1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Buildable Custom Shipworld File/Mod (UPBEAT GIRAFFE) Version 1.2a

This is a .shipworld file and a mod which both let you build your own ship in Upbeat Giraffe.

1. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Skhmt submitted a new mod:

Buildable Shipworld File (UPBEAT GIRAFFE) - This is a .shipworld file that lets you build your own ship.

Read more about this mod...[DOUBLEPOST=1422698797][/DOUBLEPOST]

If you're bored or curious, here's how I made this...

First I unpacked the assets. To make it easy I went into starbound/win32 and copied both asset_unpacker.exe and pcre3.dll to starbound/assets and ran the console command "asset_unpacker.exe packed.pak unpacked_assets" which unpacked all the art and such into the folder "unpacked_assets" within the assets folder.

I went into ships/human (race doesn't matter) and copied the blockkey.config, humant1blocks.png, and humant1.structure into a new folder on my desktop.
    I then made a private-use mod in giraffe_storage/mods/ . To do that you make a new folder (say "private_ship"), then make a text file within it called "private_ship.modinfo".

That text file contained only:
    {
    "name" : "Private ship mod",
    "path" : "assets"
    }

I then recreated the file structure in that folder as well... assets/ships/human and into that I put the copied blockkey.config, humant1blocks.png, and humant1.structure. I also made a folder for quests/tutorial which i'll use later.

I opened up humant1blocks.png in photoshop (mspaint would work too), made it 256x256, and re-designed the ship layout. Re-designing a ship is based on the pixel color in RGB format (plus alpha, although it's never used). Each pixel color is defined within blockkey.config, each representing a foreground and/or background tile and/or an object. So after figuring out which colors represented what, I changed all the red to white in file (red being invisible barriers) and added a new colored line to make some ground to stand on. Then in blockkey.config I changed everything that said ""unbreakable" : true" to false and added an entry for the color I made so it would have a foregroundBlock value and a foregroundMat value. Finally I edited the humant1.structure file to remove the background image and grant the ship FTL, teleportation, etc. You can compare the t1 to the t8 structure files to see how to do that.

So that made the ship, more or less. Because it's the t1 ship and not the t0 ship, the act of turning on the ship's lights (as a human in this case) despawns the previous shipworld and changes it into this shipworld. Part of that is a bug that causes you to fall through the ship (or at least that's what happened to me). I just quit and reloaded, and spawned ontop of the ship's teleport pad as intended.

To get all the items, I copied the tutorial1.questtemplate file into the quest folder I made earlier. I added a section called "rewards", the format of which you can find on other questtemplate files. I got the names of all the ship-specific items I needed like humanshiplocker, humanfuelhatch, humantechstation, humanteleporter, humancaptainschair, boosterflamehuman, etc. from all the race-specific ship blockkey.config files and made them into the quest's rewards. So the end effect is that completing the quest to retrieve your flashlight from the locker gives you a whole lot of items.

For finishing touches, I organized the "spawned" items into the ship locker, did some minor reconstruction on the ship's layout, then zipped my .shipworld file. After testing, I uploaded it and here we are!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Tsaryu likes this.
  2. Stychok

Stychok Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry it works but is messed up for me ; i still have my default ship and this mod's ship at the same time

Skhmt likes this.
  3. Skhmt

That's weird, it works for me. You didn't replace it while the game was running, did you?

4. Stychok

Nope , even if the game/launcher was either running or not it still does this

Skhmt likes this.
  5. Skhmt

Just making sure, you completely removed the old .shipworld file out of the "player" folder right? Not the ".shipworld.bak1" right? I mean you can flat out delete the .bak shipworld files too, but it shouldn't be necessary.

How far are you in the game? If you made a new character and just turned on the lights (reboot the A.I.), that should be all you need to do to then swap over.

Also do you have any other mods?

And anyone else getting this problem?

6. Stychok

I've beaten dreadwing and the erchius horror

I've got no other mods installed

Skhmt likes this.
  7. Skhmt

Can you try on a new character just to see if we can isolate this problem?

Also, what OS are you using?

8. Stychok

I've tried and it didn't work , i'm using 64-bits windows 7

Skhmt likes this.
  9. Skhmt

I am too.

I honestly don't know. I need to figure out if anyone else is having this problem, maybe I can see some common threads emerge. Can you post a screen shot of what it looks like?

Update: So repairing your ship's thrusters breaks it. Trying to figure out why and how to avoid that.

Update 2: Well I figured out the problem. Fix incomming.

Update 3: Ok fix is in the system.

If you have previously downloaded this, please update before you spend too much time making your ship. It will wipe your ship. And if you don't update, you won't be able to FTL anywhere.

So here's what happened... I thought tier 1 was the complete ship ready to FTL travel. That wasn't the case... tier 3 is that ship. And for some reason, even if you try to enable FTL via the .structure file, the game won't recognize it. That was totally my fault for not testing this.

So the method to use this is to get a T3 ship (as in, repair your FTL drive) THEN replace your .shipworld with this file. It also probably won't work if you're planning on replacing a T4 or higher ship.

You can cheat your way to T3 as a new character by typing "/admin" into the console, which will allow you to progress from t0 to t3 without actually gathering any materials - you just have to talk to SAIL a few times. You can then turn it off by typing "/admin" again into the console so you aren't cheating.

As before, DO NOT upgrade your ship any further once you have FTL working. Thanks Stychok for being a beta tester lol.

10. Skhmt

11. Stychok

Thank you ! it works now , really appreciate the effort man

Skhmt likes this.
  12. Skhmt

Thank you for pointing it out Stychok!

13. Xentor Antarix

Xentor Antarix Ketchup Robot

Ehm you know you must update your ship, because other way you get no progress in the Outpost misisons.

14. Skhmt

I can't really fix that while keeping the mod working for both single and multi-player.

Do you actually HAVE to upgrade your ship though?

15. Xentor Antarix

Yes, if not you get no new quests (and so not the needed suits for survive on the different Planets)
    When you did all available quests, the ship NPC sells you the new Shiplevel, when you update it, SAIL saiys "Now there may be new quests" and ... than you find the next Questline on the Outpost. (New " ! " Signs above the NPC heads).

Perhaps (onlky an idea), why you let not do the Shipupdates, and let than grow the buildable Area. I mean, you start with the normal shuttle size (as optional buildarea) and let than grow with the Shiplevels the optional buildable area? (Not the real builded ship itselfe)

16. Skhmt

I just beat the floran party and mechsuit missions without having to talk to the guy about a new ship license. Is the mech suit last boss? Are the rest of the quests just side quests?

There's no really easy fix. I can replace every single tiered ship in the game with the little cargo container I have... it'll probably allow you to progress in the story (while playing single player) without losing what you've built.

17. Xentor Antarix

The Mech Suit is the last big Quest, yes.

Skhmt likes this.
  18. Skhmt

Thanks. Hm... I might work on it later as an optional update. Unlike the last bug, this isn't game-breaking right now. It's just side quest content. And I think the type of person who wants to build their own ship is the type of person who likes sandboxes rather than railroads.

Oh you also need t4 for the wiring tool. Damn.

Do the tiers after 4 (first space upgrade) do anything besides space?

19. Sirex

Sirex Void-Bound Voyager

How do i get t3 ftl? i mean i have a t8 ship so is that what you mean?

20. Skhmt

I'm not sure if you can replace a t8 ship with this one. I've haven't gotten past 4. Give it a try and let me know?

I'll make a t4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 replacer version eventually.

Tsaryu likes this.