Modding Help Breathable Asteriod field in Spirited Giraffe

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by The Ghost of Ember, Apr 25, 2015.

1. The Ghost of Ember

The Ghost of Ember Void-Bound Voyager

I'm attempting to modify the Asteroid biome on the latest version of Starbound. In previous versions the No Air effect could be removed by directly editing the world file by using a hex editor. Now it appears the world files have undergone some kind of modification or encryption to hide the strings, so that option is off the table. I've tweaked the "airless" and "breathable" function in the json like this:

"airless" : false,
    "breathable" : true

to no effect. This works for the moon biome but the asteroid biome is no good. I can't find any other field in the JSONs that effects breathable atmosphere. I'm hoping it's not hardcoded.

Any suggestions?

2. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Not sure what you're trying to do, but doesnt this part of celestial.config and the knowledge that the dmg kind "breath" can be disabled / altered help you?

"baseParameters" : {
    "worldType" : "Asteroids",
    "description" : "Asteroid Field",
    "smallImage" : "/celestial/system/asteroids_small.png",
    "atmosphere" : false,

3. The Ghost of Ember

I've attempted to modify that to true to no effect.

I help run an RP server and I'd like to change the spawn planet to a prebuilt space station in an asteroid field, but since I need to disable the breath damage so newbies don't get instakilled for not having breath protection I've got to disable the damage somehow. I've considered doing it on a planet in the space area above the planet, but the sun rising and setting kind of ruins the deep space effect.

Disabling the breath damage might work, but it's rather drastic. I'd like to keep it planet bound if possible, which can usually be achieved by generating a planet on single player and transferring it over.

4. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Oh, gimme a few min, I'll take a look into it then. There's surely a way.[DOUBLEPOST=1429925614][/DOUBLEPOST]So, I wanted to try disabling the said line, then removing it, if that didn't work I'd go for the stats.
    However, I didn't need to go as far, setting this line to true, removing the universe folder and visiting a new asteroid field did in fact work.
    No breathdamage at all.

I'll keep looking for now tho, there might be more solutions.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  5. The Ghost of Ember

Here's my current celestial.config AsteriodField Data.

Code:
     "AsteroidField" : {
      "satelliteProbability" : 0.0,

"baseParameters" : {
      "worldType" : "Asteroids",
      "description" : "Asteroid Field",
      "smallImage" : "/celestial/system/asteroids_small.png",
      "atmosphere" : true,

"maskImages" : "/celestial/system/asteroids/base/maskie<num>.png",
      "masks" : 3,
      "dynamicsImages" : "/celestial/system/asteroids/dynamics/<num>.png",
      "dynamicsRange" : [1, 10]
      },

"variationParameters" : [
      {
      "imageScale" : 0.15,
      "worldSize" : "debrisField",
      "smallImageScale" : 0.5
      }
      ]
      },
    Delete the Universe, roll a new character, /admin them to repair FTL and run them over to the nearest Asteroid Field, then /admin off.

[​IMG]

No good.

Do I have a typo in there or something?

Here is what I have for the Biome file as well:

Code:
      "name" : "asteroidfield",
      "friendlyName" : "Asteroid Field",
      "airless" : false,
      "breathable" : true,

6. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

No, thats alright, I just noticed another mod I'm working on conflicted with the settings, didn't work for me on vanilla too.

However, one thought crossed my mind.
    Let's assume it's hardcoded, you could create a breathable asteroid biome by copying the normal values of another biome but implementing the asteroid generation types.
    This way you'd have a normal asteroid field with breathable atmosphere. (Doesn't mean I stopped looking for other solutions yet, tho, just an idea)

====

Kk I officially give up.
    Can't find or think of any way to make the existing asteroid biome breathable, tho I bet it's very easy.
    There are a lot of workarounds tho, easiest thing for you would be taking another existing planet, using particleboost of something to get pretty high up and set the spawn there, building a simple base by yourself.

Really, idk if it's sleep deprivation, stupidness or the headache, but I can't seem to find any way modifying the existing breathable function. Sorry :S

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  7. The Ghost of Ember

I've been working on it on it on and off for the past day. It just seems strange that they hardcoded this for one biome type only.

8. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Thats true, but since Asteroids is the only biome without any real use for now...
    Who knows, maybe they're working on something big with it? :p
    CONSPIRACY!

9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The breathable component is part of the biome file.
    This component doesn't change on already visited asteroid fields.

So when you do change it to true, you need to visit a field you never visited before.

Dunto likes this.
  10. The Ghost of Ember

As noted, the breathable switch in the biome file has been changed to true, and I deleted all the universe files in between modification attempts to determine if this was the case. If you can provide me with a biome code or a generated asteroid world file that does provide breathable status, I would be eternally grateful. As it is I'm looking at perhaps doing something with the Gate world instead.