Black Dwarf Stars

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by sagenth, Jul 20, 2017.

1. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

While I'd love to see loads more star types, I would particularly like seeing Black Dwarfs implemented. A theoretical star which exists at the end of a star's life cycle. It no longer generates heat, but slowly decays it since it has to radiate it into the vacuum of space. Bump the generation of midnight planets to 100%, maybe come up with a few new ones and you've got yourself a tier 7 system in the making. It'd be cool to see everything we know of in the universe in starbound, but I'd settle for black dwarfs. Neutron stars coming as a distance second, and white dwarfs as a close third.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Lazarus Mandas

Lazarus Mandas Void-Bound Voyager

the only problem is that black dwarves don't even exist yet in our universe, because they take from 10^15 to 10^25 (depending on some theoretical shenanigans)) to make. The time since the Big Bang is 1.4x10^10 years. That means that at an absolute minimum, we're missing 5 zeroes, and if WIM particles exist (explaining Dark Matter), we've got 15 zeroes to go. Keep in mind that in our standard numeral system, each zero has 10 times the placeholding value as the one before it (hence why Scientific Notation uses 10^x notation). That's an unfathomably large number of years. It's nowhere near as long away as the heat death of the universe (~10^100), but it's still heckin far away dude.
    although that's a heckin cool idea for some spooky shenanigans.

3. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

Well neither of us are likely to live long enough to see real black dwarf stars, so might as well settle for the next best thing.