OOC Beyond the Stars (Applications Open)

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by RowanEx, Sep 25, 2016.

1. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

Beyond the Stars is a roleplay based on my old roleplays back in the day I was starting. Usually, I would conjoin both of the OOC and RP thread, but this time, this is different. Sort of.

Setting:
    Beyond the Stars is located in a Starboundverse-like universe only with one crucial part missing. The Beast from the Sky doesn't land on Earth but instead was immediately destroyed by a mysterious force known as the Authority. The Protectorate exists, merely as a diplomatic alliance in order to sustain trades and protect each other's backs. Esther Bright still retired from Grand Protector status and found the Ruin. Now, you don't roleplay as the newly-graduated Protector who found an Ancient Gateway and helped Esther Bright save the universe. No, you play as either an Outcast, Exile, or a Civilian. But wait, who are you again?

You are an Outcast. You were thrown out of your home for quite a while, and you have just enough to make your own working non-FTL ship. Scrambling to get your materials, you saw something in the distance and checked it out. To your shock, it was an undamaged FTL Drive.

You began to configure your ship as soon as you installed the FTL Drive. Contemplating over your work, you smiled. You can now explore the universe at a whim of the button, or so you think...

"Hello? Hello! Don't hang up, I'm an Exile, just like you. Wait, what does Exiled mean, you ask? It's an acronym and it means Experimented Intelligent Living Entity. Why we're made, well, basically, we were test subjects until we were released without memories. That's why we're called Exiles. Funny thing; they gave us a ship in return. It also has a funny SAIL. ... So, I guess, as we recover our forcefully removed memories I hope we can... meet up."

"Now, listen closely, something's with the FTL engines as of late. I can't say much, but it seems like we're not the only univ—— No! Stop! Don't touch that! Exile, I don't have much time but the Erchius crystals are forcing certain individuals into this Gatewa— Stop! you'll kil—" *bzzt*

You won the lottery. The prize was a fully-upgraded ship. That's all, because what can go wrong?

Just kidding. You are either a regular civilian or a tribe member, a Protector, or a Soldier. Now, you heard about this "windows to other universes" and decided to check it out/investigate/lock it down. Once so, you seem to have managed to destroy/corrupt your navigation systems. Good luck.

Features:
    • Every race has dæmons - physical soul manifestations that reflect the man's characteristics and are the opposite gender of their owners. They can talk and they're like your conscience walking on fours (or twos if we count birds). They are comparable to spirit animals, only with that they're breathing interactable... souls? Here's a better description on where I got them.
      • There are cases, however, of certain persons without dæmons.
    • There are no Novakid and Glitch. The Glitch weren't glitched and Novakids didn't happen.
    • Avalon(Avali) exists. Equestria(Ponies) exists. Gallifrey(Gallifreyans/Time Lords) exist.
    • Florans act the same say as they are, but most of them are aggressive because they were bullied by other races.
    • A certain section of the Grand Multiverse(The Internet) is accessible. They are accessible through a certain Ancient Gateway the introductions hint at.
    • A new species called Leraan. The Leraans are human-like but has an average life span of 600 years old. They have bunny-like ears oddly located just above where the human ears would be. They name with a prefix "El'" and two or three-syllable words (an example of a name is El'Nir). The females are more sensitive and would fuzz over things. The males too on a smaller scale. They're good hunters.
    • The capture pods look more or less like red-white surprise capsules with a button.
    The Accessible areas of the Grand Multiverse:

• The Whoniverse (Doctor Who) [02]
    • Vanillabound (Vanilla Starbound Universe) [01]
    • Leraan Home Universe/Leraverse [05]
    • His Dark Materials/Lyra's Universe [04]
    • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic-verse [08]
    • Men In Black universe [07]
    • Minecraft-verse [03]
    • Pokémon-verse [06]
    • Avali-verse (Avali are Dominant) [09]
    • Journey-verse (Wiki Info) [11]
    • ?????? [10]
    You'll just have to find all of them yourself. There are twelve universes, excluding your starting universe) involved and four of them are hinted in the features section. Three has been given. Due to having two characters in, six has been given. Oh, I'm sorry. Did you want to guess?

Character Sheet: (*=optional)
    • Race:
    • Name:
    • Short Backstory*:
    • Description:
    • Personality:
    • Dæmon*:
    • Who are You?*:

Sheet Information:
    • Race - This is where you place your species, whoever it is. Usable: Human, Floran, Apex, Hytlotl, Gallifreyan(and Time Lords), Ponex, Avali, Leraan.
    • Name - A basic identifier.
    • Age - Recommended ages are from 14-19, and 21+
    • Gender - Enough said.
    • Short backstory - It is optional in case that you want to add more than the Setting restriction.
    • Description - This is where you tell how the character looks like eyes, and clothes. Or even facial features.
    • Personality - You can add your likes, dislikes, and even how the character acts here.
    • Dæmon - As explained, the physical soul manifestations of a person.
    • Who are You? - This is where you place if you're a Civilian, Outcast, or Exile. You can surprise others by not adding this on your character sheet and instead hint it in the description.
    Once we have enough, we will begin.
    One more left, and the RP officially begins!

The Red Gateway is Open.

> Remade some things in this RP. (sept. 28)
    > Multiverse random begone! And added something in the character sheet and gave more hint what(oct. 2)
    > deamons (oct. 3)
    > dæmons again (oct. 7)
    > announcement~ (oct. 23)
    > third person! (nov. 1)
    > one more universe and the gateway will take the second planet... (nov 25)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  2. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

So... this is a multiverse RP? Your setting seems to be scattered, mentioning some things like the Ruin being destroyed (if that is the Beast you're referencing), but then bringing it up again with Ester. The titles Outcast and Exiled seem redundant, as well, unless you have some special meaning to differentiate them. There is a lot of information about the races, but that seems to be it, as far as features go. The dæmons thing seems a bit odd to throw in, as it doesn't really fit with the multiverse setting. Why can these races summon soul manifestations, when others cannot? What gave them this power and how is it used? Also, in terms of the story, what are people supposed to be doing? Is there a way to travel from verse to verse? Does everyone have this ability, or just the players?

Moving on to your character sheet; I believe merging the first and last name categories into just 'Name' would be fine. If people see no need to have a last name, they won't add one, and thus reduces clutter on the sheet. Your age range excludes kinder-gardeners, 13 year olds, and 20 year olds. Other than for the youngsters, is there a particular reason for excluding these numbers? Saying that female Leraan are sensitive (which can have several meanings) without explaining the how or why is a bit odd. Explaining this new race in full would be much better before letting the players use it. Next, I believe that the backstory should not be optional. Getting a good sized backstory down allows for players to get a good sense of where their characters come from, their motivations and a bit of insight into their personality, as well as help their fellow players when having the characters interact. I also think that your requirements for the personality section should be a bit tighter than 'It can affect the roleplay', because there is no way it won't. A simple thing to add would be listing the character's strengths and weaknesses, their character flaws, likes and dislikes, how they interact with others, etc.

I'm not writing this post to be mean. On the contrary, I think this is a massive undertaking that could be great, but needs some work before releasing it to the masses. If you want any more help, there are a plethora of roleplayers here that you could ask, me included.

ColdYeti958123 and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  3. RowanEx

Well, I am used to jump-in threads, and I haven't got to think my roleplays through... thanks for the info.

ColdYeti958123 likes this.
  4. DustyScabbard

It's not a problem. Most roleplays around here tend to have some more structure to them, so I didn't want yours to be overlooked due to a lack of polish. A jump-in RP sounds interesting, although a tad chaotic. But who knows? Maybe you'll bring something new here by having the roleplay setup that way.

5. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Try putting your RP thread in your forum signature as well. and also post it in your profile page :)

6. DustyScabbard

@RowanEx Nice job updating the information here to tell the players a little more about what's going on. However, you took out most of the multiverse information, leaving only a mention to 'windows that lead to other universes'. I'm guessing that means that there are these portals in space that connect one universe to another, and finding out which goes where is something that the players will have to come up with themselves. Since the scope of this RP is going to be pretty big, what with people crossing from one universe to the next, how do you plan on dealing with player actions? Will they be totally self-run, or do you plan on having some plots that involve the places that the players go to?

ColdYeti958123 and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  7. RowanEx

There are portal to other universes, yes.
    I have some plots in mind, so I suppose.
    And I think I'm going to re-add the multiverse information... with a more streamlined format.

8. DustyScabbard

Great, let me know when you do!

9. RowanEx

I just did.

10. DustyScabbard

Now this, this looks like an awesome RP. I'd say this is just about ready to run, all you need is some people. I'll see what I can do for an application, as I have some ideas in store.

ColdYeti958123 and RowanEx like this.
  11. DustyScabbard

Well, here you go. Hopefully more will show up after this one.

Race: Human
    Name: Aiden Tsiruano (Sir-oo-ano)
    Short Backstory: Aiden used to be a private detective on Earth, but one day work up with half a year of his memories gone on an unknown planet, and the only thing in return for it was a ivory mask attached to his face. He now searches the galaxy, and now other universes, for the answer to his missing memory, and the mask that hides his face.
    Description: Aiden is a tall, lean fellow, standing at 6'4". His hair is short, and a bright blond color, despite his age. The mask he wears is ivory, with black down-turned rectangles acting as the eye holes of the mask. The border has a golden trim. As for his clothing, Aiden usually wears a dark red cloth duster, a button down shirt, and a pair of slacks. Accompanying this are a pair of sturdy leather boots, and black gloves for his hands. Inside his coat, there is a sewn in holster for a sidearm, but it is empty.
    Personality: While he may look like an imposing figure, Aiden is a relatively nice guy. Thanks to his line of work, he tends to be logical and can form decent arguments when trying to make his point. While he tries to be helpful with his work, and in his life in general, Aiden knows full well about his mortality, and doesn't have a hero complex. Aiden prefers not to use violence to solve issues, and tries diplomacy first before the lead starts to rain. When it does come to his work, however, Aiden tends to be somewhat of a workaholic, focusing on solving cases than finding time to sleep or eat. And since he lost his memories, Aiden tends to be more aggressive when tired or irritated by some things.
    Who are You?: Civilian

12. RowanEx

Uh.... I think I forgot the dæmons in the character sheet. Yeah... you're in. Once we have enough, I'll start it up.

13. DustyScabbard

Great. Do you mind if you could explain a little of what dæmons do, exactly? They're opposites of their character, but what can they be used for? Can people see each others dæmons, or are they visible only to the owner? Are they summoned, or are the always present? I feel like there is also some connotation that they are to be used in combat as well, but I may be wrong.

14. RowanEx

Well, there are two things that I have to implement for this;

Summonable dæmons - For those who want to keep their dæmons a secret, but it's more dangerous
    and the Normal dæmons - Styled like the ones from Philip's His Dark Materials.

And I didn't mention becauze it would be absurb that if you hold a person's dæmon in a wrong way the person would feel that they were being also held in the wrong way.

15. DustyScabbard

Ah, I didn't know about this, due to never having read those books. Seeing as not everyone will start in that universe, will players have their dæmons from the beginning, or only once they reach that world? Also, would it be alright if Aiden did not have one? I'm not being lazy about editing my application; it has something to do with his character.

16. RowanEx

Sure, I guess we can say that Aiden is a lucky guy.

17. themushroomlord

themushroomlord Pangalactic Porcupine

• Race: Leraan
    • Name: Sarrti
    • Short Backstory: I am an EXILE, due to a error during the memory erasion I was rendered insane and I now have split personalities which I hear as voices in my head. Sarrti is a name I came up with.
    • Description: I have an unremarkable body, with short white hair, most of my appearance is conveyed through the expression of my current personality, which is usually a very exaggerated and animated personification of an emotion.
    • Personality: I have five main personalities, the first is overly happy child like, the second is aggressive and brutish, the third is calm and brooding, the fourth is an anarchist who enjoys nothing more than causing chaos and my final personality, the one thats in control most of the time simply acts like an almost normal person.
    • Dæmon: my dæmon is a duck...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    ColdYeti958123 and RowanEx like this.
  18. RowanEx

You're in. Though a duck dæmon... lol. Don't quack on the others, then? Whatever.

A Leraan who had forgot even his name and got multiple personalities instead and assigned himself a non-"El-" name... that's actually a good plot point I never went to cover. Heh. Still in.

19. DustyScabbard

Nice to see another person has joined. I'll be interesting in seeing how you handle the split-personality issue. More often than not I've noticed it's used as a throwaway character flaw which really has no effect on the character's personal life, identity or how they deal with the other personalities.

20. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Race: Hylotl
    Name: Qisin Khilt
    Short Backstory*: Before she had her memories stolen, she lived with her older sister Cyila on the slum planet of Teissis. Before they were separated, the two were as thick as thieves. Literally. Cyila was the sneaky cat burglar, Qi was the more subtle pickpocket... That was a while ago... But now? Who knows...
    Description: Rather short in height at a flat 4' 10", with black scales, white underbelly, and tight fins with night blue webbing.
    Personality: She is very nervous and constantly on edge. She is very paranoid of dangers and will often always resort to hiding to escape danger. She is also a kleptomaniac, compulsively stealing jewelry and shiny things, especially things of the color blue. Most anything of a pretty deep blue color will draw her attention.
    Dæmon*: A small nighthawk Dlisq, who typically remains on her back, in her bag (if available), or nearby. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1477088985.741082.jpg
    Art by @Crossfang
    Who are You?*: EXILE