1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Building the Inferno Guard

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by PyreStarite, Sep 20, 2015.

1. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

So my little space mercenaries that nobody remembers have all met up mostly safe and sound. Two characters remain to arrive at the build site of their little mercenary fortress, but 4/6 is good enough to start building. What I want is kinda... well a fortress, and I posted this to get some ideas on what I should build. I have already started on one wall that looks over a cliff.

[​IMG]

I would like some ideas and tips as to how to continue this, and any advise is appreciated. My build palate consists of dark toned stones and bricks kinda like in Glitch castles. I have about 2800 Large and Small Glitch bricks remaining, as well as a small sample size of different moon rocks and rocky bricks. I want this to be my base base for all my characters so armories, smithy, storage, and maybe a bunk room should be discussed. I will now hand it to you guys for discussion.

2. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Coming in from left, maybe you could enter to a room for crafting as you just came back from exploring and have items to smash together.
    Then the room after that might be a bunk room with storage for dropping off items and resting after a day's worth of exploring.
    Maybe have a second story that has the kitchen and a view of the land for the diners.
    Since it's made on a cliff, i might suggest a tunnel that allows you to get to the bottom of the cliff.

sheeshaslasher likes this.
  3. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

why did you place the teleporter on the dirt instead of on a brick foundation?

4. PyreStarite

Because its a shortcut and I didn't have anything planned out except the cliff and the temp base ended up really getting in the way and I need a new teleporter now...

5. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

you could've used a flag instead.

6. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

...and a plan what to build first. ;)

7. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

To plan this out, I would write all the rooms you want on a piece of paper, spaced out, and start connecting them with lines/arrows for their related functions. What needs to be next to each other and what is kinda separate? You could also colour code things that need more protection (and thus are underground) or those that are offensive (and thus next to walls). Then I suggest you do a simple block diagram of where the rooms are going. This might even give you an idea of relative sizes, but should be enough to get you started on framing the rooms.

Have fun.

8. PyreStarite

Sorry its been so long guys. I figured I should at least give an update to the base so you can see but I felt bad not heeding Edge's advise and building another way. I kinda just wanted to articulate ideas that I could mash together and only got a few participators....anyway

[​IMG]

The main door opens into a large lobby with room for lots of things to show off that leads into a ladder which leads into the storage which I have already found to be NOT enough space for the combined collection of 6 hoarders. The Teleporter room sits right next to the crafting hall which still needs to be filled with high tech goodies that I don't have yet. The ladder can continue up and down which I plan to. What I plan on next is the garden going over the teleporter and the kitchen and mess hall right next to that. On the far right maybe a library if I can squeeze one under the barracks. What do you guys think? Anything else I need perhaps?

1nfinitezer0 likes this.
  9. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

Amazing! I would recommend building a tower shooting up past the ladder, to make it look more keep-like instead of militaristic-fort-like (unless that's what you were going for). You could build a bedroom up top as well.

Also where'd you get that distress beacon decoration and how can I get one for myself?

10. PyreStarite

The beacons can be found on snow worlds. (The lower tier kind with glow jungles and alpines) on top of what appears to be a small research lab. Fairly common spawn. They also spawn with cheap lights, levers, 2 desks and a microscope decoration.

EDIT: Yes, I am going for the fort style build. Its a mercenary base after all. :)

11. PyreStarite

Update. Imgur is being weird so lets see if this works.

[​IMG]

Oh goodie, we all survived. That's a plus. Anyways I got the mess hall and kitchen done. Still working out how the barracks and library are exactly going to work. Also trying a new lighting arrangement that lights up way better than the oil lanterns. Also trying to squeeze in fans and AC every now and then. Good news is the only things left are either underground and the CO quarters. Peace out!

[​IMG]

Oxidis and FloomRide like this.
  12. PyreStarite

Pssst. Not dead~

[​IMG]

Let me run you down on what's here.

On the bottom left is the kitchen and mess hall, and the kitchen leads up to a small garden. Across from the mess hall is the library and reading nook. And across from the reading nook is the bunk room for lower level members. Above the bunk room is Riley's quarters, which sits across from the Armory. Above the armory is CEO Jewel's quarters, which for whatever reason sits across from the bathing chamber. Elizabeth, Launa and Ordenance do not get rooms because for the moment they have decided to live on the ground. The tower continues to go up but have conveniently cut it out of the screenshot because they are unoccupied for future members and I wanted the roof to be more garden but I forgot and made it battlements instead. Peace out!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    FloomRide likes this.
  13. PyreStarite

*cough, attention nut, cough!*

Just past the front door.

[​IMG]