the third.

It also has 8GB RAM, which is about needed for games now. Although thinking about it (dunno if its just me) but if it were me I would try to double up for 16. Hell I'm thinking about doubline mine up to 32 for the hell of it. The only downside is there's only 2 slots for RAM sticks here. So if you ever decided for more memory, there's not much more you can add, and if you are gonna add some, just match the amount of RAM in the first slot.

#4 in my honest opinion is not worth it. Its so much more for a couple of things to be worse than the third one.

I have heard the i5 is worse than the i7. I have an AMD Processor, so I don't use Intel anymore.

Thissun seems more expensive than the other cus there are some things that are better. But not by much honestly.

• Power supply has 600w compared to the 300/400w?
    • GTX980 Graphics over the GTX760. I'm 100% sure the GTX980 is one of the best graphics cards out there.
    • 16GB RAM. Double the Memory than #3. And its Corsair's Vengeance RAM sticks. Which are the ones I use.

#5. Seems really good. Keep in mind I have not looked at the price of this one.

• Yes, it again only has x2 RAM slots, but this one is nice enough to tell you it holds a maximum capacity of 32GB. It comes with 8GB, In x2 4GB Sticks. If you wanted to have the maximum amount you can have x2 16GB in this.
    • 2TB HDD is more than enough storage. And assuming you are gonna use this for playing games this is a lot of space. The thing that appeals also is the 240GB SSD that also comes with it. I know 240GB Nowadays don't seem like much, but if you are a big game player, store a huge game or two, maybe even 5 onto the SSD and you will be better off.
    • Again, this also has the GTX980.
    • Does not say what Power Supply this has, Which is a lil bit of a bummer.
    #6. Interesting how your gut feeling says nope. I think otherwise.

• AMD 8 core processor. More cores the better methinks. (Coming from the gal with 6 cores)
    • Something not Intel. People don't really like AMD. I dunno why. Its never let me down.
    • Your GTX980
    • Downside: And pretty sure this is to nearly if not all of these: Windows 10. Am I the only one against it? Windows 7 is so much better. My own perference really.
    • Downside: RAM Capacity of 16GB. Even though 16GB is enough I dunno I guess I like tech over killed.
    • 2TB HDD. No SSD like the others. But still 2TB is more than enough storage.
    • Downside: Looks yucky. Again, my own pref.

#7. Nope. It looks basic as hell, and really:

• The Graphics card is a lot more crap then the others'
    • Looks nothing really too special.
    • RAM is not upgradable. Only supports 16GB, Comes with 16GB.
    • 2TB HDD which really is not much point if the card cannot run the games you will wanna play.

#1. I noticed how thissun lets you select some stuffs like SSD option and what Graphics card. I like your selections.

• On board 16GB RAM. No say on Maximum capacity. Like I said, 16GB is quite good.
    • SSD. Good.
    • *feel like I am repeating myself a lot here*

Me myself I would pick #5. Its not the cheapest. It isn't the most expensive. To me, it looks quite nice, The stuffs are good inside for the price (saw it now). You will get an SSD and you even have the option to increase your RAM is you decided you wanted more.

I'm probably not gonna be the best person around here to help you with this, but I tried to help as best as I could. And honestly? I'll stick to the decision of #5.

That took a while to do.

3. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

If I knew how to build one without being more scatterbrained than a Novakid (nevermind the fact that I seem to give off an anti technology vibe from all the things I've fried over the years) I might.

Thanks for the information --- anyone else here on the forums have anything to add?

4. Arthanen

Arthanen Void-Bound Voyager

I really just reccomend building one yourself. The case doesn't really matter, i have a boring old black one, as long as the case has someplace for the fans to work with good air circulation and what not it should be right.

I'm currently rocking a 970 and can run a majority of games 60fps Max with graphics mods, the only game I struggle with is Dark Souls 1 :zzz:.

And also, it depends a heap on your budget, I'd recommend going to a part selector website and trying to get the best price for parts.