Modding Discussion Bridges n stuff

Discussion in 'Mods' started by skooma, Apr 5, 2016.

1. skooma

skooma Poptop Tamer

I like having the pond at the south of the farm, but after running around it for the millionth time, it's gotten kind of old. I know there are mods that move the ponds, or even completely remove them. However I really don't want to do either of those, since my farm setup is pretty much completely figured out. I did search for a bridge mod already but didn't find anything.

So if someone could possibly do something like this, I'd love you for it:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• raenevigil

raenevigil Phantasmal Quasar

Seconded.

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

I'll take a look and see what I can do.

skooma and raenevigil like this.
        • Jinxiewinxie

This turned out to be a labor of love. Here's screenies from in game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the files for it are attached. You'll note I've included 4 additional .xnb files called season_outdoorsTileSheet.xnb where season is each of the 4 from the game. That's because Farm.xnb is hard-coded in the game itself to use those tilesheets dynamically as the season changes. There wasn't an appropriate tile in them that I could use to end the bridge, so I had to create my own and put it in a blank spot in each of the seasonal outdoor tilesheets.

Take all 5 of the files and place them into your Stardew Valley/Content/Maps folder (after you make a back up of your original ones in case you hate the bridge I made, I know its not perfect) ^_^

Let me know if you have any difficulties or specific requests about changing it.

Attached Files:

• raenevigil

Thanks! Trying it out ^^

• skooma

skooma Poptop Tamer

That looks awesome! Thanks so much, I'll give it a try.

Jinxiewinxie likes this.
              • raenevigil

Love the bridge, thank you so much! Made life a billion times simpler to just go straight across.

Jinxiewinxie likes this.
                • Jinxiewinxie

So glad ya'll like it ^_^

• BasVonSpace

BasVonSpace Tentacle Wrangler

This looks great, I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks for taking the time to make this mod!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Any chance you could make a SMAPI version that works on the same principle as Advise's farm expansion?
                      I really prefer not messing with the XNB files directly since it has such a high chance of disappearing on me if stardew updates :p

• Jinxiewinxie

Maybe. I'll pester him and see if he has any solutions for this. The main issue is that his mod uses the code to add a warp point to a new map. While adding a bridge to the farm isn't a new map, its the same one. I could maybe do some crazy changes so that when you leave your house you are warped to my new map and you never have access to the old one. But that seems crazy (would have to use code to edit the warp from the bus stop, from inside the cave, from the north entrance and south entrance to to ensure they all lead to the new map).

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Yeah, but he isnt just adding the warp point, he's also adding a whole path through the cliffs, hence my idea that you could use it to dynamically add the bridge?

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Come on Jinxie, I thought you knew better than that. Of course you can add a bridge over the map without editing an xnb file! We'll plot out the tile edits later tonight and then make it into a mod.

Superior_s and taintedwheat like this.
                            • Jinxiewinxie

Derp. Thank you ^_^

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
                                taintedwheat likes this.
                              • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Hey guys, when you do release this as a smapi mod, could you remove the gravel path to the shipping crate?

(Also another request <make two dog bowls in the original square it is initially is>, please?)

• Jinxiewinxie

Hmm, I just tried it and the bowl tile looks a little ugly right next to itself because of the shading and ground stuff around it. Can try it and see what you think at least though. Just waiting on Advize to hold my hand while I frolic through his code and it'll get worked ^_^

taintedwheat likes this.
                                  • taintedwheat

Something like this maybe,
                                    upload_2016-3-30_20-53-18.png

Jinxiewinxie likes this.
                                    • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Before this turns into a weird niche mod with 100 versions for everyone's unique tastes, we'll just make a config to allow for certain things. Wait, we could technically create a config file that allows for people to specify their own tile edits. You could literally change as many as you wanted. Hmmm, I should look into the feasibility of this...

• taintedwheat

Dude, I feel it. Really it would be taxing to keep fixing this for everyone @_@

I just mentioned this not just myself but for people with multiple pets >.<
                                        But if there is an easy config way, sure!

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

I actually think I may just make a utility for non-coders to edit existing locations as well as add new ones. You would be able to specify a location to edit, tiles to edit, warps to add, tile properties to add, and new locations to add. This would all be done by entering in a few values to a text file. Not sure when I'll have the time for this but I see it as easily doable.

bulbaswat, Ichimatsu, ClxS and 5 others like this.