1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Bug with paint tool

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by soopytwist, Aug 20, 2016.

1. soopytwist

soopytwist Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]

I can't paint in the grey areas for some reason. Have tried all colours and removing the wall and replacing - still can't paint in the areas not already painted green in the above screen shot.

2. soopytwist

And here too:
    [​IMG]
    The game won't let me join the orange, purple and white lines. Nothing paints in those areas.

3. boondasa

boondasa Void-Bound Voyager

I have a similar issue, mine kind of looks like the shadow of a cavern or something but that could be a coincidence. Also from the looks of it I think we're both on barren planets so that might be related to the problem as well, although i haven't tried it on other planet types yet.

upload_2016-8-20_22-20-28.png

4. soopytwist

Hmm. I haven't tried this out on non barren planets. I figured building a base on a barren world was a good choice since there aren't any monsters to get in the way or large cavernous gaps to fill in in underground.

I have found a solution to the problem though. For the areas that don't paint fill them in with foreground blocks then paint those and then remove the foreground blocks and the background will be painted. It's a pain but it works.

5. boondasa

Thank for the tip, I just tried it and can confirm it works. Also I just stumbled upon something myself. Do you see how there are tan and pink varieties of dry sand? Many of my unpaintable tiles are in spots where the pink sand used to be, try placing dry sand on the border of your unpaintable areas and you'll see what I mean. If this is true then you could solve the problem while your digging by just painting any pink tiles as you go.

6. soopytwist

Confirmed boondasa, background (wall) pink sand cannot be painted over unless you paint over foreground first. It only applies to pink sand I think - have tested lots of other block types and they're fine. Chucklefish need to see this. I tweeted them but got no reply, maybe because I'm not following them.

7. boondasa

Well this bug is a non-game breaking, cosmetic bug that can be corrected by the player so I'm sure it would be low on their priorities list if they did know about it. I hope they fix it too but ultimately I think the main benefit of this thread will be helping other players with the same problem.

On a different note I went around to a few other planets to see if they had any similar issues. I found that most blocks with any color besides their default one have the same glitch. The only exception I found to this was normal dirt. Blocks with the default color all seem to paint fine.