1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue BSOD and then lost all my bookmarks??

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Syranic, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Syranic

Syranic Void-Bound Voyager

I did the restore method of backing up saves and renaming .bak1 to the originals. This restored my saves since my character was deleted after rebooting my computer. (lost about 2 hours of progress, but whatever)

However, the most severe loss is all my teleport bookmarks are gone, including my colony which I've spent over 24 hours on! Why did my bookmarks disappear? Please tell me there is a way to get them back...

edit: I managed to find my colony again from tracking a quest, however, the Outpost is broken. It's back to it's starter form and there's no way to do the quests there again. All my main quest NPCs are gone, the shops are all closed, the main quest is broken.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Extursion

Extursion Space Hobo

Same issue- Blue Screen'ed and when I launched - all of my bookmarks were gone (which was track-able through the asset files) as well as my homeworld's colony being as you described- bugged out.

3. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

yeah I had this problem last night too

4. Extursion

Extursion Space Hobo

So- I finished the grand library quest hoping that might force the fix- It only made it so half of the outpost works.....

Update:
    On a whim I decided to revisit old missions- so far it seems to be working. After the mining facility again some shops reopened- will test with dreadwing/plant place!

Update's Update!:
    Finishing the Florin Dungeon replaced the lost gem/florin companion! Off to Dreadwing!

What it seems like is if you BSOD you need to redo the missions- I'm not sure if you need to actually complete them or if you only need to launch them- I didn't check that :/ Well my game is fixed! As for relocating your home planet you can kinda track it down following these steps: http://playstarbound.com/how-to-retrieve-your-home-planet/ in the Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/storage/universe folder location.

I also did a Steam cache Integrity Verification and fixed 1 file BEFORE RERUNNING THE MISSIONS (not sure if that helped!)

Update!! The plants on my home world(Where I made my super farm :zzz:) ceased growing. So I had to replant them and that seemed to fix them. Not so sure about my silk farm and animals..... (GG- hope I don't have to murder them.....)

- Silk is fixed if you break it and replace it- Dunno bought the farm animals.

--- Post updated ---
    So I guess you can fix everything but farm animals as far as I can tell :eek:

5. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

Yeah, your world is still there. It just... somehow thinks your character is "new" and drops you off at a random gentle star. The only way to get back what you were doing before is to hunt through some files and find the coordinates for the systems you had bookmarked. And you have to redo the main missions to get the outpost functioning again. It really stinks. =\

6. Majgamer

Majgamer Void-Bound Voyager

Where do you find said files? Would be extremely helpful.

7. MkLBR

MkLBR Void-Bound Voyager

Same thing happened to me and I quit so hard I went to sleep. Ugh... time to do every quest again, I guess...

8. Gypsysmoke

Gypsysmoke Void-Bound Voyager

I have lost 2 homeworlds (10-15 hours building up, a lot of pixels spent) and am in the process of rerunning the first 3 quests (again).

It's amazing that they introduced a game breaking bug in 1.0, this didn't happen in the 1.0 beta, or any of the builds previous to that...

so as someone who put nearly 500 hours into the pre-1.0 builds, I ask completely earnestly...wtf?

Seriously, if anyone has any fixes for this, or knows a mod that backs up your game automatically, please post here.

9. Shaden

Shaden Void-Bound Voyager

Heya,

I just experienced this same thing tonight, where an evil BSOD occurred. Later I noticed that the teleport of my ship only had a bookmark for the current planet.
    Since I had just subscribed to a bunch of mods on Steam, I first assumed one of them must be the culprit but unsubscribing didn't help and restoring backups also didn't help, to which I
    I say, WTF?? Seriously! What use is it having backups when they don't even restore integral things like bookmarks???

So after researching the internet a bit, first finding this thread and ultimately experiencing the disappointment of the fix here not helping at all. I rummaged around my folders noticed that the universe sub-folder
    of my storage folder had files dated back to the very first day I started playing. Then I realized the name of the files in the universe folder indicated the coordinates of the planets I visited. So for instance, a file was
    named 216059279_-422579258_-22549376_2_1.world, I loaded up my game and inputted x: 216059279 and y: -422579258 and there was my starting galaxy! From there, I was able to find the coordinates of other planets I'd found as well.
    I hadn't started a colony or anything myself so I can't help with whether or not that information can also be found in the files of the 'universe' folder but at the very least, it helped me get back to my starter galaxy
    which has the lovely poofy and fluffy cotton ball trees that I love so much. ;)

10. Gypsysmoke

Yup, that will work unless your home planet becomes a FAIL file, which happens if the crash occurs when you're on the planet (I think, or it's just random). If that happens...well, I've seen a thread where a programmer was able to disentangle the file (at least partially, in some cases)...but, unless you have those skills, it's gone.

And, beyond losing the planet, losing game progression is troubling (I've finished 3 missions, can redo in 30ish minutes...what will it be like when i have all the missions to redo?.

11. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

yeah, recovering bookmarks is a pretty simple/easy (though still annoying) fix. The lost progress is the worst. There needs to be an automatic back-up system to prevent .fail files so that you can recover your last working universe. :(

12. Gypsysmoke

I suppose it's lucky I discovered Rimworld the week before 1.0 hit.

I'm guessing NMS will be out by the time this is addressed.